Any attenuator recommendations?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:40 am

I've been to a lot of LOUD concerts in my day, and frequently suffer from tinitis (ringing in my ears). :shocked028: Lately, I've really had to watch my volume playing at home but it's not too much fun playing with the volume at 2 all the time. I was thinking of buying a small low-watt combo for home use, but I really like my Rivera. So, I'm thinking of picking up an attenuator (Dr. Brake Lite, Swart Night Light, etc...). Anybody have any experience with one of these?

Re: Any attenuator recommendations?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:42 am

I'm using this one:

http://ultimateattenuator.com/

You can really play at bedroom level, and sound great. It's not the cheapest solution I'm afraid, but I'm very happy with it.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:40 am

tube cube.

works really well, it is based on a transformer, not the resistor based like most of them, and the ultimate atternuator is a reamplifier. works great but very expensive. i have tried many, and the tube cube has worked the best so far for me.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:58 pm

I use the Swart Night Light at the moment. I've used several attenuators in the past, DrZ Brakelite, Marshall SE-100, but the Swart does the attenuation really well, and, has a cool purple light show as well. In addition, it has a tap on it so you can plug that tone into another amp or run it into a PA or a recorder. It adds a lot of versatility.

The Swart Night Light would be my recommendation.

RickT

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:38 pm

I have been using THD Hot Plates in my big rig to tame the 2 x 90W output at cranked volumes. Works great, at least for me.

- Jos

Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for a deal on one of these - don't want to spend too much money on not being loud. ;)

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Power scale your amp.
http://www.londonpower.com/pscaling.htm