Glen Campbell

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:15 pm

Glen Campbell has started a farewell tour soon after announcing that he is suffering from Alzheimer's disease. Here's a photo of him from last night playing his Comanche.

Here's an excerpt from an Associated Press story: "It was classic Glen Campbell. Alzheimer’s disease may have changed a lot of things in the Country Music Hall of Famer’s life, but his ability to create sounds that still resonate in our shared memory with his blue G&L Comanche on By the Time I Get to Phoenix or his Hamer 12-string on Southern Nights is virtually untouched."

I've always thought Glen has been a great player. I'd love to see him this time around.

Re: Glan Campbell

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:28 pm

I dig it! Ovations are great guitars! I like the color too.

Cheers,

Will

* Edit: That is a great picture. The G&L up front and the Ovation behind... I just grabbed two tickets for his December 8th show in Wausau, WI. Floor B, row P! I've never been to the Grand Theatre before. If anyone else is going, we should meet-up for a drink...
Last edited by willross on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Glen Campbell

Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Don't forget this man was hired on short notice to replace Brian Wilson in the Beach Boys on tours...

Remember the days when AM radio would play this, followed by anything else in the top 40?
In his time, Glen Campbell was pretty much everywhere, if you had a TV or radio, he was on it.
Had no clue he was a G&L player, and sad to hear the news...

[youtube]QTfwcLdP5Xk[/youtube]

Re: Glan Campbell

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:32 pm

willross wrote:I just grabbed two tickets for his December 8th show in Wausau, WI. Floor B, row P! I've never been to the Grand Theatre before. If anyone else is going, we should meet-up for a drink...

Will, when it gets closer to the concert, be sure to send me a PM, for I can likely meet up with you for a drink in Wausau. There are some decent clubs that run live music near the theatre, too. You'll love the Grand Theatre; it's a great venue and well worth the drive from MPLS.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:50 am

Jim, will do. Can't wait!

Cheers,

Will

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:08 pm

A lot more than the Beach Boys. Amazing career he had long before he started hitting the substances hard...played with some classic session guys including Leon Russell, played on many of Spector's "wall of sound" hits. Played in the group that recorded the classic "Tequila" if I recall correctly. Then his TV show.

Came across this the other day, recent recording of a classic old Jackson Browne tune. I have no idea whether it was recorded after he knew or not, either way the lyrics are incredibly haunting now....

[youtube]fBexPuk-qK8[/youtube]

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:30 am

bluwoodsman wrote:I have no idea whether it was recorded after he knew or not, either way the lyrics are incredibly haunting now....

Great song.

It's on the 2008 recording "Meet Glen Campbell":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_Glen_Campbell