2014 ASAT Classic - input jack - guitar cable recommendation

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:38 am

Hello everyone. Yesterday I received my brand new ASAT Classic Alnico with #3 neck, rosewood fingerboard and vintage tint neck.
Out of all my guitar cables that all work with all my other guitars and are of various brands, quality etc. exactly one works with my new ASAT Classic.
All other ones cut in and out at the input/output jack. I have read several posts here and this seems to be a common and well known issue. In one thread it was recommended to maybe have a list of guitar cables that work. I could not find such list.
Please recommend me a cable (not something self made) that works and please be specific.

E.g.
my "Planet Waves American Stage Guitar and Instrument Cable" does NOT work - otherwise really great cables that last, are sturdy and well made (I have used these for years)
my cheap "Planet Waves Classic Series Instrument Cable" WORKS just fine, but they don't last long.

Thank you in advance!!!

Re: 2014 ASAT Classic - input jack - guitar cable recommenda

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:54 am

I think you should aim at having the jack corrected rather than finding a cable that fits it properly so it works.

The problem suggests round but to make it clear is this a round shaped jack plate or a football shape?

The rounds were supposed to have been phased out: (2012)

The football jack is being used on the M Series Bass, Korina ASAT Deluxe II and Korina ASAT Junior II. We are still working on converting other models.
It's turned out to be a bit more time consuming and difficult to setup all the various drilling fixtures than we anticipated.

Thanks

Steve Grom

EDIT: to change "square" to "round" and insert complete quote.
Last edited by Salmon on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Salmon wrote:I think you should aim at having the jack corrected rather than finding a cable that fits it properly so it works.

The problem suggests square but to make it clear is this a square shaped jack plate or a football shape?

The squares were supposed to have been phased out by now.

It is round.
Like on this one: http://www.imagineguitars.com/guitars/g ... le_clo.jpg
Seems to be standard.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:09 pm

68wbm wrote:
Salmon wrote:I think you should aim at having the jack corrected rather than finding a cable that fits it properly so it works.

The problem suggests square but to make it clear is this a square shaped jack plate or a football shape?

The squares were supposed to have been phased out by now.

It is round.
Like on this one: http://www.imagineguitars.com/guitars/g ... le_clo.jpg
Seems to be standard.

That's right, I'll edit my post to "round" where I wrote "square" I have been staring at Les Pauls in detail all week

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Other threads here went more along the lines of use G&H plugs etc. but never complete cable recommendations.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:47 am

I have a new (2014) ASAT Classic Alnico that cuts out once and awhile. It has a round input jack. I looked at it under the hood. The soldering looks fine. I've tried different cables and even a different amp, but once and awhile it acts up and cuts in an out.

Should I replace the input jack? Is there a cable recommondation for my laziness if I don't replace it soon?

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:38 am

lefty_major wrote:I have a new (2014) ASAT Classic Alnico that cuts out once and awhile. It has a round input jack. I looked at it under the hood. The soldering looks fine. I've tried different cables and even a different amp, but once and awhile it acts up and cuts in an out.

Should I replace the input jack? Is there a cable recommondation for my laziness if I don't replace it soon?

The place I bought it from new, replaced my input jack. They also replaced my three way switch because it got damaged during the 35 mile transport from the factory.
I tried all kinds of cables and plugs, and settled on Lava cables with the G&H Show Saver plugs and right angle where I plug it in the guitar. They have a consistent plug size. All my other plugs have all slightly different sizes.
http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=24
You can try that cable first and see if it makes a difference. Otherwise replace the plug with a standard Tele jack.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:08 pm

The problem is not with the soldering of the jack, unfortunately. The barrel jack's innards get too easily bent out of shape ("You're too sensitive, Jack!"), due to the type of metal used. And of course, not all 1/4" plugs are created equal.

(There's a dirty joke in there somewhere, but I digress....)

I've had some problems with plugs and basically stick with two kinds on my ASAT Deluxe with the barrel jack. They're either USA-made Switchcraft (who makes the jack), or the Planet Waves cables that you cut to length. The plugs on these have a compressible "collar" around the top of the barrel. But is a crapshoot, even with these.

And I will add--I don't really have a problem with the Switchcraft barrel jack, per se. All jacks will fail; it is inevitable. But when a jack starts going bad on one of my Legacys, or a Les Paul, give me seven minutes and a hot soldering iron and I can fix the problem easily with a spare. (I always have spare Switchcraft jacks and plugs in my gig toolbox. And yes, I know I'm weird that way.) I can fix a standard jack.

But, I can't do that with the ASAT's barrel jack. I don't have the wood-working skills, and I would not even attempt this while at a gig. I'd probably only make it worse and wind up marring the guitar in the process. So instead of a $5 repair for a replacement jack, I have to spend $30-50 having a luthier do it--and the jack alone is another $12-15 on top of that, last time I checked. On top of being an Artiste, hey--I'm a businessman--and I don't need these needless costs nickel-and-diming me to death.

The barrel jacks do get loose and they cause cut-outs and static. When that happens on stage, my audience glares at me like I am some kind of idiot--which is not what I want my audience to be thinking about me!!! I want to be PROFESSIONAL!!! And I need PROFESSIONAL gear.

And this guitar doesn't do that. It has let me down, and embarrassed me. On stage, in front of 200+ people. So I don't take out my ASAT Deluxe any more. I take out my Les Pauls and my ES-335s for my 2HB tones. I simply can't trust it.

So my issues are with the costs and repairability of the barrel jack. The aesthetic is great--no complaints there. But the PRACTICALLITY of this jack--it just ain't cuttin' it.

And I won't buy another ASAT with the barrel jack.

Bill

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:25 pm

I had my ASAT cut in and out in practice and the guys looking at me. I certainly would not want that at a show! Wow.

Isn't G&L doing something about this? I ordered an ASAT Classic "S" and now I wonder if I'll have the same trouble when I get it.

I guess it's off to my Luthier for my current issue. I'm not going live with that guitar until I'm confident it's working correctly.

68wbm - I went to the link you provided regarding right angle cables but I don't see any. I see the plug but not an actual right angle cable.

EDIT: I just found Lava Magma cables on some online stores that have the right angle plugs..... I need a new cable anyway.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:32 pm

See these posts: Hey G&L: it's time to update the ASAT input jack and Question On G&L Output Jack.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 am

"Output" Jack :)

Well, thanks for the links to these posts but it leaves me wondering:

1) Why would I have this issue on a 2014 ASAT?
2) Will my current G&L order have the same issue?

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:51 am

I am not a fan of the barrel jacks either and have found them problematic, even on new G&L's. I disassembled a Switchcraft to see how it was built and they are very light with small contacts. I have replaced the last two with Neutrik brand barrel jacks and they still work. The football jacks are pretty bullet proof and are a much better option in my opinion. If you are gigging the jacks get strained over time. That is one of the reasons I use a wireless transmitter on my bass. Also note that most cord plugs are no longer 1/4 inch but are metric, just a tad smaller which also contributes to issues. I suspect that none of the major brand jacks are manufactured in the US anymore. -- Darwin

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:53 am

I just went back and looked the recent factory pictures and there are definitely some barrel sockets still being used.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:59 am

My LE-2 has a football plate socket as well as my Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe. The Tribute JB-2 I just picked up has a barrel socket. I believe the ASAT is a 2011 model, I don't recall what year the JB is.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:33 am

My ASAT Classic S Alnico is a 2014 model and it has the barrel jack. Fortunately I haven't any problems.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Just a friendly note for those who are not aware:

The "barrel jack" can be replaced. Instructions are here over at BassesByLeo. The ASAT guitar is included here.

For the more adventurous, BbL member BluesBassPlayer posted his retrofit of a football plate jack to his ASAT bass. That post can be found here. Please note that this is a non-reversible modification, so think two or three times before doing it to a prized collectible.

Obviously, these posts are centered on active G&L basses. The principles of the physical replacement are the same for guitars. Most of your guitars are passive, so you'll use mono jacks rather than the stereo jacks that we use (which provide switching for the preamp).

Ken...

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:32 pm

I picked up a Lava Magma cable with a right angle for my temperamental input jack and it solved the problem. I like the cable. A bit thin but I'll will probably get another.

(68wbm - Thanks for that link.)

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:54 pm

For future reference we now specify football jacks on all of our ASAT builds. Getting rid of a barrel jack is that easy....

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:51 pm

Theguitarstore wrote:For future reference we now specify football jacks on all of our ASAT builds. Getting rid of a barrel jack is that easy....

This is good to know and I just added this to our Are there any "off menu" G&L options? post.

:ugeek:

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:15 pm

i remembered this post when i recently had problems with the barrel jack on my '89 ASAT. it was cutting in and out alot, had me questioning the whole signal chain (hadn't occured at home, only at a blues jam and a gig). so i went through the drill of replacing the barrel jack, made easier by the post referenced below from Basses by Leo. the new jack is working fine, ASAT back in action. i also wanted to give a shout out to lefty_major for mentioning Lava Magma cables. I tried out one of those recently, with a right angle plug at one end, 15 foot, and thought it was nicely made/performs well, Thx!

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:30 am

Good to know drjho7. I always like right angle cables... Except when I'm playing my S-500 or Legacy of course.