Carvin MTS Series Amps

Sun May 06, 2012 3:54 pm

I just picked up a Carvin MTS 3200 amp head for $200. I bought it at a pawn shop. Whoever owned it replaced the 6l6GTs with EL-34s. The clean sound is good for what I need, which is classic country. However, I'm think of returning it. Its a mid 90s USA built amp which Carvin sold for around $550. I'm a little bit gun shy however. Back in the late 90s I owned a earliy 90s Ampeg (SLM Ampeg). It was a piece of junk and was in the shop at least once a year. It just could not hold up to the load ins, load outs, 4 hour practices etc. Although the Carvin sounds good, I can't afford an amp that is a sissy like my Ampeg was. I have a mid 80s Acoustic GT-60 which is built like a tank and can take a beating, however it does not have a great clean sound (it has a killer OD sound however). I'd have to sell my Acoustic if I keep the Carvin. I'm conflicted. Does anyone have experience with the Carvin MTS series amps? My gut instinct is to return it and find something more robust. :fighting0030:

Thanks

Re: Carvin MTS Series Amps

Sun May 06, 2012 6:35 pm

I had a 90's ampeg head that sucked too...The Carvin equipment I've had didn't stay
long either, It was clean but in a dry sort of way...no flavor or punch.
It sounds like your quest might not be over.

In the price range You might keep a look out for a Peavey amp...I have heard some good country tones from players using Peaveys with the Black Widow speakers . e.g. Session 400 , and this one looks interesting:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/2999886689.html

I'd try to keep the Acoustic if it makes you Happy
(Peavey distortion in my experience can be gritty to piercing)

Elwood

Sun May 06, 2012 8:44 pm

i never liked the tone of carvin guitar amps, but reliability wise they were always good. that's a good price.

Tue May 08, 2012 6:42 am

Elwood:

I think you are on to something. It would kill me to dump the Acoustic unless I was trading up. The Acoustic might not sound great as a clean amp but it is very reliable and looks cool on my 2x10 cab. I could go for a Musicman or Peavey 1x12 or Musicman head for my "budget priced" country amp. The 2x12 Peavey is way to heavy for me (i'm 51 for goodness sake).

Louis:

I agree that $200 is a good deal for a tube amp and if this was an older Carvin like the x100b I might keep it. But I learned my lesson with my Ampeg. It might be cheap up front but if it nickle and dimes you to death it aint worth keeping (kinda like a car).

Wed May 09, 2012 2:01 am

why do you think the carvin would be like your ampeg?

Wed May 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Go with your gut Tom.

Reliable + cheap = Peavey, no question. I use a transtube Peavey Envoy as my cheap country amp. Cost me $40. For rehearsals and practice its fine, and a lot lighter than a valve powered 212 combo. The sound isn't quite as inspiring as my other amps, but at such a small fraction of the cost who cares?

The Peavey Classic line sell used for next to nix, they're definitely worth looking at if you want a cheap amp that's loud enough to gig with.