Pickguard Differences

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:58 pm

I changed the pickguard on my Stingray 5 today. Same lighting but the camera reacts differently to the colors.-- Darwin

Re: Pickguard Differences

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:54 pm

you were able to match the horror of the first one with the disgrace of the second one :)

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:13 pm

louis cyfer wrote:you were able to match the horror of the first one with the disgrace of the second one :)

Only Louis can get away with saying this so eloquently but I agree with him in this case. I do like pearl white in many cases though. Sorry Darwin.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Michael-GnL-Michael wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:you were able to match the horror of the first one with the disgrace of the second one :)

Only Louis can get away with saying this so eloquently but I agree with him in this case. I do like pearl white in many cases though. Sorry Darwin.

:happy0065: if i had to choose, i'd take tort over pearl. i think in this case the pearl work particularly bad. that tort guard actually is one of the better looking tort guards i have seen.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Louis, you were laying in the weeds for a while on this one. Ginny does not like the white pearl. I think it could be interesting but the jury is still out. Thanks Louis and MGM, at least I can change it back to Tort if I decide to. I will probably gig with the white next weekend. I wasn't sure if it was a good change and that's why I posted it. Thanks guys!!!!!-- Darwin :confused0007: :confused0007:

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:00 am

I'll take a minority position here and say that I prefer the pearloid, I think it looks really sharp! Is it white or cream pearloid? That finish looks pretty close to my first Legacy (in my avatar) and I love the cream pearloid on it!

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Muleya, The guitar color is exactly like in the first photo and is like your avatar. That is the look I was trying to get. It is a white pearl. I am going to leave it for now. hanks for your input.-- Darwin

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:09 pm

The tortie looks GREAT, but what it needs to tie it all together is white p/u covers and switch tip, plus chrome knobs. Do that and you won't have the close in darkness value but not the same color effect going on that you had w/ the black parts. Kind of like how you wouldn't wear a black shirt with a dark brown suit (or the opposite).

The tortie is a very good compliment to the color of the body, though.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Darwin,

I would put a black pickguard on the guitar. It is the universal badasss pickguard color. Black also has a way of allowing all of the other visuals to shine out. I do not like the shape of that pickguard more than anything so dialing it back in terms of perceived spacial positioning is a winning move.

BTW, that fretwood is exquisite. Is there anything special about it? Anything special about the way you clean and polish it up?

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:31 pm

Michael-GnL-Michael wrote:.

Darwin,

I would put a black pickguard on the guitar. It is the universal badasss pickguard color. Black also has a way of allowing all of the other visuals to shine out. I do not like the shape of that pickguard more than anything so dialing it back in terms of perceived spacial positioning is a winning move.

BTW, that fretwood is exquisite. Is there anything special about it? Anything special about the way you clean and polish it up?

looks like Brazilian rosewood to me.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:31 am

MGM, you asked about the fretboard wood. I am posting pictures of the two things that stood out about this bass to me. The wood in the fretboard is spectacular. I generally don't buy new guitars but this one I did. I purchased this one in Nov-2008 and have gigged with it since and it still looks like the day I brought it home. In addition to the fretboard it has a spectacular back and I call it my Runestone bass because it has some "hooked X's" on the back. The hooked x is a very significant rune on the runestone. When I saw this it was heavy negotiating and out the door. It is a very special bass but has been replaced as my main gigger by the new L-2500. --Darwin

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 am

darwinohm wrote:MGM, you asked about the fretboard wood. I am posting pictures of the two things that stood out about this bass to me. The wood in the fretboard is spectacular. I generally don't buy new guitars but this one I did. I purchased this one in Nov-2008 and have gigged with it since and it still looks like the day I brought it home. In addition to the fretboard it has a spectacular back and I call it my Runestone bass because it has some "hooked X's" on the back. The hooked x is a very significant rune on the runestone. When I saw this it was heavy negotiating and out the door. It is a very special bass but has been replaced as my main gigger by the new L-2500. --Darwin

Darwin, the problem is that the white pearl clashes with the tort cat you have there. You need to switch back to tort so the feline coordinates better. :smoking030:

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 am

That is Magic, one of our kitties and she is beautiful and would make any pickguard clash! -- Darwin

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:12 pm

darwinohm wrote:That is Magic, one of our kitties and she is beautiful and would make any pickguard clash! -- Darwin

i think the tortie cat would go with the tortie pick guard.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Magic looks great alongside anything. Now I haven't given up on this pickguard Louis. I have another secret weapon on order that may push it over the goal line. Only problem is that I hope I remember what its for when it finally arrives. I have been buying on e-bay for years and when I buy, it is a quick deal. I pushed the buy button, paid the bill and was floored when I got the shipping information. !0-20 business days. This magic weapon is coming on a slow boat from China! :shocked003: Oh well, I will survive but I hadn't experienced that before. I will give it a 5 star on shipping if it even arrives. -- Darwin

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:19 pm

I am a fan of the tortie, not to mention if you ever want to unload that bass I may be interested. Right up my alley even though I am looking for a 6 bang nowadays. I love a good Stingray though. Prefer the Single H models (as they have some cool switching), but that is irrelevant overall.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:30 pm

I was shocked when the parts I had ordered less than a week ago showed up in the mail yesterday as they were shipped from China. I was also impressed with the quality of the knobs and chroming. This was truly an E-bay experience and a good one. They really look nice. I installed them on the bass and this is a look that I like. Here is a final picture. Sirmy, this is a fine bass and definitely a keeper. Thanks-- Darwin

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Looks great Darwin.