Anyone else notice new sharp edges on Legacy saddles?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:59 pm

I LOVE the qualities of the Legacys from the last couple years, except for one point (no pun intended): the saddle edges are now clean, sharp lines, so that the front corner edge of each saddle is sharp. I tend to strum right there, and when digging in on the low e-string, my palm scrapes on that point. This is very irritating, and I wonder why G&L abandoned the old rounded-edged saddles which did not have this problem. I realize that for many people, this is a non-issue, but for my right hand, it is a problem...

Re: Anyone else notice new sharp edges on Legacy saddles?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

That was something I noticed before I placed my recent order. It caused me to opt for the DFS bridge upgrade, as I noticed the steel saddles are rounded. Cutting corners by not cutting corners... ironic.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:23 pm

johnnyqb wrote:I LOVE the qualities of the Legacys from the last couple years, except for one point (no pun intended): the saddle edges are now clean, sharp lines, so that the front corner edge of each saddle is sharp. I tend to strum right there, and when digging in on the low e-string, my palm scrapes on that point. This is very irritating, and I wonder why G&L abandoned the old rounded-edged saddles which did not have this problem. I realize that for many people, this is a non-issue, but for my right hand, it is a problem...

Dave recently posted this.

I am checking with him to find out if these updated saddles will be available for purchase on the G&L On-Line store
and from the G&L dealers.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Guys,

Last week we started shipping DF vibratos with uh, new old-school saddles. That means it has the radiused front like they used to and as the DFS saddle does now. These are basically a knock-off of the old Leo saddle, with the dimensions and chamfer from the old prints, but we did tweak the break angle a smidge. That and they're plated forged brass as they have been for several years on the US guitars. There's nothing to see here, folks, they look the same as old-school Leo DF saddles just made better.

These are what you will get if you order a set of DF replacement saddles in the store now. Price went up ten bucks, though. Booo! I know, but the cost of these has been going up, up, and up.

The Tribute Series guitars with DF vibrato will change over to this style saddle fairly soon though they'll be die-cast. We won't offer replacement die-cast DF saddle sets, though. Doesn't make much sense when for a few bucks more you could just upgrade "while you're in there."

Thanks, guys.

Dave

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:39 am

Thank you. Can those of us who bought 2011 or 2012 Legacys with the sharp edge saddles send in our saddles to you for a free swap/upgrade to the new/old saddles?