Lefty Larrivee Love

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:23 pm

Some pics of my Oxnard California built Larrivee RS4 Monterey

Definitely not one for the traditionalists, it lies somewhere between a Les Paul and an SG and weighs between 6 and 7 lbs.

It hangs on the strap like an SG, mainly due to the rear contour, aka belly cut.

The scale length is 25 1/2" which is unusual for a set neck double humbucker guitar of this style. The body is a single piece of mahogany with a maple cap, the neck is also a single piece mahogany. Fingerboard is indian rosewood and the inlays are a combination of mother of pearl and abalone, a very nice touch. Bridge and tailpiece are Tonepros and pots are CTS Super-Pots. From the factory they use Larrivees own pickups, I bought this one used and it has Tom Short Tombuckers installed.

Top notch quality all the way.

Re: Lefty Larrivee Love

Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Thats another really nice guitar. How does it compare to that Heritage Black Beauty?

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:42 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote:Thats another really nice guitar. How does it compare to that Heritage Black Beauty?

Thanks,
They're different animals, like I mentioned the Larrivee feels and sounds more like an SG, with maybe a bit more depth to the tone. The Heritage kills for rock or blues, it's great for solid crunchy tones, and the sustain is fantastic.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 pm

:luv: :luv: :luv:

I'd learn to play the other way around to own one of those. It's a beautiful axe. I own a Larrivee acoustic, which I love, and I have bad GAS for an RS-2 or RS-4.

How do you find the neck shape and fretboard radius? I hear it's VERY flat, like 17" or something. My acoustic neck feels chunky, especially compared to a G&L #1 neck, but it's actually very comfortable.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Okay SouthpawGuy, you have done it! I have been waiting for someone like you. The Larrivee is totally stunning and appears to be in pristine condition. I have had Ginny out here viewing your last two acquisitions. I said, "look at what this guy is buying". I continued with "why can't I buy like that"? I now have her thinking that I am a pretty slow, reasonable dude by comparison. I made a few buck gigging in July and I can feel it heating up in my pocket. My guess is that Molly gave full approval and these are some rare finds that you have come up with in the last week. Keep it up!!! Life is good!-- Darwin :banana: :banana: :banana:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:26 am

Philby wrote::luv: :luv: :luv:

I'd learn to play the other way around to own one of those. It's a beautiful axe. I own a Larrivee acoustic, which I love, and I have bad GAS for an RS-2 or RS-4.

How do you find the neck shape and fretboard radius? I hear it's VERY flat, like 17" or something. My acoustic neck feels chunky, especially compared to a G&L #1 neck, but it's actually very comfortable.

It certainly is a beauty ! The neck does feel similar to Larrivee acoustics, if you're familiar with those the RS4 will be in the same ballpark. If you're coming from a 7 1/2" radius guitar it might take a bit of getting used to. The compound radius is subtle, in practice after a few minutes play time it becomes the norm.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:40 am

darwinohm wrote:Okay SouthpawGuy, you have done it! I have been waiting for someone like you. The Larrivee is totally stunning and appears to be in pristine condition. I have had Ginny out here viewing your last two acquisitions. I said, "look at what this guy is buying". I continued with "why can't I buy like that"? I now have her thinking that I am a pretty slow, reasonable dude by comparison. I made a few buck gigging in July and I can feel it heating up in my pocket. My guess is that Molly gave full approval and these are some rare finds that you have come up with in the last week. Keep it up!!! Life is good!-- Darwin :banana: :banana: :banana:

The previous owner actually had four lefty RS4s ! He was selling this one and as the chances of another used lefty one appearing any time soon were as rare as hens teeth at a dentists convention I had to go for it. I actually have this one maybe six months now, but I only got the camera out yesterday to take a few photos of it. There are a few manufacturers making some very interesting guitars in left hand these days, I'd like to try a Taylor solid body some day, again a used lefty one would be rare but I might strike lucky. Carvin are also making some really nice guitars, I snagged a nice lefty one a while back, I just need to take some decent photos of it.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:08 am

unbelievable. congrats. The bottom of the neck looks really wide.

I guess you'll have to buy a warehouse now, since you must be out of room in the house, :^))

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:37 am

astutzmann wrote:unbelievable. congrats. The bottom of the neck looks really wide.

I guess you'll have to buy a warehouse now, since you must be out of room in the house, :^))

Hi Alf, the body is relatively small, possibly making the neck look wider at the heel ?

As for a warehouse, I might just go vertical, invest in a couple of bunk beds and fill them up with guitars :thumbup: :mrgreen:

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:14 am

Beautiful guitar dude. I didn't know Larivee made electrics. The guy I jam with has a 6 and 12 bang acoustic, very nice guitars.

Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:51 pm

That is really a beautiful thing.

The economy must be much better on your side of the pond, Southpaw.

Did you discuss with the seller why he swapped the pickups? What are the ones in there now like? Compared to the original ones?
I've never experienced either of them.

Congratulations! Woo-hoo! - ed

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:17 pm

zapcosongs wrote:That is really a beautiful thing.

The economy must be much better on your side of the pond, Southpaw.

Did you discuss with the seller why he swapped the pickups? What are the ones in there now like? Compared to the original ones?
I've never experienced either of them.

Congratulations! Woo-hoo! - ed

Hi Ed,

Economy, what economy ? I didn't think we still had one !!! :mrgreen:

The seller had four lefty RS4s, and was going for a new guitar I think, so for once I was in the right place at the right time. As for the pickups some guys change pickups as often as they change their socks. The Larrivee pickups are supposed to be very good, they've only been making the RS4 since 2008 and they've had several version of pickups now, maybe they were an unknown quantity and a change was deemed necessary ?

The Tom Short pickups are really good, these are the only ones I've played. They sound very musical both clean and overdriven, and there is no mismatch between the neck or bridge when clean or overdriven. That I find to be not the norm, usually when the sound is good clean the bridge can be a bit harsh compared to the neck when overdriven, not with these, they stay sweet.

I actually got another set for installing in a different guitar, I just need to decide which is going to be the victim :shocked003: