New neck (Job done)...

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:54 am

I have just bought a Tribute ASAT Special. It's definitely been a 'caveat emptor' as when it arrived the frets were really worn; At least the body is beautiful.
I have found a new Tribute S500 neck - will it fit?

It's that simple. I have a chance to buy the neck this morning and I don't want to lose it if it will fit.

Apart from that, it's a nice guitar. I look forward to your learned replies,

Best, Paul.
Last edited by Wilfy on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: New neck (would appreciate a swift reply please)...

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:32 am

I bet it will fit just fine...but I can't say for sure as I have only had one Tribby S-500

I wish I could give you an emphatic 'yes'...maybe someone will chime in who has swapped tribute necks.
I'd say go for it if it's a fair price. There is a seller on ebay who regularly parts out Tributes so you have an option if you don't get the one you mentioned...but I understand wanting to get your ax singing ASAP...she looks enticing !

best regards

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:19 am

Thanks for the reply, I don't think the guy intended to stiff me, he really couldn't tell.

Yes, I'll go for it. Can't really go wrong for £45 for a new neck ;-)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Best, Paul.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:22 am

If it doesn't fit just give the current neck a re-fret.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:01 am

Can't really tell from the photo, but is it possible there's enough life in those frets that a thorough dressing would fix 'em up? Or is some of that wear too deep for that to work?

Can't speak for the Tributes, because I've never owned one, but older US G&L necks are generally pretty "swapable" (is that a word?). I'd guess with the CNC stuff being made today that they're all pretty close.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:26 am

I concur with what the others have posted. Ideally, if the Tribute S-500 neck was from a Made In Korea Tribute,
you should have no problem, as your Tribute ASAT Special is also Made in Korea. If the new neck is a Made in Indonesia
you should also be okay as I am not aware of any neck pocket spec changes.

If you do the neck swap, please do post your results. I would be interested in knowing original of manufacture of the new
neck. This will help others considering doing a similar swap.

Thanks.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:11 am

Will do. I have paid for and ordered the new neck, should be here tomorrow :-) Another UK G&L supplier came back to me with a price for a new neck of £95 + VAT + p&p. I thought that was a fair price, I was quoted a lot more for re-fretting. I would have liked a rosewood fingerboard and could have specified what I wanted with this guy. Hey Ho. Jumping the gun again.

It shouldn't take long to fit although my experience with setting a truss rod, nut etc., is zero. I do have the Guitar Player repair Guide, I might just need that other neck if I make a mistake. Or I could wait until Friday and get a luthier to do it for £40.

Best, Paul.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:12 am

New neck has arrived:-
Complete with tuners which was an unexpected bonus at £45!
Rear of neck says it's Indonesian
Now down to fitting it...

Any useful hints (like don't!)

Best, Paul.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:55 am

Job done.

It was harder than I thought, I have put the pictures on photobucket as there are quite a few.

I thought with modern CNC it would fit like a glove - the old one was a 'snug' fit and the new neck slid in a little too easily. However getting it to butt up to the body was not so easy. I ended up clamping the body/neck together using blocks (thanks guitar player's repair guide) as gently as possible whilst exercising enough pressure to enable me to screw the neck to the body 'true'. That worked, as you can see.

It's now strung and singin' - well, as singin' as I can make it with my paltry skill set.

So thank you for your advice, I now have a working Tribute ASAT Special - with an S500 transfer on it's neck. AFAICT the necks are the same given manufacturing (in)tolerances. I must admit, I wouldn't mind whipping that transfer off - has anyone done it?

Best, Paul.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:19 am

Wilfy wrote:Job done.

I thought with modern CNC it would fit like a glove
with an S500 transfer on it's neck. AFAICT the necks are the same given manufacturing (in)tolerances. I must admit, I wouldn't mind whipping that transfer off - has anyone done it?

Best, Paul.

You are dealing with imports so this is not exactly surprising.

Good job either way.