Guitar tech around Vancouver, BC

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:58 am

Hi All!

I bought an ASAT Special at the beginning of this year. I'm getting some fret buzz, and I figure I've played it enough that I would like to get a really good setup done. Does anyone know of a good guitar tech. around the Vancouver, BC area? Burnaby would be even better. :)

Thanks!

Re: Guitar tech around Vancouver, BC

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 am

http://www.nicolealosinacluthiery.com/
In Vancouver--she works on all of Randy Bachman's guitars. Read her bio and testimonials on the website.
By appointment only--reasonable rates and turnaround times.
I was happy with her work when I brought my ASAT Classic in for setup and have referred several other satisfied clients.

Where did you buy your G&L?

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks Eddie! I bought my ASAT Special from Deep Cove music. When I bought it, they were clear that they don't do setups and that I should take it to someone really good to get it properly set up. I believe they recommended Paul Iverson who used to be at NJAMS but now works out of North Van. Apparently there's an impressive guitar maker in my neighbourhood that does a great job named Barry Ewart. He came highly recommended so I'll check him out too.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:24 am

OK, I dropped the ASAT off last night with Barry Ewart. I'm getting a setup and a bone nut added. After almost a decade, I'm also getting my Deluxe Fat Strat set up properly too. It's silly how excited I am. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:40 pm

I got the guitar back last Thursday and it is awesome! My fingers hurt from playing so much yesterday.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Awesome! Good as New, Guitar Day!

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm getting a setup and a bone nut added.

Is your ASAT a U.S. model or a Tribute? The U.S. models come stock with bone nuts, with Graph-Tech as an upgrade.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:13 am

Strange...mine is a US model but had what looked like a plastic nut.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:21 am

my bluesboy is a 2008, USA, came with a plastic nut. When I ordered my 2011 Special, I went for the graphtec upgrade just in case. Love the graphtec nuts.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 am

my bluesboy is a 2008, USA, came with a plastic nut.

When I ordered my ASAT in May of 2011 the Bone Nut was standard. I'm not certain if the change was made in late 2010 or early 2011.

Do you know the build date of your new guitar? When I went to the Deep Cove store I got the impression that they didn't sell many guitars--it is possible your guitar may have been hanging there for quite a while. Does it have the new metal serial number "plate" on the headstock? Did it come with the new custom form fit G&G case? I think these changes came about around the same time as the bone nut becoming standard.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:27 am

suave eddie wrote:
my bluesboy is a 2008, USA, came with a plastic nut.

When I ordered my ASAT in May of 2011 the Bone Nut was standard. I'm not certain if the change was made in late 2010 or early 2011.

Do you know the build date of your new guitar? When I went to the Deep Cove store I got the impression that they didn't sell many guitars--it is possible your guitar may have been hanging there for quite a while. Does it have the new metal serial number "plate" on the headstock? Did it come with the new custom form fit G&G case? I think these changes came about around the same time as the bone nut becoming standard.

Bone nut became standard in September 2009, see: Re: Nut Material ?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks Craig, I did a search but couldn't find that thread.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:30 pm

I think I got a pretty good deal on this guitar because it had been hanging in that shop for quite a while. I have the hang tag they put on it and it lists it as:

ASATSPL-BBRW (I assume ASAT Special-Butterscotch Blond Rosewood)
Body - Alder
Neck - Hard Rock Maple
Fingerboard - Rosewood (listed as maple on the tag)
Bunch of other obvious stuff

What's funny is under controls it lists - Master Volume, Master Tone-Tap (?!?!) I've never seen a single coil with a tap. :)

I just added it to the registry.
Last edited by Slivyr on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:12 pm

I forgot to mention that I don't see a metal plate on the headstock and it came in the big, rectangular case, not the fitted one.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:47 pm

The metal plate serial number started in February 2011. April 2010 is when the new custom fitted G&G cases began to be used. From the outside they look like any other rectangular tolex covered case, but inside they are form fitted to each model.

Have you been able to determine the build date either by serial number or body and neck stamp?
BTW it does not exist without photos.

That is a strange store--I've never seen anyone in there that actually knows anything about guitars--just a woman/receptionist sitting at a desk. I'm not surprised that your guitar was hanging there for so long. I probably played that guitar when I was shopping for my ASAT Classic--I can't remember exactly what was in stock--seems like there was a couple of U.S. models and a couple of Tributes.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:33 pm

I remember getting scolded for no pic when I first introduced myself. Here is what I posted then with the dirty pic guard. (I couldn't put the guitar down long enough to wipe it down) viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5282

When I went there, I did speak to someone that knew a bit about guitars. When I finally bought it, it took them about 40 minutes of searching through the cases to find the right one, then it turned out it didn't have the certificate. They had to get another from G&L. For all I know, this guitar could be from 2009. G&L seems a little random in their numbering scheme, so that doesn't really help. All that aside, they were nice, they gave me what I thought was a good deal on a guitar I fell in love with, and I supported a local small business. It helps that there aren't a lot of G&L dealers around for me to go and try out the guitars. What's funny is I was going to buy an American Tele and a Blues Jr., but Fender seemed so intent on price fixing. I looked elsewhere. I'm so glad I did!