Any Gretsch Owners out there?

Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:11 pm

The reason I ask is that I brought home a Power Jet with a Bigsby yesterday. I went to Fat Sound, just to look around and maybe shop for a new pedal. I didn't see anything that caught my eye but I did notice a black Gretsch Power Jet on the wall with this big honking Bigsby vibrato. They took it off the wall for me to try, and I was truly impressed with the tone, feel, and build quality of this guitar. I brought it home and have been playing it for most of the day today.

RickT

Re: Any Gretsch Owners out there?

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Rick, I am a proud Gretsch owner. I have a 6121, a 59 LP size Chet Atkins model and a 6122 58 Country Gentleman. Both have Bigsbys and are hard to put down once picked up and they are phenomenal. No one can emulate the Gretsch sound. The workmanship is second to none and congrats Rick. You have scored a keeper and a beauty it is..-- Darwin

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:06 pm

I love Gretsch's, and that is one sweet looking Gretsch - congratulations! One of the best guitars I ever played was a big Gretsch with TV Jones pickups in it but they're REALLY expensive over here. I agree with the quality and IMO the Japanese make instruments on par with G&Ls

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:55 pm

Blarg, they are expensive here! Rick my 6121 Nashville is the same size and body as your Power Jet. Here is a pic of mine.-- Darwin

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:42 am

I have a White Falcon with TV Jones pups. It's a player all right. And yes, I love the Gretsch tone.

edg

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:32 pm

Nice guitar Ed! I would like to get a Country Club in Cadillac Green with a Bigsby.I noticed that the BB Bros have one on their website.-- Darwin

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Good score Rick.

You'll be copping George Harrison licks with your new GreTsch.

jamie

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:26 am

I guess I will join the Gretsch owners club.

My wife and I went to dinner last Friday. There is a mega pawn shop near where we were at. We stopped I was hoping she would find something for Christmas in the Jewelry department.
There was a Gretsch on the wall. Gold solid body. I didn't look at it and we left.
The next day my wife went shopping she came home with the Gretsch.
She went to the pawn shop and made a deal on it . She told me she knew it was a good guitar at first look. My wife knows I have wanted a Gretsch for a while
That's my Christmas present.
Its a 5238 Electromatic Pro Jet made in 2005 MIC. The QC is really good. It has mini-Gretschbuckers that people like to trash because they don't have the pure Gretsch sound. IMO the pickups sound somewhere between a Gretsch and a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe with mini-buckers. I like the tone.
Plays great! smooth action.
The big catch is I played it last weekend restrung it cleaned it up.My wife put strict orders "do not play it anymore till X-mas".
That's killing me!!!

I guess a guy name Chet and plays the guitar should own a Gretsch sometime it there life.
Here's a Photobucket album of some so-so pics I made.
http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/cmguitar1/

Chet

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Here is mine. A Gretsch Electromatic Corvette. I can't remember when I last played it. The build quality is quite good and I really like the neck. I don't like the bigsby though, and will put in a stopbar one of these days if I keep it.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 pm

I am not a Bigsby guy either. I am glad I don't have one on my Pro Jet.
She stays in tune real good. In fact my Strat and all my S-type guitars have the tremolo blocked. Except my Legacy.

Chet

Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Nice one. My all time fav Gretsch is the 6120. When set up correctly, the sound is simply awesome.