ASAT Special-DFS

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:20 pm

I had a call the other day from American Guitar Boutique (AGB) telling me about an SC@ in Bel Air Green with a matching headstock and a vintage v neck. It was a special order that they had sold to someone and it was now available. I have pretty much the same thing in Fullerton Red with a Vintage C neck. I decided to drive out and take a look. It was as new with a DF but something else immediately got my attention. An Asat Special in Equatorial Mahogany with a DFS had arrived as the last of their order. It was High Gloss EQ. Mahog. with a GOT neck and locking tuners (Schaller) but the DFS was magic to me. There are very few around and I know that Boogie Bill has a Deluxe with the DF and has mentioned that it is heavy. I picked it up and this baby was light and beautiful besides. I have a hollow Special with a saddle lock and it is sweet. I have always wanted an Asat with a DF but had never run into one. The DFS even makes it more interesting. I had another guitar with me (Fender) and was prepared to do some serious negotiating. Seriously, you don't have to negotiate with these guys. They are fair from the get go and are a treat to do business with, a Blue Chip G&L dealer.

It came home with me (big surprise) and Ginny gave it the heads up. I checked the setup and it was as a G&L comes from the factory and right on for most people. The fit and finish is stellar, alignment of the neck and pickup poles are dead on so now it is time for the setup. I adjusted the relief for .006 and lowered the action to my liking and the neck is perfect, no buzzing or fret problems. Just what I would expect. There is a problem however and the Top Hat knob on the pickup selector can interfere with the trem bar. That is an easy fix and I fixed it the same way I fixed the Asat/Bigsby. I had some extra Fender barrel knobs and they solve the problem. I have no shame and no one else would ever notice. We all have dark secrets. It weighs in at 7 lbs and 4 oz. A lightweight considering it has the DFS. Here are some pictures and I cannot give it the tone check until I get my custom 15 back in another week. It sings unplugged. Here it is.-- Darwin

Re: ASAT Special-DFS

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Oh man you are killing me. An ASAT with a whammy bar is my dream. BEAUTIFUL . . . .

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Wow! Let us know how that DFS works out. I plan on getting one on my LE-2.

Cheers,

Will

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:12 pm

"Absolutely fantabulous!" the man said with slight amount of envy coming through in his voice ;)

- Jos

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 pm

why did they have to ruin that guitar with a pg? that would be close to an ideal asat for me.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Darwin
Thanks to your glowing reviews of both the shop where you go (AG&B) and a previous brief review of a mahogany SC2 there, I have purchased it online from them and should have it in transit! The way you describe the character of the mahogany makes me believe it will suit me as much as you.
Thanks

Jeremy

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:15 am

Nice one Darwin, not going to be many like that around. Looks like a gloss finish on the body - is your other one the same, or is that one satin?

jdavies wrote:Thanks to your glowing reviews of both the shop where you go (AG&B) and a previous brief review of a mahogany SC2 there, I have purchased it online from them and should have it in transit!

I ummed and ahhhed about that one for a loooooooong time, Jeremy, and now that it's sold I'm kicking myself for not getting it! Looking forward to reading what you think of it.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:02 am

Wow Darwin,

Another fine specimen you have! The combo of mahogany, semi hollow, and DFS must make that thing sing unplugged. Close to acoustic territory i bet :alright: . Not to mention very, very unique.

I am sure glad that i live on the other side of the great lakes from AG&B and you..... I could see me getting into A LOT of trouble going shopping with you :happy0065: . Enjoy that beauty - I will certainly check back for your impressions once you get her plugged in to the 15.

Scott

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:48 am

Thanks for the comments folks. I am really happy with this one.

Louis, I agree that it would have been fabulous with a pickguard. However I am glad that it is Tortoise.

Jamie, this is a high gloss and my other one is satin. I do prefer the gloss.

Jeremy, I suspect that you will be very happy with the SC-2. More than once, I thought about bringing it home. If I didn't already have an SC-2, it would have been a no brainer.

Will, the DF is really sweet. When you get yours you may want to change the Top Hat as it is almost the same height as the trem bar. The barrel knob solves the issue very well.

A comment about EQ Mahog. It is a wood with a lot of depth and changes in the grain become apparent when you move it under light. It can look very light in color and yet when turning it a bit it becomes darker. It seems as though it would be a difficult wood to bookmark perfectly. It is very different and the High Gloss really shows this. -- Thanks -- Darwin-- I am down one more Fender.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:20 am

Another great score Darwin!! ;) Are you planning to order an LE-2?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:41 am

Thanks Lefty, I am still pondering.-- Darwin

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:18 am

darwinohm wrote:Will, the DF is really sweet. When you get yours you may want to change the Top Hat as it is almost the same height as the trem bar.

I wonder if I can get that done before it leaves G&l?

Cheers,

Will

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:42 am

Will, I just realized that it won't be an issue on the SC-2 body style. It has a toggle switch and it is in a different location. -- Darwin

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:50 am

I just sent an email to Dave, Paul, and Spencer about Darwin's suggestion of using a Barrel tip on ASAT models built with
one of the optional vibrato bridges.

I'll post a followup when I hear back.

:ugeek:

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks Craig, much appreciated. -- Darwin

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:53 am

Craig wrote:I just sent an email to Dave, Paul, and Spencer about Darwin's suggestion of using a Barrel tip on ASAT models built with
one of the optional vibrato bridges.

I'll post a followup when I hear back.

Here's Dave's reply:

Hi Craig,

I totally get it. I'm a bit concerned about adding another one of those "if you order this we'll automatically change that" situations. We'll discuss it for sure.
Meanwhile, it would be no problem to request the barrel tip on an order.
Thanks a lot, Craig. Dave

I'll add this to the Are there any "off menu" G&L options? post in the G&L Knowledgebase.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:07 am

darwin, what is that big gash on the backside of the guitar?

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:36 am

Not a gash Louis. This is a part of the wood grain. Eq Mahogany has a very dimensional grain and changes as you move it. There are also spots that look like big water droplets such as to the lower right of the back cover about an inch and a half to the right as there are on the front when viewed from different angles. They just stand out when the light hits them a certain way. Although some may consider these things flaws in the grain, they add to the beauty of this wood in my opinion. There have been comments by people on patterns in the necks on some instruments. Beauty marks to some, flaws to others. By the way, the gloss finish on this thing is perfect. Thanks Louis.-- Darwin

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:28 pm

darwinohm wrote:Not a gash Louis. This is a part of the wood grain. Eq Mahogany has a very dimensional grain and changes as you move it. There are also spots that look like big water droplets such as to the lower right of the back cover about an inch and a half to the right as there are on the front when viewed from different angles. They just stand out when the light hits them a certain way. Although some may consider these things flaws in the grain, they add to the beauty of this wood in my opinion. There have been comments by people on patterns in the necks on some instruments. Beauty marks to some, flaws to others. By the way, the gloss finish on this thing is perfect. Thanks Louis.-- Darwin

good to hear. that thing on the lower bout towards the back really looks on the pic like there is a big dent. pics can trick you.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Craig, I missed your Barrel switch tip reply. Thanks. -- Darwin

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:10 pm

With that body wood and the maple neck, I think the black pups / tort guard look great.
And I bet it's fun to play on! Nice buy.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Nick, I love Asats but also like vibratos. This one has quickly become one of my favorites. It does play!-- Darwin