The neverending 1x15 cab project - almost done

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:40 pm

I started this project last November and between new baby and climate conditions in my workshop (the yard :D ) progress has been slow to say the least. I'm finally almost done, so I figured I'd post it all in one place.

Here's the very beginning, I don't have much in the way of tools, so the initial cuts were made with a circular saw, I then clamped top+Bottom together and sides together to level out my crappy cuts :lol:

by the way the furniture like structure I'm using as my work bench is was an organ I got for free and later was turned into a 2x10 cab

The dimensions I chose were based off of the 63-67 Fender Bandmaster 2x12 cab (21'' x 32'' x 11½''), since my amp is a 65' Bandmaster and I like the size of that cab. I used pine from Lowes, it was ok quality, took me a while to find a decent board. Went with finger joints, thinking it wouldn't be that bad.

I wish I had taken pictures of that process, I tried first with a cutout tool/zip saw, then a combo of that and a jig saw. Still no good so I consulted a friend who set me up with a chisel and hammer :shock: In then end I did almost all of the joints by hand with the chisel/hammer. Without a jig it is very difficult to get tight fitting joints. Only one corner was really a solid match, I ended up using nails to pin the joints and plenty of glue. A little wood filler later on and it looks like I almost knew what I was doing

The baffle board is made out of 1/2"(IIRC) birch ply, again from Lowes. I ended up using a dinner platter, that just happened to be pretty close in size to the speaker, to plot out my cut. Again tried the cutout/zip saw, without much success, disappointing because I thought it would be the perfect tool for this. The jig saw ended up being the best route out of what I had. The opening is not perfect but it works. Also tried out a floating baffle, meaning I only put in side cleats and attached the board with a screw in each corner. this allows the baffle to flex more letting the cab contribute more to the tone, no issues with the design as of yet.

I chose the Weber Alnico 15a150b 50watts - Description: replaces Chicago Jensen P15P.
15", 40oz AlNiCo magnet, 30 or 50 watts, 1-1/2" voice coil, ribbed cone.
This speaker is very similar to the original Chicago P15P. Players who want to get more power tube distortion at a lower volume prefer the P15P over the P15N due to its lower sensitivity. I have to agree on that. You can get a great crunch out of this speaker at lower volumes. Medium breakup, crunch and punch. Earlier breakup than a P15N, more focused in the mids and upper mids. Compressed and fattened at higher volumes.
Excellent speaker by the way, it was exactly what I was looking for. It starts to break up a little earlier but not much, I'd say less than one number on the volume dial, still plenty of clean headroom and just a sweet sounding speaker.

Covering! This is the most recent activity, just did it this past week. I used a spray adhesive and some upholstery fabric I found at a local bargain shop that looked close to tweed on the back. Cut the fabric on the floor in my hall (wife loved that one) It went on really a lot easier than I thought, and looked better than I had expected.

But then I had to go and screw it up :thumbdown:
I bought Zinser amber shellac to help protect it and give it that aged tweed look, as was suggested from other forums.

It turned out mud brown. The fabric just soaked it right up and I knew after the first brush stroke I had ruined it, wish I had thought to test it on the bottom first or something.

Oh well, my first impression when I finished was that it looked like I pulled it out of a swamp, I guess that's kind of cool in an ugly sort of way though 8-)

Here's the tower of power, Bandmaster, 1x15 "Swamp Fox" and 2x10 (formerly a Hammond organ) with my '90 ASAT

Now all that's left is a back panel (going for semi-closed), handle, and glides

-Dave

Re: The neverending 1x15 cab project - almost done

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Very Nice. Your ASAT looks a lot like mine! Good work!

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Nice project Dave :happy0065:
Dave_P wrote:It turned out mud brown. The fabric just soaked it right up and I knew after the first brush stroke I had ruined it, wish I had thought to test it on the bottom first or something.

Oh well, my first impression when I finished was that it looked like I pulled it out of a swamp, I guess that's kind of cool in an ugly sort of way though 8-)

Better to have muddy looks than muddy sound. And it doesn't make a lot of difference on a dark band stand anyway ;-) And yes, I love that ASAT too!

- Jos

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:58 pm

Told you covering it would be easy ;)

I used shellac on my first one (the Paisley Deluxe amp, which I just sold yesterday), and it does indeed have a brownish hue to it. It's also criminally expensive stuff, and the fabric absorbs a LOT of it! I've found that the cheapest polyurethane from a paint store is better - it's clearer, costs around 1/8th as much as shellac, doesn't react with the glue holding the fabric on and most probably longer lasting.

Nice to see it finished Dave - FWIW I like the hue that fabric has taken on - real classy :clap:

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks Brian!

Jos, you make very good points!

Thanks for the comments on the ASAT as well, I won't lie, she's a great guitar :mrgreen:

Jamie, sorry to hear the Paisley Deluxe has gone, that was a great sounding little amp. I think I'll go with the poly next time around and butt joints, the whole project would have gone a lot quicker. The color is growing on me, I've already banged it into a couple things which reveals some lighter hues, it's going to have a lot of character....well aside from the burlap grill cloth :lol:

-Dave

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:22 am

I didn't realize that was burlap, it looks fantastic!

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:40 am

Great project Dave. I like the Bandmaster and the ASAT.-- Darwin

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:34 pm

I didn't realize that was burlap, it looks fantastic!

Thanks Jamie! I was surprised it looks as good as it does, up close you can see the flaws/un-even gaps but overall very happy. Plus it only cost $4 and I have enough for a second of the same size

Thanks Darwin, the Bandmaster is a great bargain if you're looking for a blackface fender I see them fairly often in the $500 range. I have to admit I've been GAS'ing for a VOX lately (specifically the AC30HH(hand-wired and ef86 preamp)). I think I may try and find a used AC4, that may appease the GAS, I won't have to cash in my daughter's college fund, and I'll live to play it :shock:

-Dave