How I spent my sunday: a tale of caution

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:45 pm

This morning, in trying to post a picture as a response to a post, I noticed that the gallery associated with my .me account had become a little annoying and was presenting me with a login dialog. In trying to diagnose how this change of behavior came about I noticed that one of my albums had been completely scrambled . I had arranged the images such that it was easy to find pictures associated with on eof my instruments and/or amps. I figured out that the dialog was associated with me restricting an album to be only visible to me; something that previously did not affect inclusion of links in posts. Then I made the great guffa, unintentional as it truns out because I had no idea what happened was about to happen, to sync the album in iPhoto with my album out on the .me server.

Bad idea!! :confused0007:

Turned out that album was not very much in sync with the one out on the' interwebs', resulting in the practical (irreversable) disappearance of the whole album :o Shucks (auto supplies) :thumbdown:

Not that I lost pictures; I still have them all in none shared albums and on backups. But it practically broke links for most of the pictures I ever posted. And any viewer might still get an annoying login window with a request to login to my website only to try to retrieve a picture from an extinct album. Oh well. So I spent this Sunday trying to fix as many as I could in a day. It will take a while to touch them all but if there is a page that presents you one of the login windows, please let me know by PM and I will bump that one up in priority.

Hope that others can learn from my experience and had a better Sunday than me.

- Jos

Re: How I spent my sunday: a tale of caution

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:02 am

Hi Jos,

I too have a mobile .me account, and posted pictures here and there. But I'm afraid they will all be lost in future, because apple is discontinuing the mobile.me service.
It will be transformed to iCloud, but iWeb Publishing, Gallery and iDisk will not be available anymore.
Wouldn't it be a good idea if GbL could host those images, instead of all these online services? That way the images will be a part of GbL, and they will not disappear when services stop. All of these pictures are a great value for this discussion page.

Ivo

Re: How I spent my sunday: a tale of caution

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:19 am

Hi Ivo,

Yeah I'm pretty miffed about the changes for .me, and especially the gallery and the web site hosting disappearing which is all I was using. That was so easy and convenient. I'm not too worried about my website; it should be easy enough to host that on GoDaddy.com with whom I have registered my domains. Pictures are a different story although maybe Photo Stream for Mac is sufficient. On the other hand, a picture is also a 'document', although it seems that the new iCloud document is more tailored towards the traditional documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. In any case, wherever the pictures are going to be hosted in the future, I guess I have to do the exercise again.

Or give up, admit defeat, and roll over ... :happy0007:

- Jos

P.S. You should register your Junior II in the Registry. ;)