What's the deal with replacement necks ?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:54 am

Hi everybody, I'm new here and have a question that needs an answer (like most).

I've had my L-2000 for many years now and at first it was the best sounding/playing bass that I had. I used it regularly, and chose it over my vintage Fenders, SB-2s, and even my Alembic, but those days are gone. The truss rod is bottomed out and there's now a significant bow in the neck. I've held on to it in this condition for over 3 years now hoping to find a replacement neck, but every time I've tried I come up with nothing. I even took the strings off and let it sit for a few months, then put a washer on the thing and retightened, It worked for a very short while then went right back to where it was. I use .105s so it's not like I'm putting any undue stress on it.

So what's the deal, doesn't anybody make an aftermarket neck ? Can G&L make me one for a reasonable price ? What am I supposed to do, throw it out cause it's unplayable now ?

Please advise, and thanks in advance.

Re: What's the deal with replacement necks ?

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:12 pm

I Have A 1981 L2000 Series E That Has The Same Thing Going On. A Local Repair Shop Is Going To Take Out The Truss Rod, Refret The Neck And Straighten It. Talk To A Reputable Repair Shop. Good Luck.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:53 pm

jackassrock wrote:Hi everybody, I'm new here and have a question that needs an answer (like most).

I've had my L-2000 for many years now and at first it was the best sounding/playing bass that I had. I used it regularly, and chose it over my vintage Fenders, SB-2s, and even my Alembic, but those days are gone. The truss rod is bottomed out and there's now a significant bow in the neck. I've held on to it in this condition for over 3 years now hoping to find a replacement neck, but every time I've tried I come up with nothing. I even took the strings off and let it sit for a few months, then put a washer on the thing and retightened, It worked for a very short while then went right back to where it was. I use .105s so it's not like I'm putting any undue stress on it.

So what's the deal, doesn't anybody make an aftermarket neck ? Can G&L make me one for a reasonable price ? What am I supposed to do, throw it out cause it's unplayable now ?

Please advise, and thanks in advance.

Here are some possible solutions:

1. If you bought it new from a G&L dealer and it is less than 10 years old, it will still be under the 10 year warranty. Take it to your G&L dealer (along with the original receipt) and have them get it taken
care of under the warranty service by G&L.

2. If it is out of warranty, you can contact G&L to have it repaired for a fee. See the contact information on the Support page on the main G&L website
for details.

3. As far as I know, there are no aftermarket sources for G&L bass necks. You could search eBay or craigslist for an L-2000 neck. Be aware that there are a number of sellers who regularly part out G&L
Tribute instruments. So be sure you know whether or not the neck for sale is from a USA L-2000.

4. Find a qualified Luthier who can repair or build a new neck.

5. You could place a Want Ad in our Marketplace.

Hope this helps.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Is it possible to drop a tribute neck in an American made 3 bolt style body ??? Or are the pockets different?

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:49 pm

jackassrock wrote:Is it possible to drop a tribute neck in an American made 3 bolt style body ??? Or are the pockets different?

3 bolt? No. Will not work.

Craig's post above is 100% on the money. Being 3 bolt, it will be out of warranty - even if you're the original purchaser. Just bear in mind that repair will almost certainly involve replacement. If you don't have warranty coverage it'll be kind of spendy, but it will be G&L and it'll be good.

Is it skijumped?

Ken...

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:39 am

Ken Baker wrote:Is it skijumped?

Ken...

Nope, it's majorly bowed over the entire length.

Anybody have an idea what it may cost to get a new neck from G&L ?

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:18 am

jackassrock wrote:Anybody have an idea what it may cost to get a new neck from G&L ?

You'll need to make that call:

Phone: Call John Toner at (714)897-6766 extension 156 and leave a voice mail including contact information so John can call you back. Please allow two to three business days for him to call as most of the time he's building guitars.

Email: You may also contact John Toner at repairs@glguitars.com to make arrangements to return your instrument to G&L for repair. Please allow two to three business days for John to reply.

Ken...

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I've emailed this guy (John Toner) twice, and called him, and got no reply to any of my attempts.

I've found that the problem is that the truss rod nut (bullet style) is stripped out, and I can't turn it with any allen wrench. I can probably get it off there, but will need a new one when that's all said and done.

I've called my local dealer, and they say they can't just order a truss rod nut for me.

So, is there anybody that will actually get back to me that I can contact at G&L?

Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Message sent with a link to your post.

Ken...

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:03 pm

Ken Baker wrote:Message sent with a link to your post.

Ken...

With both of us (thanks Ken - my email to them was sent 30 minutes before your post) contacting G&L, you
should be hearing from someone in Customer Support soon.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:06 am

Thank you both so much. I have recently switched the neck out with the neck from one of my SB2s just because I love the sound of the L2000s active pups for heavy rock. The neck just doesn't fit in the pocket as well as the original one, plus I now have an unused SB2 body collecting dust. I'm looking forward to fixing the problem and having both my beloved G&Ls back.

Thanks again, and if somebody from G&L is trying to reach me, my email is scottyrocker21@yahoo.com

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:33 am

Well I finally got a reply on June 28th (thanks completely to you guys here on the forum). After several attempts to contact him over the span of months, John told me that he never received my emails, or the voice mail I left for him, and asked for my phone number so that he could call me. I sent him the number that same day and I still (8days later) have not heard from him.

This sucks, I really like this bass, and seemingly, the only guy alive that can help me is ignoring my attempts to get it fixed. Nice customer service !

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:38 pm

jackassrock wrote:Well I finally got a reply on June 28th (thanks completely to you guys here on the forum). After several attempts to contact him over the span of months, John told me that he never received my emails, or the voice mail I left for him, and asked for my phone number so that he could call me. I sent him the number that same day and I still (8days later) have not heard from him.

This sucks, I really like this bass, and seemingly, the only guy alive that can help me is ignoring my attempts to get it fixed. Nice customer service !

I know this can be quite frustrating. Their email and vmail systems have been having some issues.
I have finally been able to get a hold of John via email and he should be contacting you soon.

Thanks for your patience.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:15 pm

I've left an email and a voicemail also for John. I hope he has received them.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:04 am

Got a call back from John just now in response to my VM. Everything's good.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Got the new nut, and everything is back to normal/awesome. Thanks y'all !

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:10 am

I have the same problem as the original poster, only this time it's a defective truss rod in an L2500 Tribute. Love the bass, can't play it with this much bow in the neck. The nut is not stripped, the truss rod just doesn't have enough range in it, and the old "washer under the nut" trick doesn't work. Either the rod is slipping at the anchor end, the wood is compressing, or something of that nature.

Needs either a truss rod replacement, or a new neck. The bass was purchased used, so no warranty coverage...

Two weeks of calling and sending email to G&L, no response. Two Canadian dealers have told me that they can't help.

If someone could give me an alternate contact number, I'd be extremely grateful.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43 am

steve_rolfeca wrote:Two weeks of calling and sending email to G&L, no response. Two Canadian dealers have told me that they can't help.

Cutomer service, seems to be still the weakest point.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:45 am

steve_rolfeca wrote:I have the same problem as the original poster, only this time it's a defective truss rod in an L2500 Tribute. Love the bass, can't play it with this much bow in the neck. The nut is not stripped, the truss rod just doesn't have enough range in it, and the old "washer under the nut" trick doesn't work. Either the rod is slipping at the anchor end, the wood is compressing, or something of that nature.

Needs either a truss rod replacement, or a new neck. The bass was purchased used, so no warranty coverage...

Two weeks of calling and sending email to G&L, no response. Two Canadian dealers have told me that they can't help.

If someone could give me an alternate contact number, I'd be extremely grateful.

Which number and email address are you using? The current ones are (from the G&L main website Support page):
For non-warranty repairs in USA and Canada please contact Chris Robosan at (714)897-6766 extension 156 or
send an email to him arrange for the return your instrument to G&L for repairs, his email address is: crobosan@bbesound.com.

You might check eBay for Tribute necks, as they get parted out on a regular basis.

:ugeek: