new member with a simple question

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:53 am

Hi,

I just joined and wish everyone hello. If I need to go to another board to ask this, please let me know.

The local G&L dealer has a 2009ish Legacy (per him) and he tells me it comes with a gig bag. This is a USA made Legacy, not a Tribute.

The price is good on it and I was thinking about ordering the G&L black tolex case to go with it .

On the G&L website it states that the Standard Legacy (USA) comes with a black Tolex case, BUT if you go to the Accessory page it states that the black Tolex case (made by G&G quality cases) comes standard with some ASAT and Invader models, but doesn't mention the Legacy.

Can someone give me the scoop on this? If I order a new Legacy in a different color will I automatically get the G&G Tolex case with it?

Thanks and best wishes to everyone,

R.

Re: new member with a simple question

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:25 am

Until recently, an American made G&L should at least come with a thermoplastic hard shell case. You could always order a G&G made tolex hard shell case as an upgrade. Since about a year and a half or so, all American made models come with a deluxe form fitted tolex hard shell case as stated on the website (see the bottom of the specs for a Legacy. Gig bags are used for Tribute series. Somebody is 'swiping' the nice case ;)

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:09 pm

rosemarygoes wrote:Hi,

I just joined and wish everyone hello. If I need to go to another board to ask this, please let me know.

The local G&L dealer has a 2009ish Legacy (per him) and he tells me it comes with a gig bag. This is a USA made Legacy, not a Tribute.

The price is good on it and I was thinking about ordering the G&L black tolex case to go with it .

On the G&L website it states that the Standard Legacy (USA) comes with a black Tolex case, BUT if you go to the Accessory page it states that the black Tolex case (made by G&G quality cases) comes standard with some ASAT and Invader models, but doesn't mention the Legacy.

Can someone give me the scoop on this? If I order a new Legacy in a different color will I automatically get the G&G Tolex case with it?

R.

It should come with a hard case.

Maybe ask your local dealer to contact G&L for clarification.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:17 pm

I can see why the question has been asked. I have Two vintage White identical American Legacys which appear to be 2007 models and they were sold new by AB&G here in the Twin Cities. They both came with gig bags, COA and hex wrenches and case candy as such. I believe that G&L was offering a special at the time. Is it possible that the dealer can order with Gig Bags or cases as desired? Craig can tell us.-- Darwin

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:23 pm

rosemarygoes wrote:Hi,

R.

Was this dealer selling this as a NEW instrument? If so, it should have come with a hardshell case. If it's NOS and is one of the Legacy Standard-Fullerton Standard Series (2006-2008), it would have come with a gig case. You indicate that the dealer was offering it for a good price, so perhaps the original case got lost (sold off, stolen, etc). If he is selling it as used, he might have bought it with the gigbag. If that price is within your budget and you like it, go for it. You might ask the dealer if he can order a G&L case for you at a reasonable price.

If you decide to order one, go to the G&L website for the Legacy specs and options.

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it is being sold as NEW and appears to be new with the hang tags, and he assured me it is new and nothing to indicate it's not.

He talked like it might have been a special deal/run also, so it could be one of the Legacy Std.-Fullerton guitars you mentioned Craig.

I live in a modest size town and the owner seems like a nice and honest guy (and he has a good reputation). It's a small music store and he is the only G&L dealer in this part of Texas. He has 1 Tribute in stock and this one std. Legacy USA......that's all, but that's understandable probably also. He is also a Fender and Gretsch dealer among other things. You have to figure a lot of people see "Fender" and tune out everthing else. I am just happy there is 1 G&L dealer in this part of the world. I like him, and would like to support him and he has given me a lot of good advice I believe.

A friend recommended him when I was seriously considering buying a Highway 1 Strat or another guitar at a different store (I didn't even know we had a G&L dealer here). I am glad I DID NOT and waited.

:)

It's candy apple red with a painted headstock, so it was one of my three top color choices. Thanks everyone.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 am

rosemarygoes wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Yes it is being sold as NEW and appears to be new with the hang tags, and he assured me it is new and nothing to indicate it's not.

He talked like it might have been a special deal/run also, so it could be one of the Legacy Std.-Fullerton guitars you mentioned Craig.

I live in a modest size town and the owner seems like a nice and honest guy (and he has a good reputation). It's a small music store and he is the only G&L dealer in this part of Texas. He has 1 Tribute in stock and this one std. Legacy USA......that's all, but that's understandable probably also. He is also a Fender and Gretsch dealer among other things. You have to figure a lot of people see "Fender" and tune out everthing else. I am just happy there is 1 G&L dealer in this part of the world. I like him, and would like to support him and he has given me a lot of good advice I believe.

A friend recommended him when I was seriously considering buying a Highway 1 Strat or another guitar at a different store (I didn't even know we had a G&L dealer here). I am glad I DID NOT and waited.

:)

It's candy apple red with a painted headstock, so it was one of my three top color choices. Thanks everyone.

Does sound like a one of the Legacy Fullerton Standard series guitars. Candy Apple Red was done in Spring of 2006 and
they came with either a gigbag or gigcase. Here is what Dave McLaren [aka Darth Invader] posted about the Legacy
Standard-Fullerton Standard Series after they came out:

"We are trying to make some runs of the same thing,
not like our "normal" production where everything coming
along is different. In short, we did a few things with this:
We made it a solid color so we could use wood that has
some sort of stain or grain such that we can't use it for
translucent colors (as almost all of our production is),
we substituted what I call a "gig case" for the plastic molded
one which saves a few bucks (but holds up better than the
molded - go figure), and we substituted zinc diecast saddles
for the brass ones. Most of them actually had the brass
saddles anyway, as yours probably does. It's basically a sweet
deal on a Legacy.
"

They also included a matching headstock, which is usually an
upcharge option. Also, all of the Fullerton Standard Series models
had their necks Pleked. The Plek machine was added to the production
process in 2006.

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Any idea what the neck profiles were like on those? I think that was before they became the A/B/C/D option, but I'm not sure.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Ray Barbee Music wrote:Any idea what the neck profiles were like on those? I think that was before they became the A/B/C/D option, but I'm not sure.

See: What are the USA neck size options, past and present?.

:ugeek: