Vintage SC-2 resources?

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:31 am

I am trying to find out some information about vintage SC-2 guitars. Doesn't seem to be a lot out there! Does anyone know of some good pages/threads/etc. that talk about the history of the SC-2, changes that were made to it, when they stopped making them, stuff like that. Thanks!

Re: Vintage SC-2 resources?

Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Well, there's this for starters:

http://www.ggjaguar.com/gnl.htm

Click on the various SC-2 links and you'll get a pretty good picture of their brief history. Basically, there were two body shapes and the tuners were upgraded late in their production.

Great guitars. Mine will be with me till the bitter end.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:02 am

here is an old post from gabe 2005 with his take on the SC series

I'm intrigued by the SC-2. Broadly speaking, how would it differ in tone from my late-model Tribute ASAT Special? Are they widely available? What's the price range?

The SC-2 (like the SC-1, HG-2 and SC-3) were designed not so much as student models but as a cost effective line to give G&L something to compete against the offshore brands of that timeframe (think Japanese and Korean). It was designed to get their foot in the door...nothing less, nothing more.
It just so happens that their price point put them in the "student" or "budget" category from a dealers perspective but the truth was that the SC/HG line was really more of a professional level instrument.

Here are the spec's on the SC-2:

1. Body (slightly downsized 12" versus 13") either Mustang or double-cut style. Made from maple most of the time but sometimes poplar and sometimes ash.
2. Neck, bi-cut same as other G&L's of the period always a #2 and always a fretted maple affair. Headstock is unqiue to the model and probably the most "Fendersque" of the pre-BBE guitars. Tuners can either be non-sealed Schallers or sealed Schallers...good stuff.
3. Bridge. Either Dual Fulcrum or Saddle-Lock...identical to the pro models of that era.
4. Pickups. The original large MFD single coils. These were later used in the Broadcaster/ASAT model but when they were they received a couple hundred more turns. These are nowhere as hot as the very similar appearing large MFD's installed in BBE built G&L models. They also use plain enamel coil wire insulation instead of the poly insulation used today. The pickup positions are different compared to any ASAT.
5. Control Circuit. The SC-2 control circuit is quite a bit different from the Broadcaster/ASAT which contributes to their unique voice.
6. Neck Joint: George Fullerton's patented "Precision-Tilt" 3-bolt setup. This is a rock-solid joint...not to be confused with the Fender Micro-Tilt rig.

Overall, the SC-2 has more shimmer, sparkle and spank as compared to any Broadcaster, ASAT, ASAT Special or Tribute. This has to do with the reality that the pickups have less copper on them as well as the control circuit and the pickup locations.

Personally, I'd take a maple bodied SC-2 over any guitar I've mentioned above...except maybe the Broadcaster because I could buy between 2-4 SC-2's for the money generated from selling the Broadcaster!!!

Anyway, they are reasonably scarce and most have been beaten to death by 2005. Regardless, beaten to death or not...they still kill!!!

The only downside to the SC-2 is that if you are a large person they look semi-silly hanging in front of you due to their downsized appearance. Also, the stock frets were a low-wide jumbo wire...not everybody's favorite and not the hot ticket on a roundish 7.5" fingerboard. A quick re-fretting will solve this problem.

Good luck finding one though...they have become rather collectible as of late.

Best Regards,

Gabe

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Wow, that really helps. I have discovered that my SC-2 is a very early one! I know that pictures are necessary! HAHAHA I will get them up as soon as I can! Thanks for all the help!

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Yes, it used to be white! Nothing has been done to this guitar other than natural aging from being lovingly played. Everything is 100% original! :thumbup:

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:34 pm

What a drop-dead gorgeous instrument. Some things truly become better with age :happy0065:

- Jos

Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:05 am

What are these vintage SC-2's going for? That is when you can even find one! I literally searched for years for mine.