series/paralell switch on l-2000 30th anniversary

Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 am

I have owned several other l-2000 and 2500 basses and the series/paralell switch on all those basses had a two position switch. I just got a 30th anniversary l-2000 and the series/paralell switch is a three position switch with a third tone option. Can anyone shed some light on what this third position is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, its just none of my other basses had this option. The other toggles are as normal, pick-up selection and pre-amp control.

Re: series/paralell switch on l-2000 30th anniversary

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:17 pm

That's odd, if only because the G&L site simply lists it as a series/parallel toggle. Typically a third position would indicate a single-coil mod. I'm assuming you bought it new? If not, it's possible the previous owner modified it (it's a popular tweak). Otherwise, I believe you can special order them from the factory this way (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't know why that wouldn't be the case for the 30th Anniversary model as well. Perhaps the dealer you bought it from special ordered it that way? They might be able to shed some light on that.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:58 pm

bestfor33 wrote:I have owned several other l-2000 and 2500 basses and the series/paralell switch on all those basses had a two position switch. I just got a 30th anniversary l-2000 and the series/paralell switch is a three position switch with a third tone option. Can anyone shed some light on what this third position is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, its just none of my other basses had this option. The other toggles are as normal, pick-up selection and pre-amp control.

Madcity Fats wrote:That's odd, if only because the G&L site simply lists it as a series/parallel toggle. Typically a third position would indicate a single-coil mod. I'm assuming you bought it new? If not, it's possible the previous owner modified it (it's a popular tweak). Otherwise, I believe you can special order them from the factory this way (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and I don't know why that wouldn't be the case for the 30th Anniversary model as well. Perhaps the dealer you bought it from special ordered it that way? They might be able to shed some light on that.

Since I did not know the answer, I asked Steve Grom for his assistance.

Here is his reply:

All the 30th Anniversary Basses were done with what we call "K" wiring. The middle mini toggle is a 3 way and provides the standard series/parallel switching, along with the single coil option. Any yes, any L-2000, L-2500 or ASAT Bass can be ordered with "K" wiring.

All the basses we sell to our distributor in Japan are always wired this way. We thought it would be a nice little extra to include on the 30th Anniversary L-2000

I hope this information helps

Thanks

Steve Grom

Hope this helps.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks for the info about the K wiring