Another Tele, Not ASAT Class!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:01 pm

I had a last Fender Jazz Bass that I never used and I traded for this about 3 weeks ago. I have 4 teles with all having different pickups. This is a 2012 American and it has the custom shop pickups and belly cut. I like the color, Candy Cola, but couldn't show it to anyone as it came with a plain White pickguard. That has now changed so I am coming out of the closet. Louis, you won't like it. The camera does not do a good job on the Red Pearl pickguard. By the way, G&L is still way ahead, I have 7 ASATS. -- Darwin
BEFORE

AFTER

Back

Re: Another Tele, Not ASAT Class!

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:47 am

Looks like fender changed the bridge saddles in 2012? they look different than the earlier models?
PS, I like the color!

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks Huck. They went to the bent saddles about 3 years ago. Some people claim it improves the sustain. You couldn't prove it by me. -- Darwin

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 am

Looks fun, the white PG looked a whole lot better though.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:04 pm

I have the same guitar - 2012 American Standard but with maple finger board
and the pearl jade finish (with white pickguard). I especially like the sound
of the saddles and the custom shop pickups. I heard another guy playing
it in Guitar Center and when he put it down (I was afraid he was going to buy it)
I picked it up and bought it on the spot.

This was the week of the Fender IPO and this was the first batch of these
guitars shipped. I bought the 2012 American Standard strat the same day
too. Neither the tele nor the strat sounded quite the same as the others
in the batch. These two were special so I broke the piggy band to get them.
I have no buyers remorse on either guitar.

There is a semi hollow ASAT blues boy (no F hole with flame maple top) that
I want to get but I'll have to wait since it is as much as these two put together.
It sounds special too - so far nobody has bought it.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:51 pm

I expected a mixed reaction on the pickguard. My choice would have been White Pearl. The picture doesn't do it justice but it is striking and was Ginnys idea. A smart man would listen, especially with the strays that I come home with. She is usually right and the plain white did not do it justice. We compared 3 of the Teles last weekend and the brightest was Tex Mex pickups, followed by a 97 American Standard, and this 2012 came it with the least Tele twang but a very sweet tone. It is all subjective. We then got into the ASATS and it was nirvana from there. They truly are tone monsters and the new Alnicos are really sweet with a lot of overtones. -- Darwin

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:45 am

Darwin: Nothing wrong with a white plate. They both look great, and I think a white pearl will too.

Jwebsmall: I hear Ya, I had a similar experience with a telebration old growth. The thing is, the price
was too high for me. There is only a handful in this country so I thought it would dissapear quick.
Suprisingly it didn't. First time I found it was a year ago and the guy didn't want to bargain at all.
I kept coming back every now and then and the same story. Last wednesday I went there to find
a bass for a friend and as a joke I asked him "are ready to deal yet?". he looked at me and smiled
and said "are You?". Then he said "You can have it at my cost !!!". Now I'm not sure I beleive that
but I got a ~$500 discount, I just couldn't say no to that. This one is better built than any of my
G&L's. It has a wonderful clean sound, and a bautiful high end. The tone is a little fatter than my
American standard and I think it has to go. It doesn't quite reach the low end power and quality
of my Asat classic. It's there in body but there is something with the MFD's low end that other
pickups don't match. So with the sweet low end of this Tele and the low end power of my Asat
they make a good match.

Don't have a camera available now, sorry.

Cheers
L-zr

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 am

Darwin:

I'm not a big fan of white PGs but I prefer the white PG on your CCR Telecaster. I'm also not a big fan of the Tex Mex telecaster pickups. Aren't they on the hot side? I've never liked them in the teles I've tried that had them. And while I'm at it sharing my opinion, I prefer the telecaster block saddles to the new bent steel, although I can understand why some people like them, they do seem to have more bite. I have a beautiful 2009, 2-tone sunburst American Standard with bent steel saddles. It's actually a nice guitar but I recently picked up a 89 American standard which I like better, it seems to have more personality. Which custom shop pickups did Fender choose for the new AM Standards? I really like the neck pickup on my 09 tele and I've read some guys prefer these older neck pickups to the new Custom Shop neck pickups. The biggest issue with the last generation of AM Standard telecaster was the bridge pickup. Too bright, not very sweet. I'm sure the new AM Standard bridge pickup is better (IMO of course).

I can't wait to hear the new G & L alnico ASAT Classic pickups.

Tom

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Tom, Of the four Tele's that I have they go from hot to tame as follows. Hot 62 reissue, American with Tex Mex, Hot to tame, wide range is the 97 Tele Plus and the tamest is the 2012 with the twisted custom shop. As for the saddles, I have not decided but tend to lean to the American Deluxe saddles. I do not play the Tele's very much as I tend to use ASATS. As for the pickguard color, I would prefer vintage white pearl but Ii had Ginny decide and it is spectacular in person. It does not photograph well, probably due to my photographic skills. I do have a set of the new Anicos in the Pine ASAT Classic. they are perfect, very sweet with overtones and lush sounding. I love them although this one will not get gigged.-- Darwin