Tribute ASAT Deluxe in Gloss Black

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 am

I ordered one of these recently from MF since it was on sale at what can only be considered a steal price, but the lack of any real information is making me kind of nervous. The only two Tribute models shown on the G&L site and almost anywhere are the flamed maple Trans Red and Trans Black and even the description on MF notes the have flamed maple tops but of course the gloss black does not. I wonder what else is not accurate, like the Paul Gagon pickups. I don't see it being a knockoff or anything but it sure is hard to find any real info on that exact model in gloss black.

Does anyone have any info or a guess on why this is so hard to track down? Is it a former color offering or...

Thanks in advance.

Re: Tribute ASAT Deluxe in Gloss Black

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:52 am

Also does anyone else already own one? :)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:30 pm

here's the spec page and the acurate info , who knows who does the MF internet for them ? .... G&L's info is what you should go by

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/Tr ... /index.asp

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Nnanji wrote:...Does anyone have any info or a guess on why this is so hard to track down? Is it a former color offering or...

In addition to what Fumble Fingers said, don't waste your time soliciting hearsay and speculation. It is a means to a dead end. Seek the truth.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:50 pm

hey, i ordered one too.

apparently the black is a new model that's exclusive to musicians friend.

i'm really enjoying mine!

here's some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ppkByze6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1DlShiD_3I

Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:06 pm

nice video Jay !! .....

Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:33 am

I have one in the red flame color. THe pickups sound quite good. Compared to a Seymour Duncan JB, they are not as hot and a bit brighter sounding. They will get in Les Paul territory, but just not there if you know what I mean. It is a tele body after all. It is very comfortable to sit and play this guitar. Neck is a little thicker than my other Tributes but I would not consider it thick. Mine needed a fret level and crown and a good setup. It is a 2011 model though and this is not your average ASAT. The videos above are quite representative of the guitar. Couple good videos below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxCI5GZtLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWIs15a8WQ

Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Great video Jay. Thanks. That tells me more than anything else...lovely guitar, great sound. Knowing someone who has one is the best recommendation I could ask for.

I talked to MF and they were not sure. They had some theories about the flamed maple being not quite up to par so they were repainted gloss black, and of course they could be a special run for MF/GC. I emailed G&L to ask as well but my main concern is what else might be inaccurate so that the specs on pickups etc are correct. Jay's video shows me the sound is spot on.

Those videos speak volumes. Thanks for the responses all.

Tomorrow is NGD on this one for me. :happy0007:

Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:43 pm

jayochs and SamIV check out this Tutorial, so you can post your youtube videos inline: Tutorial: Posting YouTube videos.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:04 pm

Nnanji wrote:Great video Jay. Thanks. That tells me more than anything else...lovely guitar, great sound. Knowing someone who has one is the best recommendation I could ask for.

I talked to MF and they were not sure. They had some theories about the flamed maple being not quite up to par so they were repainted gloss black, and of course they could be a special run for MF/GC. I emailed G&L to ask as well but my main concern is what else might be inaccurate so that the specs on pickups etc are correct. Jay's video shows me the sound is spot on.

Those videos speak volumes. Thanks for the responses all.

Tomorrow is NGD on this one for me. :happy0007:

MF people sometimes don't know the specifics about the products they carry. :o
See this post: Is the Tribute ASAT Special in Tobacco Sunburst discontinued.

It is likely that the Tribute Deluxe in Gloss Black is what Dave mentions in that post as a special run for MF, though I don't know this for a fact. But,
look at MF's website page for this guitar and you will see that they have included various photos of the Gloss Black guitar along with images of both of the standard Tribute ASAT Deluxe guitars
and exact same specs. I would guess that you are getting the same specs as the standard Tribute ASAT Deluxe, but with a Gloss Black finish.
That is such a great sale price and with their return policy, you can't really lose on this deal.

FYI, G&L does not list any special runs for specific dealers on their website. They only list standard production models and the USA Custom Creations builds.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Are the strings further from the body of the guitar on this model than they are on an ASAT Classic?

Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:40 pm

I don't own a classic but I think the Saddle Lock and Box type are different. How the effects string height.

I got the guitar and it's nice but the toggle switch isn't tight. It's all wiggly. It's not the nut or washers, they are tight but the post for the switch is very loose. I'm not liking that and I'm not comfortable cracking it open to try and fix it.

Other than that it's a very nice guitar. I need more time with it.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks for that Craig. As you said it may be a special run and at that price you can't lose.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:38 am

saxmanjack wrote:Are the strings further from the body of the guitar on this model than they are on an ASAT Classic?

The string tension on this guitar seems to me to be a bit tighter for some reason than all of my other G&L's. Does not mean it is hard to play, just different. My Tribute s-500's are the easiest to play when it comes to string bending, then the Invader and then the ASAT's. Don't know about the string height. Never noticed a difference, but never checked. It is a very comfortable guitar to sit and play due to it being a little thinner and the tummy tuck.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:48 pm

[youtube]jK0FeQCmqBk[/youtube]

nice, thats an easy way to post videos haha..here's a few new ones

[youtube]k0lIYWNGO5g[/youtube]

[youtube]mH-597aCRaE[/youtube]

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:39 pm

so, it seems the guitar is no longer on the MF website...none of the models. black, trans red, trans black, nothing. maybe they're just doing maintenance, hmm

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:33 pm

They should have the other models but they are out of the black ones. Mine was not good, the toggle switch was all wobbly and loose. I am returning it and getting my Brother a Tribute Legacy in Blueburst for his Bday. He's always wanted one but his wife won't let him spend the money so we are all chipping in to get it for him and I'll use the return credit plus get a deal.

He is the one who turned me on to G&L. MY G&L GAS IS ALL HIS FAULT! :x

Actually I have a wonderful collection. Mostly Fender but now more G&L's...

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Nice playing Jay. What are you playing through?

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:21 pm

bloodied_fingers wrote:Nice playing Jay. What are you playing through?

thank you!

i'm playing through a marshall jcm2000 dsl100 with a 1960a 4x12 cab.