Happy NewAmpDay!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Starting the new year out with a new amp, sold the '66 Bandmaster and cab and picked up that Vibrolux Reverb I mentioned in LR Duty a couple weeks ago.

There was two in the state, similarly priced I went after the one advertised as a '69 (better cab construction) drove 45mins each way on NYE to find out it was in fact a mid 70's version, in poor condition, reverb and trem didn't work and was heavily modified. I specifically asked the guy before I drove there if it was modified and if it was in good condition, so that pissed me right off.

Luckily the other amp, that I went and looked at last week was still around, advertised as a '78, it's actually a '79 no big deal I'm well into silverface territory either way.
It's in excellent condition, had some nice tubes in it, and sounds great. My only gripes are pretty small, replacement footswitch and replacement reverb transformer, no big deal.

Enough talk, here she is :banana:

Definitely a different sound than the Bandmaster, not better just different. Brighter for sure but that may just be the 10" speakers. It's still 35-40watts but about a quarter of the size/weight of the Bandmaster. To be honest I wish I could have kept both, but at least the BM went to a local studio, so who knows maybe you'll hear it on a record or two.

Have a good one!
-Dave

Re: Happy NewAmpDay!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 am

i like those vbroluxes a lot, but my favorites are from 63-65.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:37 am

Nice one Dave! That ASAT is a beauty too :thumbup:

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:17 am

Nice amp Dave, but the Asat also really caught my eye. That is a keeper!-- Darwin

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 am

That is a nice pair!

Ken

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 am

louis cyfer wrote:i like those vbroluxes a lot, but my favorites are from 63-65.

I'd love to have picked up a Blackface, they are just stupid expensive now, easily 3 times what I spent on this. Luckily the vibrolux didn't get as many changes as other amps from that era.

Nice amp Dave, but the Asat also really caught my eye. That is a keeper!-- Darwin

Nice one Dave! That ASAT is a beauty too

That is a nice pair!

Thanks guys! I really love that asat. Need to get a better camera though, that pic doesn't do it justice, looks like a solid red rather than the transparent red that it is.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 am

Dave_P wrote:Need to get a better camera though, that pic doesn't do it justice, looks like a solid red rather than the transparent red that it is.

The neck looks like there might be more than meets the eye too dave.do you have your plank posted here anywhere mate?
Nice amp btw,love vintage anything really.
Cheers

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Dave,

I owned a black face bandmaster before, and whatever you just bought, I never heard one, I am sure it is better.
My bandmaster sounded like a fart on the low E. Just nasty.

It has to really suck to drive all that way to find out there was major modifications done to an amp. How clueless can you be?

Dave, you can keep on taking these small steps to the ultimate tone or just http://www.londonpower.com/catalog/

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Hey Dave - Is that an old EV SRO speaker to the left in your photo?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:51 pm

helle-man wrote:Hey Dave - Is that an old EV SRO speaker to the left in your photo?

Looks like a pair of the coffee cans are stacked face to face... :searching:

Sweet get on the amp Dave! That is what I'd play out of when I was in college, (of course I had to stay in the store to do it.) The ASAT color combo is gorgeous as well.

I've decided to wait on purchase a new amp myself until the Korina Junior II and the WR are in my hands. I have a buddy that has his own private ampeteria. I'll just plug in and find out what sounds good!

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:37 pm

Black Page:
Right you are, the neck has a modest amount of birdseye going on, there are some pics somewhere around here, next sunny day(above 20 degrees) I'll get some proper pictures.

Meow:
My Bandmaster always sounded good, no fart problems, but you are right. This is better, sounded a bit shrill yesterday, a quick swap to my favorite tubes (6L6wgb) and the shrill is gone, bass tightened up too. I'll check out London power :mrgreen:

Will:
That is indeed a pair of 12" SRO's, I took them out of my bandmaster before I sold it. They sound particularly great with a 5e3 type amp I have. Just need to build them a new home.

Jag:
The magnets on those speakers are about the size and weight of coffee cans full of lead, but man do they sound good! I wish I had a friend like that, it's just a crap shoot when I get gas for these things. Although, I'm pretty sure I'd have gas more often if I did have a friend like that. Between you, Will and Black Page I all of a sudden want a z3

-Davr

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Dave_P wrote:Jag:
The magnets on those speakers are about the size and weight of coffee cans full of lead, but man do they sound good! I wish I had a friend like that, it's just a crap shoot when I get gas for these things. Although, I'm pretty sure I'd have gas more often if I did have a friend like that. Between you, Will and Black Page I all of a sudden want a z3

-Davr

'Come on in Dave, water's fine! :mrgreen:

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Dave_P wrote:Black Page:
Right you are, the neck has a modest amount of birdseye going on, there are some pics somewhere around here, next sunny day(above 20 degrees) I'll get some proper pictures.
-Davr

Looking forward to it dave cheers for that.
JagInTheBag wrote:
Dave_P wrote:Jag:
Between you, Will and Black Page I all of a sudden want a z3

-Davr

'Come on in Dave, water's fine! :mrgreen:

LMAO! :happy0007:
Well looky here, a spare seat at the bar :D return that stray lamb to the fold padre pat.hallelujah :)

Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:00 am

Dave_P wrote:
Will:
That is indeed a pair of 12" SRO's, I took them out of my bandmaster before I sold it. They sound particularly great with a 5e3 type amp I have. Just need to build them a new home.
-Davr

In the early 70's, right after getting out of the army, I bought 8 of those EV SRO 12's and put them in various amps and cabinets. They're strange speakers - at very low volumes they're a little fuzzy, but they get cleaner the louder you play. They love high power. They're not for everyone, but they do have a characteristic sound that I like.

Those are probably the heaviest speakers I ever owned. I have a pair in an old blackface Twin Reverb. I need a crane to lift it now!

WR

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:32 am

helle-man wrote:They're not for everyone, but they do have a characteristic sound that I like.

Those are probably the heaviest speakers I ever owned. I have a pair in an old blackface Twin Reverb. I need a crane to lift it now!
WR

I can't even imagine how much that Twin would weigh, the 2x12 cab alone was too much for me to want to bring anywhere.

'Come on in Dave, water's fine!

LOL, We'll see, I'd have to move some other gear first. There's one local for a good price, if it's still there I just may have to buy it :mrgreen:

-Dave

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Dave_P wrote:
LOL, We'll see, I'd have to move some other gear first. There's one local for a good price, if it's still there I just may have to buy it :mrgreen:

-Dave

Attaboy! :thumbup: is she a tribby or the real McCoy dave? The tribbys ain't too bad either I reckon.some nice grain action in some I've seen about for sure.dems skull inlays however are another kettle of fish altogether :twisted:

Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:55 pm

is she a tribby or the real McCoy dave?

Not a tribby, it's the real deal. Just a regular z3, not the WR sig though, I really do love those skull inlays.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Dave_P wrote:
is she a tribby or the real McCoy dave?

Not a tribby, it's the real deal. Just a regular z3, not the WR sig though, I really do love those skull inlays.

See that trigger there? Pull it! :BangBang: