Cantrell Superhawk Release

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:45 am

Anyone know when the new Superhawk will be shipping to distributors?

Re: Cantrell Superhawk Release

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:37 pm

8len8 wrote:Anyone know when the new Superhawk will be shipping to distributors?

Where are you located? Please see: Welcome! Read This First located in the Introductions sub-forum.

I'll see if I can find out.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:39 am

Chicago. Thanks.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:14 am

I've heard back from Dave:

Most of the initial orders are going out in April and May.

Hope this helps.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks!

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am

Man, it sounds like no one is going to stock this model, and there's a 2+ month turn around time after one is ordered. I've never heard of a guitar like this being so difficult to get.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:08 pm

I sent you a PM with some info on one.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:19 am

8len8 wrote:Man, it sounds like no one is going to stock this model, and there's a 2+ month turn around time after one is ordered. I've never heard of a guitar like this being so difficult to get.

Theguitarstore wrote:I sent you a PM with some info on one.

Lady Day comes to mind...
"The difficult I'll do right now / The impossible will take a little while"

BTW ...I still think Seattle should have been nicknamed "Lady Grey" ,
not "the emerald city" ?? :crazy:

elwood

Sat May 25, 2013 4:33 am

Man, after 2 months and there are only 2 guitars advertised. One is a prototype with a really flat neck and the other is a special order. I'd thought that someone would have production models in stock by now...

Sun May 26, 2013 6:16 pm

8len8 wrote:Man, after 2 months and there are only 2 guitars advertised. One is a prototype with a really flat neck and the other is a special order. I'd thought that someone would have production models in stock by now...

Man I feel for you, seems like you've been waiting for this for a while now... Are you going for the Tribute or the USA made, the deluxe or the regular? I currently see a tribute, a deluxe special order, and a special order regular without JC's signature on ebay. The deluxe blueburst looks gorgeous! I want to get one eventually too, but I'm in no rush as I got a JC Rampage a couple months back. I'm thinking The Superhawk would be a great complement to my Rampage. In any case, I hope they release it soon!

:angel:

Sun May 26, 2013 10:44 pm

8len8 wrote:Man, after 2 months and there are only 2 guitars advertised. One is a prototype with a really flat neck and the other is a special order. I'd thought that someone would have production models in stock by now...

The two models: Superhawk Jerry Cantrell comes in three body finishes: Ivory, Black or Whiskey and the Superhawk Deluxe Jerry Cantrell comes in two body finishes: Blueburst and Blackburst.
The factory has been builiding them for some time. You just need to place your order for one with the color finish you want with a G&L dealer.

Mon May 27, 2013 5:13 am

I'm looking for the regular, not the deluxe model. The only regular model out there in stock right now is a prototype (has a very large radius fretboard).

I don't want to special order one. I'm looking for one that's already in stock so I can easily return it if I don't like the feel or playability of the guitar.

Tue May 28, 2013 6:45 am

Wow, so I really had the wrong idea of this guitar's options from the G&L website.

The USA are all custom built to the buyer's specs?
The Tribute model (not on the website) are made overseas and the specs aren't published?

Tue May 28, 2013 2:37 pm

8len8 wrote:Wow, so I really had the wrong idea of this guitar's options from the G&L website.

The Tribute model (not on the website) are made overseas and the specs aren't published?

The only options available for the signature models are listed in their Specification page. For the US Jerry Cantrell
Superhawks and Rampage, the only options are the body finishes listed in the Spec page.

The Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk is not yet available but will be coming soon. Dave McLaren says:

The first production run was just completed. We should have some here by the end of June,
though I'm air shipping some in for the band to sign for promo giveaways.

Hope this helps.

Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 pm

Craig wrote:
8len8 wrote:Wow, so I really had the wrong idea of this guitar's options from the G&L website.

The only options available for the signature models are listed in their Specification page. For the US Jerry Cantrell
Superhawks and Rampage, the only options are the body finishes listed in the Spec page.

The Tribute Jerry Cantrell Superhawk is not yet available but will be coming soon. Dave McLaren says:

The first production run was just completed. We should have some here by the end of June,
though I'm air shipping some in for the band to sign for promo giveaways.

Hope this helps.

Hi Craig, just wanted to ask you something. Please take a look at this Superhawk... http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-USA-Custom-Made-Jerry-Cantrell-Superhawk-Signature-Guitar-in-Ivory-Brand-New-/271190221726?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f2432639e

How did the dealer manage to get the headstock without Jerry's signature? And also 14" radius neck as opposed to 12". I'd like to get a 14" radius neck as well if I do get this guitar.

Wed May 29, 2013 2:56 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:Hi Craig, just wanted to ask you something. Please take a look at this Superhawk... http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-USA-Custom-Made-Jerry-Cantrell-Superhawk-Signature-Guitar-in-Ivory-Brand-New-/271190221726?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f2432639e

How did the dealer manage to get the headstock without Jerry's signature? And also 14" radius neck as opposed to 12". I'd like to get a 14" radius neck as well if I do get this guitar.

Here's the details on this:

Hi Craig,

Mea culpa. There was some back and forth about the radius and it ended up 12" on the site. 14" is what is on the US versions so now the Superhawk/SuperhawkDeluxe/Rampage US all show 14" just like the certificates being issued.

That Superhawk that got shipped the dealer is one of the protos that actually went to NAMM. We were pushing hard to get it done and I hadn't made it clear about a few bits when Spence got them built. So, it wasn't an oversight on the part of the guys building that guitar, it was mine alone. We could take that guitar back and take care of that, but I suspect nobody would send it back once they know the story.

I hope this is clearer than mud. : )

Dave

Wed May 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Craig wrote:
HowlinWolf wrote:Hi Craig, just wanted to ask you something. Please take a look at this Superhawk... http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-USA-Custom-Made-Jerry-Cantrell-Superhawk-Signature-Guitar-in-Ivory-Brand-New-/271190221726?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f2432639e

Here's the details on this:

Hi Craig,

Mea culpa. There was some back and forth about the radius and it ended up 12" on the site. 14" is what is on the US versions so now the Superhawk/SuperhawkDeluxe/Rampage US all show 14" just like the certificates being issued.

That Superhawk that got shipped the dealer is one of the protos that actually went to NAMM. We were pushing hard to get it done and I hadn't made it clear about a few bits when Spence got them built. So, it wasn't an oversight on the part of the guys building that guitar, it was mine alone. We could take that guitar back and take care of that, but I suspect nobody would send it back once they know the story.

I hope this is clearer than mud. : )

Dave

So the new US Superhawks will all have a 14" radius? Do you know if that can be customized?

Wed May 29, 2013 4:45 pm

Never mind about the specs. I went ahead and bought the NAMM Superhawk :).

Wed May 29, 2013 7:59 pm

8len8 wrote:Never mind about the specs. I went ahead and bought the NAMM Superhawk :).

Nice score! :thumbup:
You got yourself a documented prototype NAMM guitar.
And if it does not work out for you, you might contact HowlinWolf.

Please do add it to our G&L Registry once you get it. Pictures and impression of this guitar will be great, too.

Congrats.

Thu May 30, 2013 12:18 pm

Craig wrote:
8len8 wrote:Never mind about the specs. I went ahead and bought the NAMM Superhawk :).

Please do add it to our G&L Registry once you get it. Pictures and impression of this guitar will be great, too.

Congrats.

First off, congratulations on the guitar 8len8! Probably gonna be the only Jerry Cantrell Superhawk without his signature nor color matching on the headstock. So in terms of that it's unique, and yes please give us your impression on the guitar when you get it. And yes if you do decide to sell it please consider me first! :)

But having said all that, regarding it being a NAMM guitar, I wonder if this particular guitar was at the G&L booth at NAMM 2013. I don't see it in these pictures http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7988. The two ivory Superhawks there both have the signature at the headstock. So I'm not sure, maybe this guitar was built as a prototype for NAMM but never actually used...

Thu May 30, 2013 12:44 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:
Craig wrote:

Congrats.

First off, congratulations on the guitar 8len8! Probably gonna be the only Jerry Cantrell Superhawk without his signature nor color matching on the headstock. So in terms of that it's unique, and yes please give us your impression on the guitar when you get it. And yes if you do decide to sell it please consider me first! :)

But having said all that, regarding it being a NAMM guitar, I wonder if this particular guitar was at the G&L booth at NAMM 2013. I don't see it in these pictures http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7988. The two ivory Superhawks there both have the signature at the headstock. So I'm not sure, maybe this guitar was built as a prototype for NAMM but never actually used...

Not all NAMM instruments get displayed in the booth. Some also do get loaned to other vendors at the show to be used in their booth. If Dave says it
was there, I believe him.

Thu May 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Craig wrote:
HowlinWolf wrote:
Craig wrote:

Congrats.

Not all NAMM instruments get displayed in the booth. Some also do get loaned to other vendors at the show to be used in their booth. If Dave says it
was there, I believe him.

I've never been to NAMM and have no idea how a NAMM guitar works so I'll believe him!

And I got this in trying to post this reply, 'Your message contains too many smilies. The maximum number of smilies allowed is 5'

That is so funny...

Thu May 30, 2013 7:30 pm

The customer service guy from Studio Gears, who sold the guitar to me, said he was at NAMM and saw the guitar there. He said it was on display and folks would take it down now and then to strum it.

Fri May 31, 2013 12:26 am

8len8 wrote:The customer service guy from Studio Gears, who sold the guitar to me, said he was at NAMM and saw the guitar there. He said it was on display and folks would take it down now and then to strum it.

Nice, you have yourself a unique Superhawk and please let us know how you like it!

8-)

Fri May 31, 2013 3:53 pm

^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^

and get some pictures up :) there's a saying around here if you don't have pict's you don't own it

what a nice ride !! enjoy

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:40 am

So I got the Superhawk. Some quick observations.

Good:
- Really small hardshell case compared to some of my others (Gibson, Carvin, PRS).
- Wonderful body shape and contour.
- I like the back hardware against the body color.
- The neck pickup sounds great - isn't muddy.

Bad?:
- The neck is very wide. On paper it's just a little wider than my Les Pauls', but it feels huge.
- The neck itself is really large. While not like some older Les Pauls, it's still pretty beefy.
- It needs a set-up bad. The high E is 0.08 at the 12th fret. I'd think that G&L would have made the action lower to show off the Plek'd neck.
- The overall tone is a little dark compared to my Les Pauls. While not a bad thing (just up the amp treble), it's surprising.

Overall I think I'm going to have the grow into liking this one. If I had tried it in a store (my original hope before discovering the no one in the mid-west had any in-stock) I might have had second thoughts about buying it due to the fact that it's pretty uncomfortable to play out-of-the-box.

When I heard the guitar was coming out I had worries that it would have the same neck contour as the 80's Superhawk (I owned a couple, and the necks were almost too narrow for me to play). But what I'm faced with now is a neck that it really wide. Jerry must have huge hands to have specified this kind of neck.

In the next few days I'll re-string it with 9's and lower he action. Then I'll play it for a few hours to hopefully grow into it.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Very interesting review, thank you for that. Please keep us updated with how you like your new Superhawk as you spend more time with it. Looks great by the way...

8-)

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:07 pm

8len8 wrote:- It needs a set-up bad. The high E is 0.08 at the 12th fret. I'd think that G&L would have made the action lower to show off the Plek'd neck.
- The overall tone is a little dark compared to my Les Pauls. While not a bad thing (just up the amp treble), it's surprising.

Firstly, thats a nice looking rock guitar.
The last two new G&Ls I've received have also had high action, probably higher than the majority of players would prefer. Lowering the action proved no problem - the Plek probably helped there - and they play very nicely now.
Strange about it being darker sounding than your Les Paul. How do the heights of the pickups on the two compare?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:24 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:
8len8 wrote:- It needs a set-up bad. The high E is 0.08 at the 12th fret. I'd think that G&L would have made the action lower to show off the Plek'd neck.

Firstly, thats a nice looking rock guitar.
The last two new G&Ls I've received have also had high action, probably higher than the majority of players would prefer. Lowering the action proved no problem - the Plek probably helped there - and they play very nicely now.
Strange about it being darker sounding than your Les Paul. How do the heights of the pickups on the two compare?

My LP's pickups are lower. On the Les Pauls I roll back the tone about 1/2 way to get a nice tone. On the Superhawk The tone has to be all the way up or the amp darkens (without changing the amp's tone controls from where I use them with the LPs). I might just have my LPs tunes up pretty bright...

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:34 pm

So after setting up the guitar it's still going to take a while to get used to. While it has a great sound (the most usable center position pickup soumd I've ever heard), the neck is just way too wide to be comfortable (and I don't have small hands).

I wonder if I could have G&L make me a narrower neck...

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:32 pm

8len8 wrote:So after setting up the guitar it's still going to take a while to get used to. While it has a great sound (the most usable center position pickup soumd I've ever heard), the neck is just way too wide to be comfortable (and I don't have small hands).

I wonder if I could have G&L make me a narrower neck...

I actually love the wider neck of my Tribute Rampage and I don't have large hands (medium). I like the feel and playability better than the slightly narrower S-500 and ASAT Deluxe necks. For me it's easier to play. Maybe there's a difference in the profiles? I noticed mine has a 13.75" radius vice your 14". But that is a very slight curve difference.

Superhawk™ Jerry Cantrell
NECK PROFILE: G&L custom profile with 14" radius and 1 3/4" nut-width

Rampage Jerry Cantrell
NECK PROFILE: G&L custom profile with 14" radius and 1 3/4" nut-width

Tribute Rampage Jerry Cantrell
NECK RADIUS 13.75"
NECK WIDTH AT NUT 1 3/4"

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:56 pm

That's interesting for me too because I have small girly hands and I don't find my Jerry Cantrell Rampage neck uncomfortable. I have a PRS guitar with a neck that they call 'Wide Thin' and thought my Rampage was along the lines of a Wide Thin neck. Well maybe 'Wide Normal', but never 'Wide Fat'. IDK, maybe your neck is beefier than my Rampage neck...

And I'd also like to know if you could get a narrower neck from G&L, that would be cool...

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:54 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:That's interesting for me too because I have small girly hands and I don't find my Jerry Cantrell Rampage neck uncomfortable. I have a PRS guitar with a neck that they call 'Wide Thin' and thought my Rampage was along the lines of a Wide Thin neck. Well maybe 'Wide Normal', but never 'Wide Fat'. IDK, maybe your neck is beefier than my Rampage neck...

And I'd also like to know if you could get a narrower neck from G&L, that would be cool...

I agree, my PRS SE Tremonti has a wide thin neck 1.68" at the nut, my Rampage is 1.75". Although they feel almost identical. I actually prefer the feel of the slightly wider Rampage neck over my PRS's neck.

But then this is all subjective. Everyone's hands, playing styles, and preferences differ. So, just my preferences.

I hope to add a Superhawk to my stable in the future.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:12 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:That's interesting for me too because I have small girly hands and I don't find my Jerry Cantrell Rampage neck uncomfortable. I have a PRS guitar with a neck that they call 'Wide Thin' and thought my Rampage was along the lines of a Wide Thin neck. Well maybe 'Wide Normal', but never 'Wide Fat'. IDK, maybe your neck is beefier than my Rampage neck...

As mentioned earlier in this thread, not on Signature models, see viewtopic.php?p=55502#p55502.
Also, see the G&L Guitar Options page.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Craig wrote:

As mentioned earlier in this thread, not on Signature models, see viewtopic.php?p=55502#p55502.

Thanks for the info. I understand this model isn't available with custom necks, but I wonder if G&L would be willing to sell me an "aftermarket" neck only. Man, this is the last time I buy a guitar without trying it first.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 pm

8len8 wrote:
Craig wrote:

Thanks for the info. I understand this model isn't available with custom necks, but I wonder if G&L would be willing to sell me an "aftermarket" neck only. Man, this is the last time I buy a guitar without trying it first.

You might contact (email or phone) Chris Robosan. His number and email address is on the G&L Support page.

Let us know what you find out.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:37 pm

After 2 emails to G&L in 2 weeks I still have no reply. I really wish they had a typical customer service department.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 pm

8len8 wrote:After 2 emails to G&L in 2 weeks I still have no reply. I really wish they had a typical customer service department.

You should be hearing from Chris soon.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:57 am

Craig wrote:
8len8 wrote:After 2 emails to G&L in 2 weeks I still have no reply. I really wish they had a typical customer service department.

You should be hearing from Chris soon.

Thanks for all the help, but another week has passed with no reply from G&L. That, and based on reading a lot of Neck posts in this forum make me want to give up since I assume G&L has no solution for me.