Black Beauty

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:55 am

Received this one last week, a lefty 2003 Heritage 157.

I don't usually care for black guitars, but one word sums this one up ....

Smokin' !!!

Re: Black Beauty

Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:47 pm

Looks like the previous owner took good care of it. 8-)

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:08 pm

5 layer binding eh? nice.

Fingerprints aside I am sure it is excellent calibre, Heritage are something for sure

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:45 pm

SouthPaw, this is adorable, in fact almost too nice to use. What are the odds of finding another lefty like that. Heritage took over where Gibson left off.--Darwin :happy0065:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:11 pm

absolutely smoking

wow and congrats!!!

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:32 pm

darwinohm wrote:SouthPaw, this is adorable, in fact almost too nice to use. What are the odds of finding another lefty like that. Heritage took over where Gibson left off.--Darwin :happy0065:

I think you have gone a little delirious Darwin, no guitar is too nice too use, or it isn't a guitar anymore :lol:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Sirmy, there are a lot of other words to describe me including delirious. I have my Mary Kaye in a display case. I have checked the setup several times and played it a moment. It is art in its' finest. I have others that are also coveted. They will remain pristine until I no longer look at them. Certain things are sacred and I have many others to play. Some are just there to look at and that Heritage of SouthPaws could be one of those. My guess is that it may never see a gig but I could be wrong. I would have Ginny believing it is a sacred cow and I would have to look for another Heritage to play!! My story and I'm still sticking to it.-- Darwin :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:14 pm

darwinohm wrote:Sirmy, there are a lot of other words to describe me including delirious. I have my Mary Kaye in a display case. I have checked the setup several times and played it a moment. It is art in its' finest. I have others that are also coveted. They will remain pristine until I no longer look at them. Certain things are sacred and I have many others to play. Some are just there to look at and that Heritage of SouthPaws could be one of those. My guess is that it may never see a gig but I could be wrong. I would have Ginny believing it is a sacred cow and I would have to look for another Heritage to play!! My story and I'm still sticking to it.-- Darwin :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just died inside, that poor guitar. :happy0007:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:05 am

Lefty wrote:Looks like the previous owner took good care of it. 8-)

Supposedly the previous owner only ever played it in church, which I can believe, for a 2003 guitar it's basically minty.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:13 am

darwinohm wrote:SouthPaw, this is adorable, in fact almost too nice to use. What are the odds of finding another lefty like that. Heritage took over where Gibson left off.--Darwin :happy0065:

Thanks Darwin.

Heritage, like G&L, certainly do know how to make them. I've only seen a couple of other lefty 157s for sale in the last three or four years, so when this one popped up I just had to go for it. ( That's my story and I'm sticking to it ! ). As I mentioned I don't usually go for black guitars at all, but when I opened the case on this one it was a real "wow" moment, I was very glad I did. Some guitars are like that, almost too nice to use, I think this one will avoid that category by a large margin.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:22 am

astutzmann wrote:absolutely smoking

wow and congrats!!!

Smokin' for sure Alf !

Something about the black with gold, it looks refined but nasty at the same time.

It weighs in at 9.4lbs, not too bad for a guitar of this type. My '90 Les Paul Std is 10lbs and that one is most likely chambered or weight relieved etc. The Heritage is done the "old fashioned way" and comes in lighter on the scale. The pickups are either Schallers or HRWS, I'm thinking HRWs, I have a set of Seth Lovers for it, but I'm going to leave it a while as it sounds good as it is.

So any news of your own acquisition then ?

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:19 am

well, the h-150cm is mine, sitting in sarasota, florida at Jerry's.

I could have him ship it to me and get it next week, but I have decided that I will wait (ugh, hard to do) until October for it as I will be going to florida then. That way I save on shipping and also not have to pay the $350 import taxes to canada.

SO, tough wait, but I'll do it. In the mean time, just play my special :D

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:50 am

astutzmann wrote:well, the h-150cm is mine, sitting in sarasota, florida at Jerry's.

I could have him ship it to me and get it next week, but I have decided that I will wait (ugh, hard to do) until October for it as I will be going to florida then. That way I save on shipping and also not have to pay the $350 import taxes to canada.

SO, tough wait, but I'll do it. In the mean time, just play my special :D

A three month wait for that beauty ! As they say here in Ireland, you must have the patience of a saint.

So what other Heritage are you going to buy while you're waiting ?

:mrgreen:

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:28 am

Wow! That is just incredible looking! I have to point out the special touch of the black pickup select switch tip.

I have a Heritage H535 myself, but it is just an ordinary sunset burst variety. I love it though.

My own black beauty is this one:

Kit

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:33 am

Kit wrote:Wow! That is just incredible looking! I have to point out the special touch of the black pickup select switch tip.

I have a Heritage H535 myself, but it is just an ordinary sunset burst variety. I love it though.

My own black beauty is this one:

Kit

Thanks, it is a looker.

I like the Yamaha SG or is that SBG in the US ? I've always wanted one of those, quite a few bands were using them when I started playing guitar.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:55 am

any more guitar purchases at this point could become very very expensive as it would lead to divorce court!

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:09 am

SouthpawGuy wrote:I like the Yamaha SG or is that SBG in the US ? I've always wanted one of those, quite a few bands were using them when I started playing guitar.

My SG1500 was acquired in 1976 shortly after the SG guitars were introduced. The 2 models available then were the SG2000 with fancy inlay and gold hardware, and the SG1500 with dot inlay and chrome hardware. I like my guitars more subdued looking and I don't like how gold tend to tarnish so I bought the SG1500. These original series do not have the coil split capability that came a few years later. These are impeccably built and sound superb. Of the 7 electrics that I own the SG is my favorite.

Kit

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:37 pm

The Black Beauty is one of my dream guitars. Congrats on a very fine purchase. I'm green with envy :)