Superhawk/Rampage - The Future?

Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:50 pm

Almost titled this 'Superhawk/Rampage - Discontinued?' But don't quite want to be so pessimistic: Does anyone know if they are planned to return? I expected the 'Cantrell' prefix to be dropped (after certain events) - but they seemed popular enough I figured even without the name, they'd *keep making* them. I think a lot of Cantrell fans would love a Rampage vs. a Les Paul, and not having a signature on the headstock doesn't change that.

Especially dismaying that the Rampage and in particular the Tribute was one of the only 'cheap' ways to get a Kahler. And while I never paid much attention tot he Superhawk originally - I am now fixated on 'bare-bones' humbucker guitars with fixed bridges; just in time to see retailers out of stock and the used supply alarmingly *dry.*

G&L might like to push a Skyhawk to me instead, but Skyhawks are not often available with a Saddle Lock. I'd love to try a new 'Invader' if it had a Saddle Lock, but unless I'm mistaken they are only a factory order/non-retail model (if they still make them at all) and my budget right now is Tribute-level. I at least have my ASAT HH Deluxe, but I'm not as much of a fan of the Telecaster body and would love the ergonomics of the Superhawk.

I'm not too upset since particular guitar models obviously come/go - And if the used market wasn't so barren (and if used prices weren't so high that buying new seems like a better deal) I would care a lot less. Anyway, I hope G&L is only retooling and not getting rid of these models entirely.

Re: Superhawk/Rampage - The Future?

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 pm

The Jerry Cantrell Signature models were discontinued in May of 2020.
Reference posts:
1/15/2020-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options
1/15/2020-present Tribute Series Production Models

Dave McLaren posted this on the G&L facebook page:
posted on G&L Facebook page: 9/17/2020

Top Fan
Alexander Calles
The Rampage model is discontinued?
· Reply · 17h

Author
G&L Musical Instruments
Alexander Calles yes, but not forever. Check out my 24-fret evolution on my CLF Research page. The Rampage and sister models will be back with classic ‘80s vibes but also alternative versions.

Dave McLaren posted on CLF Research facebook page: July 13,2020

Before I was rudely interrupted I was in the woodshop to see how my prototype Rampage 24 fret neck is doing. It’s fine. Whatever. I’m creeped out rn

Dave McLaren posted on the CLF Research facebook page on July 14,2020:

My prototype 24-fret 1985 G&L spandex evolution Floydian mode hot rod. I want to rock this thing so hard I can hardly wait

Dave McLaren posted on CLF Research facebook page: July 17,2020

The spandex evolution neck has mix-n-match decals using my remastered early G&L logo with subscript I geeked out on a couple of years ago.
If this single humbucker spandex evolution goes well it’ll have to be called Rampage and I’ll refine the artwork so it’s as close to 1985 period
correct unless I see I can make it look better. Doing logo art was hard back then and often there were small compromises made that you would fix
today in Photoshop or Illustrator. Leo would expect that I don’t just copy an old logo that’s a little jacked, he’d expect me to “fix the damn thing.”

Dave McLaren posted on CLF Research facebook page: July 21, 2020

Party Mode: engaged. So far so good. Basic engineering is solid, next phase will be improving fret access
without changing George’s perfect DC shape. You don’t hack the Mona Lisa because it’s in the way of the window.
I just made that up so...dunno if it makes sense. Anyway, check that chrome CLF knob that is just perfect on there.
Just one knob, but it’s like Tiffany’s made it.

Dave McLaren posted on CLF Research facebook page: August 11,2020

spandex evolution v1.0 gonna push some watts

Dave McLaren posted on CLF Research facebook page: August 18,2020

Spending time raging on spandex evolution v1.0. Let’s take a look at the back side. On this first prototype we have a conventional neck plate but the heel has been moved inboard to accommodate the 24-fret neck. That’s what I wanted for v1.0. Do the minimum messing around to a Rampage to make this work. Next I’m gonna combine the scalloped neck access like a ‘90s G&L Climax with the body edge radius following around the body heel. Four countersunk screw ferrules like we use on some basses. That’s my plan, anyway. The goal isn’t to have the best fret access, but make it a lot better without ruining George Fullerton’s awesome double-cutaway profile.

Dave McLaren posted on CLF Research facebook page: Dec 8,2020

party like it’s 1985

So at some point, I suspect we will see a CLF Rampage coming out of the CLF Research department and possibly some versions in the Fullerton Deluxe Series.
And of course, someone will want a Custom Shop CLF Rampage.... time will tell.

Keep watching here or CLF Research's facebook page.

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:47 pm

And regarding the latest Invader models:

They are listed in these G&L Dealer Price Lists:

Jan 25, 2018-Jan 22, 2019 G&L U.S. Specifications & Options
1/23/2019-1/14/2020 G&L U.S. Specifications & Options
1/15/2020-present G&L U.S. Specifications & Options

Here are factory photos of the Invader and Invader XL:
Photos of the new (2018-present) Invader
Some photos of the Invader XL (2018-present)

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:00 pm

And of course, someone will want a Custom Shop CLF Rampage.... time will tell.

That did not take long, see: G&L Custom Shop Rampage in Jet Black ....