1983 SC-2/HG-2 Mystery guitar

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:24 pm

While hunting for a vintage SC-2 I came across this guitar, http://www.emeraldcityguitars.com/product/1983-gl-sc-2/

At first glance it's an SC-2 with the second body type, but the pickups appear to be HG-2 style humbuckers crammed into modified single coil covers. And the bridge pickup isn't slanted like an SC-2, so perhaps they are stock?

I found the same guitar in the registry and the previous owner's comments are "possible HG-2 prototype. Humbuckers under single coil pu covers. bridge pu not slanted, says SC-2 on headstock. upper horn cut flat." However, if it was an HG-2 prototype, shouldn't the body be the first style?

I'm no longer personally interested in buying this guitar, as I contacted Emerald City Guitars and the price is rather on the high side, in my opinion. I haven't spent a lot of time on the boards here, but I've gathered it's against the rules to post prices, but if anyone wants to know what they're asking feel free to pm me.

I'm still quite curious about this guitar, so I figured I'd see if anyone has any more information or ideas on it.
Last edited by kilgore on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 1983 SC-2/HG-2 Mystery guitar

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:30 pm

you can post prices on the used guitars ...... just not new ones ..... looks interesting , I thought maybe a F100 with a SC 2 neck ??

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:44 pm

Ah cool, they're asking $2295.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:53 pm

The bridge pickup is not slanted on the HG-2 model. It looks to me like an HG-2 body with a SC-2 neck.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:31 pm

Sprinter 92 wrote:The bridge pickup is not slanted on the HG-2 model. It looks to me like an HG-2 body with a SC-2 neck.

That's what I think as well. The only thing weird with that is the pickups though. If you zoom in on the photos on the Emerald City Guitars site, it looks like they are in single coil SC-2 pickup covers that have been modified. I just realised that I made a typo in my first post, I meant that the bridge pickup wasn't slanted like on an SC-2.

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:$2,295! WOW!
That's a lot of coin.
It's cool looking for sure!
Tim

I agree, definitely cool looking. But not $2295 cool, that seems way overpriced to me.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:57 pm

The neck seems to be a very early SC-2 since by February '83, less than half a year after its introduction, most SC necks had G&L stamped closed Schaller tuners instead of these diagonally cut machines. The body is a 2nd style body, which was introduced early '84 when the SC-2 made a reappearance after a short hiatus. However, I do not think these are HG-2 pups but rather F-100 pups. The spacing between the 2 rows of pole pieces looks a bit wider than what i see on my HG-2. So it seems to be either a special order or an employee guitar. But it is good to see somebody played the crap out of it. :happy0065:

I might take a look in person tomorrow. :searching:

- Jos

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 pm

My bet is that those pickups are early HG pups with prototype covers. Too thin to be F-100's.
I remember seeing similar covers ,5 years or so ago there was a discussion about a guitar that had some like that.

It's possible none of the parts left the factory assembled as the guitar we see now... it could have been assembled from parts (really cool parts ;) ) from the 90's garage sale ,ebay,etc.

I like how the plank used for the body was widened with a center strip.

elwood

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:14 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:The neck seems to be a very early SC-2 since by February '83, less than half a year after its introduction, most SC necks had G&L stamped closed Schaller tuners instead of these diagonally cut machines. The body is a 2nd style body, which was introduced early '84 when the SC-2 made a reappearance after a short hiatus. However, I do not think these are HG-2 pups but rather F-100 pups. The spacing between the 2 rows of pole pieces looks a bit wider than what i see on my HG-2. So it seems to be either a special order or an employee guitar. But it is good to see somebody played the crap out of it. :happy0065:

I might take a look in person tomorrow. :searching:

- Jos

I'd love to hear a report on how this thing plays! I'm in the Vancouver, BC area, so not horribly far from Seattle but far enough that I wouldn't go check it out unless I was really serious about it.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:23 am

I know of this guitar - it used to belong (or still does) to a muso mate of mine in Seattle. He bought it off eBay bout 10 years ago. I've played it and have heard it in a live setting in a small tavern. It does have HG-2/Cavalier Humbuckers in it but the covers have center holes also for stock MFD single coils pu's. For this reason + the not slanted bridge pu I believe it is a prototype. Can't really attest to it sounding good but it was being played thru a small all tube Pignose combo so think that played a huge factor. It has an awesome somewhat chunky (#2) neck profile.

I featured it in a LR report a couple of years ago...

Here's a close up of the pu's -

Yeah, pretty high price tag but par for the course in regards to vintage guitar dealers... but not really if one takes in consideration its Old School Leo all the way - nitro finish on the neck, nickel plated tuners, and high quality parts (same CTS pots & switch) + attention to detail as Pre-CBS Fenders...

Expect to see more of the same price-wise as more and more Dealers/Collectors wake up to & smell the coffee (and/or profit margin)
Only reason IMO folks balk at the high priced ones is b/c they been so low for soooooooo long.

I say - Get em while the gettin's good... times be a-changing....

Cheers,

KF

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:32 am

Katefan wrote:

I featured it in a LR report a couple of years ago...

Here's a close up of the pu's -

Right on, Thanks KF.
I knew I'd seen those covers before.

EW

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks Tim, and Gabe.
The man with the Dragon Bass, Steve made some cool axes .

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks for the info! Still a very cool guitar regardless of how it came to be.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:35 am

Hey gang,

Update on this older thread. After 6 months I finally got myself to actually check out the instrument when I dropped of my Lacewoods for appraisal. I talked with Jay Boone, proprietor of Emerald City Guitar, about the guitar and looked it over a bit. Beautiful sounding and looking instrument. The sanding sealer finish gives a very tactile feeling to the guitar very akin to the more recent NENA series of instruments. I corresponded with Gabe about the instrument and he basically rehashed what Tim states above. Jay mailed me a couple of days later that 'that crazy G&L' was sold. And that was the end of it I thought.

Imagine my surprise when a month later I drop of one of my Collings acoustics for appraisal and what do I see on the sales floor? That crazy G&L! This time I was even allowed to take a peek under the pup covers. Played it another time and decided that being given a second chance it was time to take it home, a little cheaper than for the original listed price mind you ;)

And then the fun started: take it apart, photographically document it, send some emails to Gabe again and the end result we both came to is thus:
This is (one of) the first and one of the few, if not only, surviving HG-2 prototypes which was finished June 3, 1983. That date is written in pen in the spring cavity under the sanding sealer.

The reason it says SC-2 on the headstock is merely that a SC-2 neck made January 24, 1983, was used for this test mule.
ImageImage

Likewise, the bridge of a '82 S-500 was used, as already stated above.

The pickups are prototypes of GHB pickups used in the HG-2 but with considerably fewer windings. The DC-impedance read 4.10kΩ for the neck pup and 4.12kΩ for the bridge pup.
ImageImage

Steve Reed purchased the guitar in February 1985 in what effectively was a company sale of test mules. You can see more pics of it on its page on my website, including the weirdest, and clearly non-original, hard-shell case I have ever seen.

There are many more interesting details that I cannot disclose because some gentlemen are writing a book. Oh, that darn book again!

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:50 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:56 am

Jos , seems like cool G&L's seek you out :) glad you got it !!

Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:20 am

Fumble fingers wrote:Jos , seems like cool G&L's seek you out :) glad you got it !!

Yeah, it;'s kinda spooky ;-)

- Jos

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14 am

Jos, another great score! -- Darwin

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:14 pm

Hey Jos,

Sweet find! I just want to be your shadow for a while and find some of these hidden treasures. :evilgrin:

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Congratulations!

Ken

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:25 am

Thanks guys,

Here's some additional information. There has always been some confusion whether there was ever an HG-2 released with the 1st style Mustang body. Paul Bechtholdt claims in his pamphlet "G&L: Leo's Legacy" that the first HG-2 with S/N G010604 rolled off the line the same day as the first SC-2: 8/31/1982. Based on what we know now that is highly unlikely. I claim there are and never were any 1st body style HG-2s, which explains why none are registered. Gabe has cobbled a fascinating history of the HG-2 together providing very firm evidence for this assertion but, as per stated above, you'll have to wait for the book. He also knows more about what ever happened to the illusive HG-1 which seems to be the Moderne in the G&L world ;-)

- Jos