Technique question: tips wanted

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:20 pm

I have a question on some technique I struggle with and wondered what tips you all might have.

I'm learning a blues piece (A-minor pentatonic / blues scale) - the standard shape but in the high-fret position (up at fret 17 and above). I have problems with flexibility when I play in the high-fret region (fret 17 and above). I try to stick to the one finger covering one fret rule - but my hand often ends up in a contorted shape and this impacts on my ability to play smooth when i am trying to play fast and doing lots of bends etc. I've gotten better - but still pretty crap. I often call myself "Tommy Dickfingers" and that should give you an idea of the mechanics of my hand :happy0007:

Now, if I hop into Clapton mode and only use three fingers i do much better - so I am at a crossroads of (i) continue practising the superior technique and use all fingers and just stick it out or (ii) just use three fingers and the third finger to cover both the last two high frets and crack on as its easier and more enjoyable at the moment. I'm not looking for technical excellence - just wanting to avoid getting into a habit I might regret later.

Any tips on playing in high neck positions? Generic hand position? I also play sitting down most of the time - swapping the leg the guitar sits on can help a little bit but its as if my hand shape restricts my finger movement when i try to do it properly.

It could just be a flexibility thing and it may well pass.....bet hey....

PS - I've only been playing a few years, dont get to practice everyday (I'm 40 years old - have demanding job) - so I am never going to be a shredder. I nearly always have my thumb over the top of the neck and do not play in a very "technically correct" manner - but then few do.

Am I just getting bogged down here in a tangent and should I just play what comes natural (which would be the technically inferior approach)?

Re: Technique question: tips wanted

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:25 pm

when i get to Aflat or above i switch to 3 fingers when playin pentatonics. still need all 4 if playing diatonic, although i can do that with 3 up there as well. for legato runs especially i'll use 3 fingers.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:33 pm

I've gone through a similar path as you did. I have always used my pinky in fingering chord shapes up and down the neck, but it was only about a dozen years ago that I tried working on doing the one-fret-per-finger routine for playing solos and learning to use my pinky. After a time I realized that it was only necessary to do that some times so now I go between using 3 or 4 fingers depending what I find necessary when I play a series of notes (similar to Louis' comment).

As far as not always using the pinky "would be the technically inferior approach"? How is it technically inferior as long as you can play what you want, since nobody can hear which finger you are using? My approach is, whatever works, including using my pinky.

Actually a technique that I do find useful is to learn to play clean notes while applying minamal fretting hand pressure. This improves my fretting hand agility and reduces fatigue.

Kit

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Kit wrote:I've gone through a similar path as you did. I have always used my pinky in fingering chord shapes up and down the neck, but it was only about a dozen years ago that I tried working on doing the one-fret-per-finger routine for playing solos and learning to use my pinky. After a time I realized that it was only necessary to do that some times so now I go between using 3 or 4 fingers depending what I find necessary when I play a series of notes (similar to Louis' comment).

As far as not always using the pinky "would be the technically inferior approach"? How is it technically inferior as long as you can play what you want, since nobody can hear which finger you are using? My approach is, whatever works, including using my pinky.

Actually a technique that I do find useful is to learn to play clean notes while applying minamal fretting hand pressure. This improves my fretting hand agility and reduces fatigue.

Kit

that should be a given, never apply more pressure than the absolute minimum required the maintain the fretted note. i think 95%+ players use too much fretting hand pressure. the trick is to not increase left hand pressure when playing harder with the picking hand.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:51 pm

That high up all I worry about is hitting the right note. I use my pinky up there without thinking. Your grip will most likely change as the big hunk of wood that is the body gets in the way. Practice, practice, practice!

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:14 pm

Wait just a dog-gone minnit!

Now hold on...yer tellin' me it's LEGAL to use more than one finger? Now you tell me!

I never thought a that! :shocked028:

Man, I LOVE you guys!

Bill

;)

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:39 am

Boogie Bill wrote:Wait just a dog-gone minnit!

Now hold on...yer tellin' me it's LEGAL to use more than one finger? Now you tell me!

I never thought a that! :shocked028:

Man, I LOVE you guys!

Bill

;)

Guess so. Django used no more than 2, so I assume that is the proper upper limit ;)

- Jos

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Whatever works as long as it works is fine in some instances but the idea behind using the best fingering is so you can do other things more easily which bad fingering might interfere with.

Technically inferior fingering could also be referred to as technically limiting fingering.

A superior technique sets up conditions with the greatest advantage for playing.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:35 pm

Michael-GnL-Michael wrote:.

Whatever works as long as it works is fine in some instances but the idea behind using the best fingering is so you can do other things more easily which bad fingering might interfere with.

Technically inferior fingering could also be referred to as technically limiting fingering.

A superior technique sets up conditions with the greatest advantage for playing.

very well said.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:03 pm

Kit wrote:I've gone through a similar path as you did. I have always used my pinky in fingering chord shapes up and down the neck, but it was only about a dozen years ago that I tried working on doing the one-fret-per-finger routine for playing solos and learning to use my pinky. After a time I realized that it was only necessary to do that some times so now I go between using 3 or 4 fingers depending what I find necessary when I play a series of notes (similar to Louis' comment).

Cheers man. Nice to know I'm not on my own. My problem is i sometimes get mentally paralayzed by the possibilities (3 fingers / 4 fingers????) instead of training / practiising consistent moves - though if the context changes i guess you just need to have a response for it.

Kit

That's a very useful thought - thank you. I am sure I use too much pressure and this increases if i know i struggle with certain chord changes or solo progressions. i certainly need to practice more and this is something i have been neglecting.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:07 pm

louis cyfer wrote:that should be a given, never apply more pressure than the absolute minimum required the maintain the fretted note. i think 95%+ players use too much fretting hand pressure. the trick is to not increase left hand pressure when playing harder with the picking hand.

Actually, if it was a given - you would not get 95% of people doing it - trust me I think its an important point and one I have not been paying attention to.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:08 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:That high up all I worry about is hitting the right note. I use my pinky up there without thinking. Your grip will most likely change as the big hunk of wood that is the body gets in the way. Practice, practice, practice!

Yeah man, grip and posture can change....which is something i need to deal with more. And yes.....more practice!

Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Pentatonics tend to work very well with only 3 fingers, or playing 2 notes per string I tend to gravitate towards 1st and 3rd fingers. Gotta do what is comfortable everytime. Those small frets are also tiny, it really depends what you are doing, how in the way the lower bout is, and 30 other factors.

To make stretching your hands easier, and less painful, be sure to play in classical position (left leg), not right leg. You can get a lot more done there, as wrist angles are much better. Also translates fantastic to standing. Good luck Dr B.

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Dr B wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:that should be a given, never apply more pressure than the absolute minimum required the maintain the fretted note. i think 95%+ players use too much fretting hand pressure. the trick is to not increase left hand pressure when playing harder with the picking hand.

Actually, if it was a given - you would not get 95% of people doing it - trust me I think its an important point and one I have not been paying attention to.

it is not a given. it should be.