Musikraft neck project

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:55 pm

After buying my 3rd G&L, I realized, I just don't like the 1 5/8" nut.

Going to 1 3/4 " nut.

Re: Musikraft neck project

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:01 am

Did that neck fit the neck pocket properly? Was it predrilled for the neck holes? Did you have to do any modification? I'm not a fan of 1 5/8 either.

Thanks.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:07 am

Just found this on Musikrafts Facebook page:

Here's one for the G&L fans! Being that we can only say no so many times and the fact that we get request on a regular bases for a neck to fit a G&L guitar, we figure its time to say yes. As you know what makes a Fender neck not-compatable with a G&L guitar is the length of the heel past the 21st fret. The heel on a G&L neck extends past the 22nd fret whereas a fender neck uses a finger board extension to add the 22nd fret. Fender necks of the same scale are shorter then a G&L neck making it imposable to intonate one to the other.

Although these necks are not yet available on our site (A couple more days), we figured we would start getting the word out. As to not ruffle any feathers we will not offer these necks with Fender or G&L head shapes but instead with a generic OEM style or Paddle head. The choices for these will be limited to 3 heel widths (2-3/16"--2.22"--2-1/4") and two nut widths (1-5/8"--1-11/16"). All other options will be the standard options offered on our other replacement necks. Spread the word:) Enjoy!

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:44 am

pvan wrote:Did that neck fit the neck pocket properly? Was it predrilled for the neck holes? Did you have to do any modification? I'm not a fan of 1 5/8 either.

Thanks.

1 5/8" sucks ass. Why does G&L continue to use that for default neck width is a mystery. Simple search on web shows heavily favor 11/16th.
What is interesting, I am seeing signature series at 1 3/4".

My latest and greatest G&L has 1 3/4 from the factory. Give G&L credit for giving us that option. Other places won't.

As for the Musikraft neck, it is in the shop and it not complete. It did not have pre-drilled holes and it did not have any coating. If I were to do it again, I would do the plank version of the headstock and shape it to the Interceptor (viewtopic.php?f=115&t=9057) headstock. That thing looks cool.

The luthier will paint the headstock black, use black locking tuners, coat it with poly, add the bone nut, drill the neck holes and file the SS frets a little.

Stay tuned. This project is in process...
Last edited by meowmix on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:47 am

pvan wrote:Although these necks are not yet available on our site (A couple more days), we figured we would start getting the word out. As to not ruffle any feathers we will not offer these necks with Fender or G&L head shapes but instead with a generic OEM style or Paddle head. The choices for these will be limited to 3 heel widths (2-3/16"--2.22"--2-1/4") and two nut widths (1-5/8"--1-11/16"). All other options will be the standard options offered on our other replacement necks. Spread the word:) Enjoy!

Get the paddle head and shape it to the Interceptor Linky -> viewtopic.php?f=115&t=9057.
As for 1 3/4, you have to put in the comment section you want 1 3/4.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:54 am

Thanks for the update and please post picks when it's done!

1 5/8" sucks ass

:lol:

That Interceptor headstock does look cool. Never saw that before. :thumbup:

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:39 am

G&L's neck profile, fretwire, fingerboard radius, flat / quatersawn neck choices and their nut width options are some of the main reasons why I prefer G&Ls over any Fender or Copycaster, with that slight extra width at the heel sealing the deal for me beyond question.
It obviously helps that everything else is great too; I just especially love the necks!

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:43 am

I only have Tributes (S-500 and Ascari) so there aren't any neck options available. I'd really like one of the regular USA models but I want to be sure I'm getting a neck I like. The S-500 and Ascari are radically different. The Ascari is 1 11/16" nut with kind of a D or U shaped neck that only has a slight increase in neck width from the nut to the upper registers. It's a much more traditional feeling neck. The S-500 is more of thin side of medium C shape with a fairly large increase in neck width (not depth) from the nut to the upper registers. I'd guess (haven't measured it) that the S-500 neck is wider at the 12th fret than the Ascari even though it has the smaller nut. There are some things I prefer on the Ascari and some I prefer on the S-500. The main thing that throws me off on the S-500 is the change in width. I'm still getting used to it though so who knows, I may adapt to it fine. My first S-500 was stolen (from a repair shop) and I just bought another one so it's not enough of an issue for me to not want the quality of the rest of the guitar. If I get one of the USA models though, I would probably have to go 1 11/16.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:19 pm

Items:
----------
JNL (2 PC Constructed)
Qty: 1
Amount: $355.00
Price: $355.00
Options:
Head Stock Shape: Generic OEM
Orientation: Right for Right Hand Players
Shaft Wood: Quartersawn Maple + $70
FB Wood: Black Ebony + $35
Nut Width: 1-11/16 (42.85mm)
Heel Width: 2-1/4 (57.15mm)
Truss Rod: Dual Acting Adjust @ Head
FB Radius: 16
Fret Wire: Jumbo 7100 Stainless Steel +$25
Tuner Holes: 10 MM (Sperzel/Gotoh/Schaller)
Top Dots: Abalone Dots +$20
Custom Inlay: None Dot Inlay as Selected Above
Side Dots: Glow In The Dark 2mm + $10
Back Profile: Chunky C -2 .90 X .99
FB Edges: Semi Rolled
Finish: None
Nut Install: None
Comments: 1.75" nut width. It isn't an option above so I was told to put it in the comment section.
1-3/4" (44.45mm) nut width on neck please.
Subtotal of Items: $355.00
Discounted Subtotal: $355.00
Prepaid By Gift Certificate: $0.00
Shipping & Handling: $16.00
--------------
Total for this Order: $371.00
Thanks again for shopping with us.
Musikraft LLC
--------------------------------------

Musikraft did not have a drop down option of 1 3/4" nut, you have to add it to the comment section.

Those Black tuners were $80.
Neck Stain? Painted headstock? fret dressing? Who is going to install it? Things to consider as this will cost $$$ as well.

Headstock difference

Darwin has pointed out

darwinohm wrote:
I do see an issue with the alignment of the tuner holes, especially on the low E side.
The tuner holes should be closer to the nut to give a better alignment between the nut and the tuner.

Darwin

Let's take a look: Both necks are 1 3/4" nut width.

Musikraft LOW E string. See the angle of the string go inward.

Compare it to the G&L Low E

Musikraft Low E and High E are both tilting inward

G&L. Low E seems pretty darn perfect. The High E moves out

Musikraft peg spacing of 10mm tuners is LESS than an inch

G&L peg spacing of 10mm tuners is MORE than an inch. Closer to 1 1/16.

Musikraft uses the same spacing as the 3 bolt models.

Spacing is found in the 3 Bolt version. This S500 is from 1996 or thereabouts. Back then they used different tuners.

G&L 3 Bolt 1996 front. Low E and High E tilted inward

G&L 3 Bolt 1996 Low E

It looks like Musikraft used the 3 bolt version for the hole placement.

Does G&L use the same spacing on all nut widths?
Craig wrote:
meowmix wrote:
I have a 1 3/4" G&L and a 1 5/8" G&L. Both seem to have identical peg tuner spacing.

See: Question about 1.75" or 1&3/4" or the #4 neck.

:ugeek:

Craig, when I asked that question, I did not have a 1 3/4" with me. Now I do.
As far as I can tell, using a straight edge ruler, the S500 uses the same spacing. I can't comment on other models.
Between the Low E and the nut have the same spacing, and the spacing between tuners are the same. As far as I can tell.

The first time getting it installed, things were not right. Brought it back and had them redo it.
The original neck starts from the heel and tapers to 1 5/8". The new neck starts at the heel and tapers to 1 3/4".
Because of the slight difference and the fact metal flake paint is thick, the first install did not go well.
The fix was to remove some of the thick paint inside the pocket. No wood shavings.
After the second attempt things look much better. The paint that was shaved, you can not see.
To early to give a final analysis. Give me 6 months or so, I hate giving a review after only of few days, let's see how it lasts.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 pm

Hey meowmix,

Could you post a photo of full length front and back of the guitar with this new neck?

I'm also interested in knowing the measurements of the neck heel on the original G&L neck and this aftermarket neck. It sounds as if the aftermarket neck was a bit
too wide.

You had mentioned this in your recent Lunch Report:

After emailing Jim back and forth, here is my take on our discussion.

MK needs to keep things as simple as possible to keep problems and costs down.
The tuner spacing they have works for all heel widths they offer. In reality, there is no problem. It is something we would like to have. If you look at the 3 bolt version above, they look to same as MK.

My advice to people who are thinking about getting a neck from them is to do it soon.
There is a point where it is no longer profitable to continue making a product if they have to answer 5,000 emails / phone calls for every item they sell. This is true for all businesses.

It seems that they have not gotten the tuner positions and spacing correct for current G&L neck dimensions and possibly the neck heel dimensions, as well.
If they really did use a 3-bolt neck for their template, they definitely need to fix that by using a 4-bolt G&L neck as a reference. Otherwise, they will not be able
to keep the problems and costs down. It kinda sounds like they are having second thoughts about offering necks for G&L instruments in the future. Is that the
way you see it from your conversion with them?

Also, I am surprised that you are okay with the tuner spacing since there is quite a bit of splay on the low E and A tuners. That would be a problem for me
if I ordered a neck from them and I think for others, it would too.

I do want to thank you for your posts on this and I do hope that it works out okay for you in the long run. Let us know your final impressions of this replacement neck.

:ugeek:

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:23 am

Craig wrote:It seems that they have not gotten the tuner positions and spacing correct for current G&L neck dimensions and possibly the neck heel dimensions, as well.
If they really did use a 3-bolt neck for their template, they definitely need to fix that by using a 4-bolt G&L neck as a reference. Otherwise, they will not be able
to keep the problems and costs down. It kinda sounds like they are having second thoughts about offering necks for G&L instruments in the future. Is that the
way you see it from your conversion with them?

MK has a license with Fender to make a proper neck.
MK does not have a license with G&L. That is something you need to ask G&L why that is.
It is possible MK used the Fender tuner spacing, not the 3 bolt G&L version. Or are they the same?
When I said that, I shot from the hip. I believe they are using generic Fender spacing.

MK needs to keep it generic as possible because there are at least 4 different G&L heel widths, 3 different nut sizes, number of different tuner spacing is unknown, and headstock angle. No way can MK handle each and every variation of necks G&L had over the years without a license to be profitable. Jim is trying to help us out as much as he can, but without an official license, he can only go so far.

My take on the conversation I had with Jim is, there is a market for these, but without a license it has quickly become a nightmare. Wrong heel width, wrong this or that.

Craig wrote:Also, I am surprised that you are okay with the tuner spacing since there is quite a bit of splay on the low E and A tuners. That would be a problem for me
if I ordered a neck from them and I think for others, it would too.

As far as I can tell , it is the exact same on my 90's 3 bolt. How bad can that be?
I would like to play it for sometime to see how it handles. Too early to tell.
Pics will come later.