G&L On Line Guitar Builder

Mon May 21, 2012 1:35 pm

The G&L Guitar Builder developed by American Guitar And Band, a G&L dealer in Maple Grove (Minneapolis) Mn, is ready to use. The six string guitar builder is on line and the bass builder is still in development but will be available in the near future. Here is a link to American Guitar and Band home page.
http://www.americanguitarandband.com/

To use the builder , click on the ONLINE CUSTOMIZER link on the home page, located below the new arrivals link. You can then customize the guitar of your choice to the available options. At the end of the build you can send the build sheet to AG&B for final pricing or you can print it out for review. The price shown on the build sheet is the G&L MSRP that goes to all dealers. Many of you have expressed an interest for a tool like this and it is a good tool for looking at the options that are available on each model.

Craig has already reported that if you select a left hand model, the picture will show it as a right hand model as the image doesn't change orientation. I have been involved in the testing of this builder and if you discover problems, please send me a pm, detailing the issue, and I will report it to the appropriate person. Take a look and I hope you enjoy. I am not affiliated with American Guitar and Band but volunteered to help them test the application and I thought it was well designed by the developer . Thanks-- Darwin
Last edited by darwinohm on Mon May 28, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: G&L On Line Guitar Builder

Mon May 21, 2012 4:07 pm

That's an accomplishment. I had some fun and it is pretty intuitive and fast.
A couple of things that came to mind:
A button to bring you back to the models page, or even better would be a drop down menu of the models.
A larger rendering would be great... more eye candy.
and maybe a save image with the specs below option , I might have missed that if it exists.

Well done...I look forward to using it more.

Elwood

A part of me was hoping I could turn off the 'factory approved options' ,and continue with all options available on any model.

...just to create a crazy G&L of my dreams (and maybe nightmares)...maybe a button titled 'FANTASY
:)

Mon May 21, 2012 4:22 pm

Cool thing. I tried an F-100 and very soon was on $ 2730,- :oops:

Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 pm

Craig looked at this builder late last week and mentioned the lefty display issue and a return link to the first page. They have been reported and I would also like to see a blowup printable picture of the guitar after it has been built. I will bring that suggestion forward. Miles, the pricing is G&L US MSRP and the intent is to submit your build spec to the dealer for final pricing. Those prices cannot be posted here per GLDP guidelines. -- Darwin

Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 pm

OK, I already had 3 new to me guitars in the last 6 month, so my interest is of theoretical nature. ;)

For the Legacy there you have full choice for neck profiles, while if you customize SC-2 or F-100 there's no choice, necks #1 and #1b are fixed, is that really correct?

Mon May 21, 2012 10:56 pm

It shows the default neck profile for an ASAT Classic as a #1. I believe this should be corrected to #2.

Other than that, very cool tool.

Mon May 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:OK, I already had 3 new to me guitars in the last 6 month, so my interest is of theoretical nature. ;)

For the Legacy there you have full choice for neck profiles, while if you customize SC-2 or F-100 there's no choice, necks #1 and #1b are fixed, is that really correct?

suave eddie wrote:It shows the default neck profile for an ASAT Classic as a #1. I believe this should be corrected to #2.

Other than that, very cool tool.

Their info is based on the G&L January 1, 2012 Price List and all three models mentioned are listed as the builder tool has it.
We do know that the SC-2 is now available as a left-hand version. I've heard that a new Price List is in the works but do not
know when it is scheduled to be sent out.

AFAIK, the SC-2 and F-100 models do not have neck profile options.

:ugeek:

Mon May 21, 2012 11:35 pm

i can't get out for less than 3k on any guitar and i use no flame or quilt or binding or anything like that.

Mon May 21, 2012 11:39 pm

louis cyfer wrote:i can't get out for less than 3k on any guitar and i use no flame or quilt or binding or anything like that.

Remember that the pricing listed is MSRP not MAP pricing.

Tue May 22, 2012 6:47 am

For those who would like to print a picture of the build, the developer sent me a procedure that can be used to do so. I have a Mac so I have not tried this, but here it is as supplied by the developer. -- Darwin

Regarding "printing", the best thing to do is to do a screen capture, and then paste the image into a graphics application, or Word, or similar program and print from there.

Windows 7 has a neat "Snip" feature that lets you grab a portion of the screen image and puts it into the paste buffer. From there' you paste it into whatever app you want to print from.

On Vista or older versions of windows, you can do this:

Printing the Image
In order to print your creation, you will need to perform a screen capture of your computer's desktop, and then use a graphics application to print the image.
1. Perform a screen capture of your computers desktop. On a Windows PC, this is accomplished by pressing the PrntScrn button. Alternatively, if the
browser window is the active window, you can use Alt+ PrntScrn to capture only the browser content.
2. Open your favorite graphics editor. or, in Windows, you can use Microsoft Paint.
3. Create a new image file in your graphics editor, and paste the captured file into it. On a Windows PC, this is accomplished by pressing Ctrl+V, or by selecting Edit/Paste from the top menu.
4. Print the file.

Saving the Image
Similar to printing, in order to save your creation, you will need to perform a screen capture of your computer's desktop, and then use a graphics
application to save the image.
1. Perform a screen capture of your computers desktop. On a Windows PC, this is accomplished by pressing the PrntScrn button. Alternatively, if the
browser window is the active window, you can use Alt+ PrntScrn to capture only the browser content.
2. Open your favorite graphics editor. Or, in Windows, you can use Microsoft
Paint.
3. Create a new image file in your graphics editor, and paste the captured file into it. On a Windows PC, this is accomplished by pressing Ctrl+V, or by selecting Edit|Paste from the top menu.
4. Save the file.

You can pass this on to the forumites if you wish.

- Eric

Tue May 22, 2012 8:26 am

Cool application Darwin!! I built a very cool looking ASAT Special for $2550 MSRP. 8-)

G&L should have this app on their site!

Tue May 22, 2012 8:29 am

Their info is based on the G&L January 1, 2012 Price List and all three models mentioned are listed as the builder tool has it.

Does this mean that the G&L website is out of date? All of the ASAT classic models indicate necks with 7.5" radius.

The guitar builder tool also shows a 3 ply white pickguard as standard. I was under the impression that this was an upgrade.

Wed May 23, 2012 11:01 am

I have discovered that everything looks good with a creme pickguard and black pup covers. Its nice to see my S-500 in different colours. What a great tool, not to mention dangerous....

Wed May 23, 2012 5:27 pm

Excellent app Darwin. Works really nice. I wonder if it's constructive having those prices there? I get a bit put off when I see them.

Mon May 28, 2012 5:36 pm

There have been some changes to the builder as a result of the forum input. Here they are.

1) I have added a "Your AGB Price" to the main generator GUI and the order
form which should alleviate the sticker shock that some were experiencing.
This is the MAP price.

2) I have added a pop-up message when selecting left-handed orientation
stating that despite the image appearing right-handed, the order form will
state left handed.

3) I have added saving and printing instructions which can be accessed from
the top menu bar. Incidentally, Internet Explorer 8 prints the guitar images
just fine.

4) Added some navigation elements to the guitar index pages, and a snazzy
banner.

Hope you like the changes!

Regards,

- Eric

I checked the navigation links and like them. Thank you for the input that you provided us.-- Darwin

Tue May 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks for posting this, Darwin. Very nice, and dangerous tool.

Tue May 29, 2012 10:40 pm

darwinohm wrote:There have been some changes to the builder as a result of the forum input. Here they are.

This is the MAP price.

state left handed.

just fine.

banner.

Regards,

- Eric

I checked the navigation links and like them. Thank you for the input that you provided us.-- Darwin

it says in the save instructions that you can use the snip feature in windows 7, but i can't seem to be able to do that.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:05 pm

Louis, I just got time to check in. I am unable to help you with Windows 7. I am a MAC user so I don't have a clue. -- Sorry-- Darwin

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:41 pm

My buddy from CA works there! (American Guitar and Band) They also got mention in a recent issue of Guitar Player Magazine.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Sean, would that be Tim Obrien? He builds a fantastic amp.-- Darwin

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
darwinohm wrote:There have been some changes to the builder as a result of the forum input. Here they are.

This is the MAP price.

state left handed.

just fine.

banner.

Regards,

- Eric

it says in the save instructions that you can use the snip feature in windows 7, but i can't seem to be able to do that.

Click the Start button>All Programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool. Click the snipping tool - it will now allow you to select a portion of the screen. After you have done that, just save in the desired format.

Hope this helps!!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks Lefty! -- Darwin

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:17 am

thanks. here is one i would like.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:22 am

We've put this configurator to good use already in the GbL LE-2 forum for color selection. viewtopic.php?f=120&t=6344
:mrgreen:

Thank you very much for your contribution on this one Darwin! :thumbup:

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:38 am

Stainless Steel frets option, and the new Alnico V's as part of build?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:04 am

sacklg wrote:Stainless Steel frets option, and the new Alnico V's as part of build?

Which build?

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:54 pm

darwinohm wrote:Sean, would that be Tim Obrien? He builds a fantastic amp.-- Darwin

Yes, I've known Tim for years. I got to hear his first couple of builds (1989-ish?) with a friend, Marty. He let me play it and I was impressed, but at that time it needed a few tweeks and tone adjustments, etc. They were trying to find their voice.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 am

has the online builder been taken down? can't seem to find it!
john

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:28 am

oneeyedog wrote:has the online builder been taken down? can't seem to find it!
john

Looks like it is still up: http://americanguitarboutique.net/Guitar_index.html

They just took the link off the front page, probably while they change some configuration settings...Darwin, can you confirm?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:23 pm

The builder link on the home page of AB&G is down I just found out. They are loading the data for the bass builder as that has just been completed. I was told the link will be there after the downloading has been completed. You will then have both a guitar and bass builder. In the meantime the link that Jag has supplied will get you into the guitar builder. Stay Tuned.-- Darwin

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:39 pm

darwinohm wrote:The builder link on the home page of AB&G is down I just found out. They are loading the data for the bass builder as that has just been completed. I was told the link will be there after the downloading has been completed. You will then have both a guitar and bass builder. In the meantime the link that Jag has supplied will get you into the guitar builder. Stay Tuned.-- Darwin

Hopefully, they will also add the new ASAT Classic Alnico model, too.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:19 pm

Good point Craig, Eric has been notified.-- Darwin

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Fun! I built some ASAT Specials and I noticed it didn't upcharge me for an ebony fretboard -- I wish that was true, but I suspect a small bug.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:17 am

LS, this has been reported to Eric.-- Thanks -- Darwin.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:19 am

Just to see have far I could go, I started with a $1500 (MSRP) ASAT Special, and then maxed out the options: $5430. I had to have a quilted top under a metal flake finish to do this, but it was worth it! :banana:

And I'm not a Bigsby nor a metal flake guy, but they look awesome together!

Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:52 am

LS, the ebony neck bug has been fixed. Thanks for reporting!-- Darwin

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:44 am

Darwin,

I don't know if this is a bug or just the current options, but when I tried to build a copy of my fretless L2K I wasn't able to select BEM as a neck option (at least not with a fretless ebony fingerboard). I didn't take any notes, but I think I had a similar problem trying to build an ASAT Bass.

Thought you'd want to know...

Ken

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:30 am

Ken, thanks, I have reported this.-- Darwin

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 am

One more: on the page listing all the ASATS, the Special Deluxe is $2350 MSRP, but when you go to the builder, it's $1850 MSRP

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:38 am

LS, the pricing issue has been fixed.

Ken, here is the answer from Eric.

Darwin:

Birdseye Maple necks are listed in the 2012 price guide as "Guitars Only".

- Eric

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:40 am

LiquidSmoke wrote:One more: on the page listing all the ASATS, the Special Deluxe is $2350 MSRP, but when you go to the builder, it's $1850 MSRP

did the discount price change?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:12 am

LiquidSmoke wrote:One more: on the page listing all the ASATS, the Special Deluxe is $2350 MSRP, but when you go to the builder, it's $1850 MSRP

I think you are confusing the listing for the ASAT Deluxe ($2300 MSRP) with the ASAT Special Deluxe ($1850 MSRP). Recheck the builder's ASAT page as it looks
correct to me.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Craig wrote:

I think you are confusing the listing for the ASAT Deluxe ($2300 MSRP) with the ASAT Special Deluxe ($1850 MSRP). Recheck the builder's ASAT page as it looks
correct to me.

You're right! That makes the ASAT Speical Deluxe a pretty fair deal if you're going for a flame top. Hmmm... :think:

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:39 am

Hey folks. This is my first post here. I've used the builder twice now. I ordered both guitars I created through AG&B. I have had fantastic experiences both times. My first order was for a custom Legacy. Several options with lots of detail. The guitar arrived 4 weeks to the day from the order day. Everything was exactly as I wished. The second build was for an ASAT Classic. Pretty standard, with the exception of the forearm cut. This guitar arrived in 5 weeks. Tim and I opened the cases both times and were blown away. I like the creative tool that the software is. It really helps you choose your options. Bigger than that is my belief that after having owned some far more expensive boutique guitars (Grosh, Anderson, Suhr) I can honestly say that G&L guitars are approaching that level of quality. And at a fraction of the price. And not to bad mouth Fender, but their custom shop doesn't make guitars as nice as the 2 guitars I just had G&L make for me. My thanks to Corey and Tim at AG&B. the builder is a lot of fun, and my new G&Ls have made me a huge fan.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:19 am

My experience echos Lupi69s. I have read many posts on this forum about dealers that people are unhappy with. AGB is a stellar dealer, they know the product intimately, and their service has been second to none. We are fortunate to have them locally.-- Darwin

SB-1 Tangerine, GOT, Pearloid Guard

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:34 pm

App works great.

Undecided between Clear Orange and Tangerine finishes.

Pic is the SB-1 Tangerine, GOT, Pearloid Guard.

OSX = | Command | Shift | 4 | to outline & save image.

Same thang as using the Win 7 Snip app.

Blowed up pic 150% in PS. Sharpened too.

jamie

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Jamie,sometimes it is difficult to decide. One thing you can do is change the background color. That give you a different view. I was out to AGB today and they are looking at adding the new models to this application. -- Darwin

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:31 pm

Had fun with the RGB slide controls for the background.

The G&L Factory website has large examples of their finishes against a black background.

jamied

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Very cool.... :D

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:08 pm

I discovered that feature on the site a few weeks ago. It's great, but I think I may have spent a little too much time switching between the premier finish bursts. Every time I think I really like redburst, I check blueburst or honeyburst again and change my mind.