Replacing the neck on a Legacy Tribute?

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:27 am

Is this possible? I know I can't replace it with a Fender neck because of the overhang, but would it be possible to replace it with an American Legacy neck?

Re: Replacing the neck on a Legacy Tribute?

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:20 am

agbasp wrote:Is this possible? I know I can't replace it with a Fender neck because of the overhang, but would it be possible to replace it with an American Legacy neck?

I have sent your question to some contacts at G&L. I'll post a followup with any reply I get.

Stay tuned.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:17 pm

Here's the reply from Steve Grom, Director of Manufacturing:

A Fullerton-made Legacy neck will work on a Tribute Series Legacy. There might be some minor issues with the fit of the neck into the neck pocket on the body depending on the dimensions of this specific Tribute Series body. There could be a small gap between the neck and the walls of the neck pocket or the fit could be a little too tight and the pocket would then need to be opened slightly. In the case of the fit being too tight, we recommend having a qualified service tech install the new neck.

I hope this information is helpful.

Hope this helps.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:21 am

Thanks!

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 am

Personally, I wouldn't put an American G&L neck on a Tribute. The reason being, I've found that the Tribute neck heels are generally cut at 2 3/16" wide, while the American versions are 2 1/4". I've seen this in the past, and it requires shaving some of the heel off of the American neck in order to fit the Tribute. Then, if you want to put the American neck back on an American guitar, the neck pocket will be way too sloppy. At least this has been my experience. If anybody knows differently, please correct me. Good luck with the project!

Jim