Who's an idiot?... ME!!!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:34 am

I was up late last night practicing my band's new cover songs, switching from my acoustic to electric guitar 'n vice versa..... ANYWAY... when I woke up the next morning I found that I had left my (tube) amp on 'standby' :?

Comments... suggestions... namecalling?!...

Re: Who's an idiot?... ME!!!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:45 am

No damage, all standby does is keep the fillament voltage on for the tubes to keep them warm. At least they did not get cold during the night!!-- Darwin

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:01 am

That's no big deal dude, it'll be fine. One of my buddies went to Europe for a month and left his 'on.' How he did that I dunno, but it was bad

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:31 pm

It should be okay... I did the same thing 2 months ago & panicked as well. (I even had the cover over the amp.) For some weird reason, I swear it sounded sweeter afterwards (perhaps it burned something in to some kind of sweet spot.) I left it off for 24 hours though before I fired it up again. (just to give it a break)

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:33 pm

There is a great article written by Hartley Peavey on this matter. Here's a link to it. Be afraid. Be very afraid!

There's a whole series of his incredibly insightful papers here. They're a great read for anyone seriously into their gear!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:59 pm

My Theory:

Leo Fender made guitar amp with StandBy switches. The way it was used in a Fender amp is flawed. When the Tubes were on StandBY, the voltage and current added extra load to the large capacitors. Which is easier and cheaper to replace? Tubes or broken large caps that probably destroyed a bunch of resistors along the way?

Every large amp manufacturer copied Leo Fender's idea of a StandBy. Guitar amp's don't need them. Just turn them off.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:00 pm

IrritatedViking wrote:I was up late last night practicing my band's new cover songs, switching from my acoustic to electric guitar 'n vice versa..... ANYWAY... when I woke up the next morning I found that I had left my (tube) amp on 'standby' :?

Comments... suggestions... namecalling?!...

Depends on the design of the amp, there are many ways to put a StandBy in the circuit. Which amp was it?

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:43 pm

meowmix wrote:Guitar amp's don't need them.

Decided not true. The thermal shock on glass and internal components by putting the HV on the grid with a 'cold' start is detrimental to the life time of the tube. Putting your amp in 'Standby' when you power on the amp helps you there by pre-heating the components in a more gentle way. Beyond that it is not of much relevance indeed and you can turn off the amp by just toggling the power switch. But by first switching to Standby, you'll just be prepared when you turn on the amp next time.

- Jos

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:21 pm

Ahhh!!! Okay guys thanks! :lol: I practiced for a few hours with my band tonight 'n my amp sounded normal... good sign!

I know this is a little off the subject, but I hear you're supposed to replace your tubes every once 'n awhile?... I just wanted to do so before Spring (gig season) hits... suggestions?

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:52 am

If your tubes are working then there's no need to replace them. It doesn't hurt to have spares, because when they fail, there's nothing you can do except plug another one in. Tube Depot sell tubes at good prices. I'm yet to do much experimenting with brands/quality/NOS tubes but these guys seem to have all of them. JJ's are supposedly a good all round brand at reasonable prices.

What amp is it that you're using anyway? Is there anything you'd like to get out of it with the tube swap (more/less gain)?

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:17 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:If your tubes are working then there's no need to replace them. It doesn't hurt to have spares, because when they fail, there's nothing you can do except plug another one in. Tube Depot sell tubes at good prices. I'm yet to do much experimenting with brands/quality/NOS tubes but these guys seem to have all of them. JJ's are supposedly a good all round brand at reasonable prices.

What amp is it that you're using anyway? Is there anything you'd like to get out of it with the tube swap (more/less gain)?

Ohh dang! I hope they don't kill over while I'm on stage :shock: I'll definitely check out Tube Depot 'n some JJ's! I'm using a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (40w 1x12") I didn't know tubes had effect on your gain!... The fact of the matter is that this is my first real amp (besides a buncha crap starter amps) And I'm in a whole new ball park with this tube stuff... Thanks, blargfromouterspace :greet:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:13 am

What? what did you do last night? are you drunk? to get over it? Have you tried to re-look?

Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:15 am

i'm soory double post :D