Is There A shortage Of Maple?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 pm

I just received a new MF catalog and was looking at prices. The new Fender American Standards are $100 more if you buy a Maple fretboard over a Rosewood. I thought Rosewood was short in supply. Any ideas? -- Darwin

Re: Is There A shortage Of Maple?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:47 pm

darwinohm wrote:I just received a new MF catalog and was looking at prices. The new Fender American Standards are $100 more if you buy a Maple fretboard over a Rosewood. I thought Rosewood was short in supply. Any ideas? -- Darwin

I've been told that all maple trees have been ordered into service to make up the about 6,000,000lb of maple syrup that got stolen from the Canadian Maple Reserve. Few trees available for lumber. ;) ;)

- Jos

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Only on this forum will you get the important answers!!!!!! Great answer Jos.-- Darwin

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Is it the extra manufacturing steps needed to finish the maple fretboard? In today's business environment, I could see an extra $25 worth of labor being passed along to the consumer at a 300% markup.

Ken

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:33 pm

darwinohm wrote:I just received a new MF catalog and was looking at prices. The new Fender American Standards are $100 more if you buy a Maple fretboard over a Rosewood. I thought Rosewood was short in supply. Any ideas? -- Darwin

from what i can tell the maple necks are still one piece, no separate fretboard like on rosewood, so the trussrod goes in through the skunkstripe. it's a different process, and the fretboards get lacquered, unlike the rosewood.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:13 pm

I have some great trees. Really. Even a big one that could yield some serious Birdseye...

Cheers,

Will

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:40 pm

willross wrote:I have some great trees. Really. Even a big one that could yield some serious Birdseye...

Cheers,

Will

Everybody, let's grab our chainsaws and head to Will's! :evilgrin:

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:48 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Everybody, let's grab our chainsaws and head to Will's! :evilgrin:

How about an all-birdseye maple ASAT for the LE 3???

Ken

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:49 pm

KenC wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:Everybody, let's grab our chainsaws and head to Will's! :evilgrin:

How about an all-birdseye maple ASAT for the LE 3???

Ken

I'd rather do All-Birdseye Semi Hollow F-100 for the LE-3...

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:56 pm

Yeah, tell me about it. I need to learn about wood mgmt/curing. It has tons of little branches and that makes for heavy birdseye'ing.

Cheers,

Will

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Will, a friend of mine has a sawmill. Lets start building!!-- Darwin

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:19 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:

I've been told that all maple trees have been ordered into service to make up the about 6,000,000lb of maple syrup that got stolen from the Canadian Maple Reserve. Few trees available for lumber. ;) ;)

- Jos

I actually heard that they recovered about 2/3rds of the stolen syrup. Also, are you certain that the same variety of maple used in guitar building are also sugar maples? Seems like a waste going both ways...

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:48 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Also, are you certain that the same variety of maple used in guitar building are also sugar maples? Seems like a waste going both ways...

Don't know. Never have taken a bite out of my neck. But on a good day, it is oozing with great tone. Sounds pretty sweet to me ... ;) ;)

- Jos

P.S. On a more serious note, the scientific name for Sugar Maple is Acer Saccharum (not entirely surprising, isn't it?). Maple bodies on the other hand are soft maple aka Acer Rubrum or Red Maple. (Canadian) hardrock maple neck is a colloquial name for Sugar Maple. So I'm not completely of my rocker. However, although Wikipedia lists Hard Maple and Rock Maple as aliases for Sugar Maple on their page for maple species, looking for Rock Maple directly gets you the page of Acer Glabrum. Hard Maple is still Sugar Maple. Bit of a long answer, but hardy anything seems to be black&white nowadays.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:54 pm

darwinohm wrote:Will, a friend of mine has a sawmill. Lets start building!!-- Darwin

Ok, but I want to do it right. It's big enough to make a few mistakes, but my gut says there's at least a few bodies and necks in there...

Cheers,

Will