1959 Film of Original Fender Factory, need help with names

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:41 pm

We restored a 50 year old 8mm film for a Documentary about Leo Fender and are now trying to identify employees from that era. If you know any one that can help, please let us know. Everything was done by hand back then. Amazing footage.

The video entitled "Fender Factory Tour 1959" is on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nswcAPvH0P8

Re: 1959 Film of Original Fender Factory, need help with names

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:27 pm

Sorry I can't help with names, but that is amazing footage of how to build a vintage stratocaster. Thanks for sharing!

I've been involved in many occupational health and safety audits over the years and the thing that really struck me was the lack of health and safety infrastructure compared to today e.g. no air con (just a big fan near the entrance), no protective clothing or glasses, little protective shielding on the woodworking equipment, no extractor fan over the guy spraying nitrocellulose lacquer, really poor lighting over the girls winding pickups etc. etc.

Maybe Leo wouldn't have bothered starting up a factory in 2011!

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Wow, ...priceless

Thanks for the good work and for sharing !

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:52 am

I'm pretty sure the guy who's cutting out a strat body and neck (around the one minute mark into the film) is Fred Fullerton (George Fullerton's father). I recognize him from a photo on page 22 of George's book "Guitars from George and Leo".

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:13 am

I second the Fred Fullerton ID for the man running the bandsaw. I can't tell what type of body and necks he's cutting out, but he comes damn close to cutting his fingers as he works. He must have been one hell of a craftsman.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:15 am

yes I think this is an awesome record I'm buffers this video, quite a long time, because I have bad internet connection