Who made these buckers?

Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:35 pm

I have this gorgeous, fantastic sounding, 2002 ASAT Deluxe with S/N CLF 25570. Here some pics to show its existence:
ImageImage

The body is dated April 11, 2002, and the #4 neck is from 2002 but seems to have undergone fretwork in 2005:
ImageImage

But I need some help identifying the buckers in this thing. Her some shots for both of them:

ImageImage
ImageImage

As you notice, there is no 'Seymour Duncan' markings on these pups. Measuring the DC resistance, the neck measures 7.52kΩ (compared to 7.4kΩ for a 'stock' SD SH-1) and the bridge 14.11kΩ (compraed to 16.3kΩ for a SD TB-4). As you can see, there is no sticker at the bottom with the SD code as seems to be common according to the SD website. Instead, the stamp looks like a October, 2005 date without an explicit day. If this is true, than there is the possibility that they were swapped in at same time of the neck work. I think I can exclude DiMarzio as the brand due to the appearance of the pole piece slugs. There is a good chance they are actually G&L pups. The G&L AW4370B bridge pickup in my ASAT HB looks the same and has a 13.83kΩ DC resistance but not the same kind of 'date' stamp on the back. Nor can I find a perfect 'match' for a G&L neck pickup in the List of pickups used in G&L guitars (the AS4250B is listed as 8.3kΩ).

So can anybody identify these pups? And does anybody recognize any of the 'signatures' on the neck as either belonging to G&L personnel, so at least I would know the work was done by the factory, or a luthier?

Thanks,

- Jos

Edit: fix image link after album was lost.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Who made these buckers?

Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Jos, I can't help you with the pickups but can you post some pictures as the neck looks awesome along with the cap body. My guess is that it is a factory repair.-- Darwin

Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:50 pm

darwinohm wrote:... but can you post some pictures as the neck looks awesome along with the cap body

For you my friend, any time:
ImageImage

Sorry for the 'flash' star ...

- Jos

Edit: fix image link after album was lost.
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:02 pm

WOW!!!!!!! -- Darwin

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:05 pm

darwinohm wrote:WOW!!!!!!! -- Darwin

That's what I said too when I first saw it :happy0065: