a new pup for a strat

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:02 pm

this is another fralin steelpole 43 bridge pup, like the one i put in my bluesboy, but for one of the strats. my am standard with the fralin real 54's in it. the bridge pup is just not a good match in that set. the neck and middle pups are awesome. the bridge is too bright and not loud enough. to balance the output between the pups, i had to have the bridge pup really close to the strings and the neck pup lower than the pick guard. and leave the tone control rolled back to 5 for the bridge. this is really the case for most strat sets imnsho. they make the bridge pup about 3-5% hotter in "calibrated sets". not nearly enough. i have one set now with 5k/5.3k/8k pups and that is better. another with 4.9k/5.2k/9.2k. even better, almost there. this set is 6k/6k/10k, but the neck and middle pups have alnico III magnets, so the difference is even bigger. 30-35% hotter. it is now actually "calibrated. this is basically a p90 pup in a strat pup body. works brilliant. tone control is left open. the bridge/middle position quack is ridiculous. i am a very happy camper.