Source for strings

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi all

Does anyone have personal experience with http://www.stringsandbeyond.com?

They seem to have pretty decent prices....cheaper than I can find on eBay and free shipping to U.S. and Canada on orders over $35.

I was interested in the D'Addario Pure Nickel for $5.99 ea. I see in another post by Lucifer a recommendation for Curt Mangan pure nickel--they are only $.50 a pack more than the D'Addario.

Does anyone else have an opinion on D'Addario vs Curt Mangan pure nickel strings, and can anyone recommend this online seller?

Thanks

P.S.
Note to Lucifer:
They have Thomastik strings and are offering an additional 10% off right now. I don't know which strings you use so not sure of the listed price.

Re: Source for strings

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 pm

I would get the Curt mangan if you haven't tried them. When I first put a set on and hit a chord it was
a mini- "eureka " moment for me. Strings and Beyond has super fast delivery and free shipping over
$35 IIRC.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks for your testimonial. It's good to hear that you have had a positive experience with this outfit. I think I'll order half a dozen packs of the Curt Mangon and get the free shipping.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:09 am

strings and beyond is good. i have used them before, although i prefer to buy locally. i use the thomastic power brights (.10-.50) along with the curt mangan pure nickels.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:10 am

I've been buying from strings and beyond for years, they ship for free to canada and if I keep the total under $200, I get them without import taxes and HST.

So I buy often, package just comes in the mail.

Thanks to Louis, I just bought Thomastik Infield Blues SLiders and Power Brights. Damn, can't use anything else now.........

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:09 pm

I shop at Stringsandbeyond all the time, great service for me, esp with the free shipping and such. They have even special ordered some singles for me from time to time.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:59 pm

astutzmann wrote:I've been buying from strings and beyond for years, they ship for free to canada and if I keep the total under $200, I get them without import taxes and HST.

So I buy often, package just comes in the mail.

Thanks to Louis, I just bought Thomastik Infield Blues SLiders and Power Brights. Damn, can't use anything else now.........

i was really mad at the guy that talked me into giving them a shot. they are more expensive, but such a difference. i am glad i could pass the misery on :mrgreen:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:14 pm

I got a few sets of the Curt Mangan pure nickels and finally put a set on today. Shipping was free and pretty quick for Canadian standards. So far so good--I'll give them some time to settle. I had just recently switched to pure nickel but was using D'Addario. I was impressed already with the D'Addario, especially with what I considered longer life than what I was used to with nickel plated. Time will tell if I like the Curt Mangan better. I would be afraid to try the Thomastik.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:43 pm

suave eddie wrote:I got a few sets of the Curt Mangan pure nickels and finally put a set on today. Shipping was free and pretty quick for Canadian standards. So far so good--I'll give them some time to settle. I had just recently switched to pure nickel but was using D'Addario. I was impressed already with the D'Addario, especially with what I considered longer life than what I was used to with nickel plated. Time will tell if I like the Curt Mangan better. I would be afraid to try the Thomastik.

I switched to Curt Mangan's and thought I'd be fine with that for o good long time.
Had to try the TI's... It's hard to put the guitar down now...bell high's , rich low E ...

I even switched to 11's for the time being to strengthen my fingers and get a stronger fundamental.
It's worth the extra cost ...and I'm a low budget guy most the time . I'll keep buying the Curt's too,
they are really good.

My fingers are tired ...no blisters though :thumbup:

Thanks a million Louis ...love the TONE !!!

LOL, Elwood

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:10 pm

Just ordered the Power Brights I figured Id give em a try ! a little pricey but if Louis thinks they are worth it I must try them!
+1 in the misery!

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:26 pm

You know, I saw those Thomastik bass strings looking for flats and thought damn... that is expensive. And now all you folks have got me curious. When my new bass arrives I will be restringing the Carvin with flats.... This might get expensive depending on my curiousity level.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Elwood wrote:
suave eddie wrote:I got a few sets of the Curt Mangan pure nickels and finally put a set on today. Shipping was free and pretty quick for Canadian standards. So far so good--I'll give them some time to settle. I had just recently switched to pure nickel but was using D'Addario. I was impressed already with the D'Addario, especially with what I considered longer life than what I was used to with nickel plated. Time will tell if I like the Curt Mangan better. I would be afraid to try the Thomastik.

I switched to Curt Mangan's and thought I'd be fine with that for o good long time.
Had to try the TI's... It's hard to put the guitar down now...bell high's , rich low E ...

I even switched to 11's for the time being to strengthen my fingers and get a stronger fundamental.
It's worth the extra cost ...and I'm a low budget guy most the time . I'll keep buying the Curt's too,
they are really good.

My fingers are tired ...no blisters though :thumbup:

Thanks a million Louis ...love the TONE !!!

LOL, Elwood

you are welcome.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 am

Wow... something better than Mangans? Okay, Ill have to give them a shot too! Great thread here. I have been contemplating going to strings and beyond for quite some time. My closest store is a bit high on Mangans and even though I like to support them I think on something that small a couple dollar markup is a bit excessive knowing they should be getting them cheaper than strings and beyond sells them for even!

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 am

Well I've had the Mangans on for a week now. I've actually had to adjust the tone settings on my amp--these strings are really bright--very "bell" like tone. In all my years of playing, I've never heard a more dramatic difference in sounds from a string change.

Regarding the Thomastiks--what is the difference between the Infield Blues Sliders and the Power Brights?

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:13 am

There is a difference, I have bought the Power Brights but not tried them yet, just so in love with the blues sliders.

Blues Sliders

.10 - .48
Round Core

Power Brights

.10 - .45
Hex Core

They say..........power brights are more designed for pure rockers, whatever that means.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:24 am

suave eddie wrote:

Regarding the Thomastiks--what is the difference between the Infield Blues Sliders and the Power Brights?

I'd like to try the sliders, if they made them without silk I'd have them on a couple guitars already.
It's tricky avoiding all animal products, I wouldn't have guessed these days that would affect my electric guitar string choices.( I imagine there weren't any vegan string players a couple hundred years ago.)

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:04 pm

I usually associate silk combo strings with acoustic guitar.
From the Thomastik website:
"The SLIDERS Blues Series brings your guitar to life. Its even-numbered overtones have been re-inforced for a gentle, low-down sound that sings by itself."

Hmm....reinforced "even-numbered overtones"? "Sings by itself"??

Regarding the Power Brights it says "high output level, specifically designed for special effects". "POWER-BRIGHTS are the ultimate strings for rock guitars." Not sure exactly what this means. Does this just mean that they are louder? What "special effects" are they referring to?

Anyone here who has tried both of these can perhaps decipher the marketing hype B.S. and put this in simple terms that mean something?

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:28 pm

astutzmann wrote:There is a difference, I have bought the Power Brights but not tried them yet, just so in love with the blues sliders.

Blues Sliders

.10 - .48
Round Core

Power Brights

.10 - .45
Hex Core

They say..........power brights are more designed for pure rockers, whatever that means.

i use the 10-50 power brights, they are copper coated on the plain strings, makes the bends feel like butter, and the wound string are thicker, more ouput, yet more pliable and don't feel stiffer.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:31 pm

suave eddie wrote:I usually associate silk combo strings with acoustic guitar.
From the Thomastik website:
"The SLIDERS Blues Series brings your guitar to life. Its even-numbered overtones have been re-inforced for a gentle, low-down sound that sings by itself."

Hmm....reinforced "even-numbered overtones"? "Sings by itself"??

Regarding the Power Brights it says "high output level, specifically designed for special effects". "POWER-BRIGHTS are the ultimate strings for rock guitars." Not sure exactly what this means. Does this just mean that they are louder? What "special effects" are they referring to?

Anyone here who has tried both of these can perhaps decipher the marketing hype B.S. and put this in simple terms that mean something?

all of that is bull, probably bad translation from german. what matters is that they feel and sound absolutely fantastic. i used mangans for a few years, loved them, when i put on the thomastic, i experienced another dramatic jump from the mangans, about the magnitude that the mangans were from regular strings. btw, i play blues but use the power brights.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:09 pm

i play blues but use the power brights.

So how would you describe the difference between the Blues Sliders and the Power Brights? Can it be put into words?

Do the Sliders with the silk inlay have less tension than similar gauge of different material? I believe this is the case with usual silk and steel acoustic strings.

Also, the website is a bit confusing--First off it says the unwound strings are brass plated (Power Brights) as you said, but when you look at the specs to order, it gives an option of plain steel, or tinplated steel for the unwound strings.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:31 pm

suave eddie wrote:
i play blues but use the power brights.

So how would you describe the difference between the Blues Sliders and the Power Brights? Can it be put into words?

Do the Sliders with the silk inlay have less tension than similar gauge of different material? I believe this is the case with usual silk and steel acoustic strings.

Also, the website is a bit confusing--First off it says the unwound strings are brass plated (Power Brights) as you said, but when you look at the specs to order, it gives an option of plain steel, or tinplated steel for the unwound strings.

the sliders are nickel wound which gives a little mellower sound. a bit less output. for really bright guitar like some g&l mfd pups, they work better. the power brights are a little less tension and the brass (definitely brass when you look at them you'll know) coated plain strings feel really smooth. more output as well.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:53 am

i just put on a set of sliders, and while they have the same trebles as the power brights, for hotter pups or very bright guitars they work better. i am sticking with the power brights for most guitars though. one advantage of the sliders is doing chord melody, the top string sing out a little more, while the wound strings blend a little more mellow.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:44 pm

suave eddie wrote:Hi all

They seem to have pretty decent prices....cheaper than I can find on eBay and free shipping to U.S. and Canada on orders over $35.

I was interested in the D'Addario Pure Nickel for $5.99 ea. I see in another post by Lucifer a recommendation for Curt Mangan pure nickel--they are only $.50 a pack more than the D'Addario.

Does anyone else have an opinion on D'Addario vs Curt Mangan pure nickel strings, and can anyone recommend this online seller?

Thanks

P.S.
Note to Lucifer:
They have Thomastik strings and are offering an additional 10% off right now. I don't know which strings you use so not sure of the listed price.

Have you ever tried GHS Rollerwound Nickel Rockers? I find them to be great strings: http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ghropuniroel.html I have .011's on my Hagstrom & .010's on my ASAT Special. They sound a lot better than D'Addario 10-46 (EXL110's.) I have to admit though, I have not tried the Mangans or the Thomastik sliders. ;)

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:08 am

Lefty wrote:
suave eddie wrote:Hi all

Thanks

P.S.
Note to Lucifer:

Have you ever tried GHS Rollerwound Nickel Rockers? I find them to be great strings: http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ghropuniroel.html I have .011's on my Hagstrom & .010's on my ASAT Special. They sound a lot better than D'Addario 10-46 (EXL110's.) I have to admit though, I have not tried the Mangans or the Thomastik sliders. ;)

i liked the ghs rollerwounds and burnished nickels before i tried the mangans. they were better than the daddarios and the dr's. but the mangans were a step up. the thomastic was another big step from there. it looks like your taste leans in the same direction.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:10 am

Elwood wrote:
suave eddie wrote:

I'd like to try the sliders, if they made them without silk I'd have them on a couple guitars already.
It's tricky avoiding all animal products, I wouldn't have guessed these days that would affect my electric guitar string choices.( I imagine there weren't any vegan string players a couple hundred years ago.)

actually i learned yesterday that the power brights have silk in them too. at least according to their local rep here. it is synthetic though. so you should be safe.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:20 am

louis cyfer wrote:
Elwood wrote:
suave eddie wrote:

actually i learned yesterday that the power brights have silk in them too. at least according to their local rep here. it is synthetic though. so you should be safe.

That's good info that serves me well, are you under the impression that the same synthetic silk is used
for the sliders? That would be good news for me and a zillion little silk worms : )

thanks Louis, I've worn the brass coating off the b and e strings and they still sound and play great.

time to order some more,
Elwood

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:54 am

Elwood wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:
Elwood wrote:
suave eddie wrote:

That's good info that serves me well, are you under the impression that the same synthetic silk is used
for the sliders? That would be good news for me and a zillion little silk worms : )

thanks Louis, I've worn the brass coating off the b and e strings and they still sound and play great.

time to order some more,
Elwood

i was told they use exactly the same silk for both strings, the difference is the wrap material and the core shape. i am with you on trying to avoid unnecessarily hurting innocent animals. that's why i prefer hunting people :mrgreen:

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:25 am

louis cyfer wrote:
I was told they use exactly the same silk for both strings, the difference is the wrap material and the core shape. i am with you on trying to avoid unnecessarily hurting innocent animals. that's why i prefer hunting people :mrgreen:

I needed some good news, my old mac is on the fritz, apparently a common motherboard issue with
the old ones and protools LE...arggghhh!!! oh well...it's served me well for 10+ years....no recording until
I get a new system up and running.
I gotta sell a guitar I think to get me up to date ...non attachment can be a b*tch : )

NSD !!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:57 am

New String Day !!!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:18 am

hell yeah.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:57 am

Well, looks like i'll have to jump on the bandwagon with all the great input on strings now i've got to go spend some green!