Tuners off American G&L's

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:24 am

Does anyone know if the tuners off American made G&L's fit on Tribute necks? Will everything line up properly?

Re: Tuners off American G&L's

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:56 am

They will not. Drilling will be required.-- Darwin

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:57 am

SamIV wrote:Does anyone know if the tuners off American made G&L's fit on Tribute necks? Will everything line up properly?

Nope, see: Locking tuners for G&L Tribute series?.

:ugeek:

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:19 am

I appreciate your help Craig, but that post is referring to replacing the Tribute tuners with Fender locking tuners. Looks like Schaller tuners off an American G&L have the locking pins, just like the Tributes. Just curious if they match up. I can ream the holes a little larger if required.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 am

SamIV. I am going to answer with my experience when I did this. The Fender pins did not line up with the G&L Tribute holes. The tuner hole itself is not an issue, most will fit. The pin holes are the problem and I checked both the Fender and G&L American. The bottom line is they do not drop in. I did put American G&L Tuners on my Tribute and carefully drilled new holes. The holes are not visable unless the tuners are removed from the neck. The installation I did was undetectable when looking at the back of the headstock. I am not aware of any recent pin location changes on the Tributes.-- Darwin

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:28 am

SamIV wrote:I appreciate your help Craig, but that post is referring to replacing the Tribute tuners with Fender locking tuners. Looks like Schaller tuners off an American G&L have the locking pins, just like the Tributes. Just curious if they match up. I can ream the holes a little larger if required.

I just added this addendum post in the G&L Knowledgebase.

Hopefully, it will help others searching for this, too.

:ugeek:

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks to Darwinohm, and Craig. Guess I am not buying those tuners then.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:54 pm

The slot head tuners on this '97 Legacy are so good I don't feel the need for locking tuners. Never have liked them, in fact.
Hi SamIV, I'm in South Louisiana too. :)