Winter NAMM 2013 - G&L/ BBE

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi All,

We got back from our NAMM trip yesterday late afternoon.

After two years of not having a booth at NAMM, BBE/G&L returned to Anaheim and this time shared a booth with Rivera Amps.

Here's what the BBE/G&L booth looked like:

Here's the run down on the new G&L instruments:

Guitars:

ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90
Same as ASAT Classic Bluesboy, except features G&L P-90 pickup in neck position.

ASAT Classic 'S' Alnico
Same as ASAT Classic , except features a contured arm and rear body, reverse-wound
Legacy middle pickup and 5-way pickup selector with push/pull expansion switch enabling
additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all 3 pickups together. Same as ASAT Classic 'S',
except features G&L Alnico single coil pickups.

ASAT Classic Solamente (Not shown)
Same as ASAT Classic, except has no neck pickup and has a 3-way selector circuit by Paul Gagon.

ASAT Classic Solamente Alnico (Not shown)
Same as ASAT Classic Alnico, except has no neck pickups and has a 3-way selector circuit by Paul Gagon.

Fallout
SC-2 body with a custom pickguard and G&L P-90 in neck position, Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker in
bridge position, 3-way pickup selector, volume tone and G&L Saddle-Lock bridge (no Dual Fulcrum option).

Superhawk Jerry Cantrell Signature Model
Finish: Black, Ivory, Whiskey
Body: Soft Maple
Neck: #4 Custom Profile Hard Rock with ebony fingerboard, medium jumbo frets
Pickups: Seymour Duncan 59 Humbucker in neck position, JB Humbucker in bridge position
Controls: 3-way pickup selector, volume, tone
Bridge: G&L Saddle Lock
Tuners: Non-locking tuners
Other: Black hardware, paint-matched headstock, shielded control cavity

Superhawk Deluxe Jerry Cantrell Signature Model
Same as Superhawk Jerry Cantrell Signature Model but features:
Finish: Blueburst or Blackburst
Body: Premium flamed Maple top on Soft Maple

Basses:

ASAT Bass Tom Hamilton Signature Model
Finish: Choice of Blue, Turquoise, or Red Metal Flake finish with Silver faux double -binding
Body: Western Sugar Pine
Neck: #8 Quarterswan Maple with matching fingerboard, light tint satin finish
Pickups: 2 G&L Magnetic Field Design "Hamitone" humbuckers
Controls: G&L Tri-Tone active/passive electronics, 3-way mini-toggle pickup selector,
series/parallel mini-toggle, preamp control min-toggle (off/on/on with high end EQ boost),
volume, treble, bass
Tuners: G&L Utralite tuners with aluminum tapered string posts

LB-100 (G&L Split-Coil Alnico V pickup)
Body: Alder on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on all Premier finishes
Neck: #12 Hard Rock Maple neck with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard, medium jumbo frets
Pickups: G&L Split-Coil Alnico V pickup
Controls: volume, tone
Pickguard: 3-ply white

MJ-4
Finish: Standard finishes included
Body: Alder on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on all Premier finishes
Neck: #12 Hard Rock Maple neck with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard, medium jumbo frets
Pickups: 2 G&L Bi-Coil Alnico V jazz pickups
Controls: G&L M-Series 18V active preamp, pan, volue, and 3-band EQ featuring
center detents

This is the most instruments I have seen G&L announce and release at one time. :thumbup:

On the BBE side:

Stomp Boxes - Winter/Spring 2013 Line

427 FD-427P
Blacksmith BD-69
Boosta Grande BG-20
G Screamer OG-1
Mind Bender MB-2
OptiComp OC-5
Sonic Stomp SS-92
Soul Vibe SV-74
Tremor TR-63B
Two Timer TT-2
VariComp VC-3080
SupaCharger
Windowpane WP-69
Wah

See this link for specs and photos.

Later, I will be posting more photos in the Gallery.

:ugeek:

Re: Winter NAMM 2013 - G&L/ BBE

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:23 pm

I'm really liking this and I am afraid to ask. Does the Tom Hamilton Asat bass come in a 5 string?? I am afraid to get the answer. The addition of a p90 on some of these Asats is awesome, and the Alnico choices. I am impressed!!-- Thanks for posting Craig and looking forward to the rest!-- Darwin

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Thansk a lot Craig! :clap:

Craig wrote:Image

Fallout
SC-2 body with a custom pickguard and G&L P-90 in neck position, Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker in
bridge position, 3-way pickup selector, volume tone and G&L Saddle-Lock bridge (no Dual Fulcrum option).

I like very much this model, the sound should be great! :luv:

Is the "Fallout" a new model? Which is the price?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:07 pm

The ASAT Classic Solamente Alnico sounds interesting. Is it like a 59 Esquire?

Cheers,

Will

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Craig wrote:Here's the run down on the new G&L instruments:

Guitars:

ASAT Classic Solamente (Not shown)
Same as ASAT Classic, except has no neck pickup and has a 3-way selector circuit by Paul Gagon.

ASAT Classic Solamente Alnico (Not shown)
Same as ASAT Classic Alnico, except has no neck pickups and has a 3-way selector circuit by Paul Gagon.

Well how about that sport fans? Tim's ASAT '50 finally has finally led to an official release of a single pup ASAT! And make that two at that. Love to see some pics and learn some about the details of the tone circuit (and how it compares/differs versus the ASAT '50). Very excited about these models as well as the Alnico 'S' :D :happy0065: :banana:

- Jos

P.S. Great to see soft maple as the body wood for the Cantrell models!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:34 pm

The Fallout looks like a take off on the GBLE-II to me. -- Darwin

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:53 pm

That was my first thought Darwin. They must like the forum's ideas so far... I'm liking the creme pickguards on those; might look nice with a lemon top.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures and the update Craig! Very much appreciated!

I'm very impressed with the new designs and pickup options. The Fallout looks very interesting. I've been lurking on other manufacturers forums, and there are people very angry over the direction other companies are going in. Seems to me like G&L is very focused right now.

And the Superhawk! :luv: I will be the first in line for the Deluxe Blueburst model! I'm digging the Superhawk with the saddle lock bridge!

Dave

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks for posting!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:45 pm

darwinohm wrote:The Fallout looks like a take off on the GBLE-II to me. -- Darwin

LMAO! The LE-2 is a take off on the Fallout. We were able to modify a G&L to GbL specs before it was even released! How cool is that?!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:13 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:
darwinohm wrote:The Fallout looks like a take off on the GBLE-II to me. -- Darwin

LMAO! The LE-2 is a take off on the Fallout. We were able to modify a G&L to GbL specs before it was even released! How cool is that?!

I wonder if it will bring the price of the GbL LE2 down at all as the machining will be semi set up for it....? :D

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:21 pm

My take would be the request for GBLE-2 was an indication that there could be a demand for the SC-2 body in a different configuration. After looking into it, I would bet the idea was picked up because there is no design changes other than some routing. What a way to breath new life in the SC platform. Goat, I wouldn't bet on a big price break but it certainly makes sense for G&L to test this new configuration on an old platform. I think that is smart marketing for G&L and they just may be listening to what their guitar owners are saying. Just my opinion. As a final thought, I think a P90 in the neck position of the LE2 would be just sweet :mrgreen: -- Darwin
Last edited by darwinohm on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Goat wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:

I wonder if it will bring the price of the GbL LE2 down at all as the machining will be semi set up for it....? :D

The Fallout is not simply a code alteration of the SC-2. They had to start from scratch to make the fallout because of how the SC was originally programmed.

They actually threw in ADDITIONAL machining, fixturing, and CNC programming so we can make the LE-2.

The LE-2 has a dual fulcrum bridge (Fallout does not have it). I've also been told that the overall high of the DF is lower on this model and the neck pocket is deeper, giving the whole thing a better feel compared to a DF equipped SC-2- which has a "stuck-on" appearance.

The LE-2 has unique pickup routes for neck and bridge.

The LE-2 has a unique pick guard that is not swappable between the two models.

So, really they are subsidizing the development of the LE-2 with the development of the Fallout.

No to mention that the LE-2 will be the first limited edition G&L to feature a roasted maple neck. :banana:

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:33 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:
Goat wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:

The Fallout is not simply a code alteration of the SC-2. They had to start from scratch to make the fallout because of how the SC was originally programmed.

They actually threw in ADDITIONAL machining, fixturing, and CNC programming so we can make the LE-2.

The LE-2 has a dual fulcrum bridge (Fallout does not have it). I've also been told that the overall high of the DF is lower on this model and the neck pocket is deeper, giving the whole thing a better feel compared to a DF equipped SC-2- which has a "stuck-on" appearance.

The LE-2 has unique pickup routes for neck and bridge.

The LE-2 has a unique pick guard that is not swappable between the two models.

So, really they are subsidizing the development of the LE-2 with the development of the Fallout.

No to mention that the LE-2 will be the first limited edition G&L to feature a roasted maple neck. :banana:

Nice! I can't wait & will pick up a roasted maple ASAT Solamente too...

Cheers,

Will

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:59 pm

Jag, that is good information but I would question DF statement. How would they lower it without a DF redesign?

I think the DF on my SC-2 is no different in height than a Legacy or an ASAT with a DF. It looks very well appointed. -- Darwin

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:06 pm

darwinohm wrote:Jag, that is good information but I would question DF statement. How would they lower it without a DF redesign?

The SC NECK is higher, thusly the DF sits higher to accommodate. The neck pocket is deeper on the Fallout, so the DF is also lower- these words are from Darth, I am just the messenger.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks Jag. I was just curious.-- Darwin

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:16 pm

ChinoGee wrote:Thansk a lot Craig! :clap:

Fallout

SO much better looking than a Mustang or any variant

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:45 pm

ChinoGee wrote:Thansk a lot Craig! :clap:

Fallout

Yes, the Fallout is a new model, as are the others I listed here.
MAP for the Fallout is $1050.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 pm

willross wrote:Nice! I can't wait & will pick up a roasted maple ASAT Solamente too...

Cheers,

Will

The Roasted Maple neck is not a standard option on any model. You should
check with your dealer and see if they can special order it. The ones on the
prototypes were just trials and AFAIK G&L has not added them as an option.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Craig wrote:

Do we know what the standard features and colors that are available on it?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:35 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:
Craig wrote:

Do we know what the standard features and colors that are available on it?

From the January 1, 2013 US Price List:

Finish: Standard finishes included
Neck: #1 Hard Rock with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard, medium jumbo frets
Pickups: G&L P-90 in neck position, Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker in bridge position
Controls: 3-way pickup selector, volume, tone
Bridge: G&L Saddle Lock (no Dual Fulcrum option)
Tuners: Non-locking tuners

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:37 pm

darwinohm wrote:I'm really liking this and I am afraid to ask. Does the Tom Hamilton Asat bass come in a 5 string?? I am afraid to get the answer. The addition of a p90 on some of these Asats is awesome, and the Alnico choices. I am impressed!!-- Thanks for posting Craig and looking forward to the rest!-- Darwin

Sorry Darwin, no 5 string option is available on the ASAT Bass models.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks a lot Craig! The Fallout has a cool price for a USA made G&L, especially the pups. When will it be available for order?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:40 pm

ChinoGee wrote:Thanks a lot Craig! The Fallout has a cool price for a USA made G&L, especially the pups. When will it be available for order?

AFAIK, the new models can be ordered now or shortly after your dealer receives the U.S. Dealer Price List Effective January 1, 2013.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:43 pm

i don't think slapping some new pickups in current models is much of a progress. i can swap in an alnico pup into any g&l, and i already have the bluesboy with the p90. i am disappointed. i think some ergonomic changes like sculpted neck heel, maybe sculpted lower cutaway should have been included as options. also, making the nena finishes as options should be included.

finally they made a couple of smaller footprint pedals, although not small enough and not on enough of them.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:54 am

darwinohm wrote:....I think a P90 in the neck position of the LE2 would be just sweet :mrgreen: -- Darwin

So do I. But I'm late to the party and haven't had any input. :)

I agree with Louis on the sculpted neck heel; long overdue. But generally I like what G&L are doing with the new models.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:09 am

Woohoo!! Solamente! I remember a post (Jag, probably from you via Dave) that G&L only intend to have the JC sig Rampage as the only one pickup guitar. Pretty stoked that they've decided to make one of these.

I love the look of the new BBE pedals too. The graphics on the old ones were awful.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:23 am

The Asat Classic 90 is fantasy come true. GREAT idea.
When can we get one?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:05 am

Craig wrote:
willross wrote:Nice! I can't wait & will pick up a roasted maple ASAT Solamente too...

Cheers,

Will

The Roasted Maple neck is not a standard option on any model. You should
check with your dealer and see if they can special order it. The ones on the
prototypes were just trials and AFAIK G&L has not added them as an option.

That's ok. If we can get it for the LE-2 I'm grateful... I also have NO experience with that type of neck, so one at a time to "test the waters".

Cheers,

Will

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:34 am

RampageFan wrote:Thanks for posting the pictures and the update Craig! Very much appreciated!

I'm very impressed with the new designs and pickup options. The Fallout looks very interesting. I've been lurking on other manufacturers forums, and there are people very angry over the direction other companies are going in. Seems to me like G&L is very focused right now.

And the Superhawk! :luv: I will be the first in line for the Deluxe Blueburst model! I'm digging the Superhawk with the saddle lock bridge!

Dave

Dave, I am curious, do any of your Rampages have 1 3/4" neck profile? If so, how does it play?
Thanks

The Jerry models say

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:40 am

NickHorne wrote:The Asat Classic 90 is fantasy come true. GREAT idea.
When can we get one?

See this previous post.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 am

Great. And ThankYou! :oops:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:54 pm

meowmix wrote:
Dave, I am curious, do any of your Rampages have 1 3/4" neck profile? If so, how does it play?
Thanks

The Jerry models say

Yes, all of my Rampages have the 1 3/4" neck. I actually prefer them. They feel natural to me. I had a Jackson Soloist with the thin, compound radius neck, and after playing G&L again, it didn't feel right to me anymore so I sold it.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 pm

I've added photos to the 2013 Winter NAMM Show Album in the Gallery.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:34 am

Any idea if the Solamente is routed for a neck pickup? Not that I intend to install one, just curious as to whether it is just the pick guard and wiring making the difference between it and a normal Classic. Could be very cool and totally minimalist (is that an oxymoron?) without a pick guard.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 am

What do you all think of the headstock on the Fallout?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:31 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:Could be very cool and totally minimalist (is that an oxymoron?) without a pick guard.

That is a great idea! For the most part, the pickguard is an affectation...

Cheers,

Will

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:58 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:What do you all think of the headstock on the Fallout?

I'd have preferred the ASAT font as found on the ASAT Special and on the larger headstock too. To be totally honest that model is doing absolutely nothing for me. It looks cluttered. The pickups are far too big for it. I'm sure it would a great guitar to play, but visually its lacking. And I don't think they've chose the best colour schemes to show it off either. JMO, YMMV etc etc.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:16 pm

This solamente intrigues me....
And the Fallout looks very hip, lots of new models :D

Can't wait to see more pics to drool over :)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Dave is starting to get the new models added to the main G&L website.

Here's the two (make that three!):

MJ-4 bass
ASAT® Classic 'S' Alnico and ASAT® Classic 'S' Alnico Launch Edition

Check them out.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:53 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Any idea if the Solamente is routed for a neck pickup? Not that I intend to install one, just curious as to whether it is just the pick guard and wiring making the difference between it and a normal Classic. Could be very cool and totally minimalist (is that an oxymoron?) without a pick guard.

Hi Jamie,

I checked with Dave about this. Here's what he said:

We went back and forth about the route, and in the end we decided to leave it there. Some owners may want to end up
with a two pickup guitar so we've left them the option. It was a compromise, really. We'd prefer to have left the wood in
there to continue the mass from the heel to the boxed bridge and pickup, but thoughts of long term ownership swayed us.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:59 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:What do you all think of the headstock on the Fallout?

From Dave:
It is a slimmed down version of the large mid-'80s headstock as on SC-2/Rampage/Superhawk etc. It is not derived from the ASAT at all.

I think it matches better with the size of the body.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Craig wrote:
blargfromouterspace wrote:Any idea if the Solamente is routed for a neck pickup? Not that I intend to install one, just curious as to whether it is just the pick guard and wiring making the difference between it and a normal Classic. Could be very cool and totally minimalist (is that an oxymoron?) without a pick guard.

Hi Jamie,

I checked with Dave about this. Here's what he said:

We went back and forth about the route, and in the end we decided to leave it there. Some owners may want to end up
with a two pickup guitar so we've left them the option. It was a compromise, really. We'd prefer to have left the wood in
there to continue the mass from the heel to the boxed bridge and pickup, but thoughts of long term ownership swayed us.

Hope this helps.

Bugger. Thats a legitimate enough reason though, there are people who have 'stealth' neck pickups hidden under the pick guard in that type of guitar. Think I'll just make my own Solamente tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for checking it out Craig, much appreciated.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:14 am

All great stuff, + good to see so many.

I'm still hoping for the "Hellesquire" one day! A saddlelock Asat with just a back pickup, the Will Ray overwound Z-unit, mounted however it works best. Wouldn't that be fun :evilgrin: ?