Fender G DEC Junior?

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:09 pm

I love my Legacy and I also love my '86 Les Paul, but I get bored playing the electrics by myself so mostly, I grab my Taylor 410 and just do acoustic stuff. I have been thinking about getting a practice amp such as the Fender G-DEC Junior with the "rhythm section" built right in. Has anyone tried these things? They have a couple of higher priced models but I already have a good "regular" amp and the drum machine/rhythm of these G-DECs is intriguing. Just wondering....

Re: Fender G DEC Junior?

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:59 pm

I haven't tried it...they are putting drum machines in alot of the newer modeling effects,
that might be another (and smaller) option.
...wish I could help more,

cheers,
Elwood

I have one...

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:28 pm

I have an early G-Dec, not sure of the model, back when they made only one. Has an 8" speaker I think.

I got it because one of my neighbors bought one and I was impressed with the built-in rhythm section. In fact I wrote a song which was inspired by one of the rhythms.

The guitar sounds on the other hand don't appeal to me. You have to work to get a clean sound - too many metal sounds which I find useless.

I use mine now to power my drum machine. The amp has iPod inputs which is nice.

I keep it because I still like some of the rhythms.

My 2¢

Will Ray

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks everyone...Will Ray huh? I think you are a neighbor of mine in western NC...cool...love your unique playing styles!

Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:24 pm

I have been thinking about this as well. This is a little embarrassing, but I wrote a 'waltz' not long ago. I didn't notice until I played it for the bass player that my waltz was not at all a waltz, but was in straight 4/4. I had a goofy 1/4 1/8 1/8 1/4 1/8 1/8 measure going.

So couple that with the fact that I am getting limited at volume practice in, because of work and kids--I want to find a way to do some headphone/low volume practice. I was thinking the G-Dec might be an option, but I don't want to have to work with it a ton to get a clean sound....

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:52 pm

I don't to imply that it's that hard to get a good clean sound from the G-Dec, just that you don't have any readily available clean sounds out of the box. I believe once you work and find a nice clean sound, it'll save it.

The POD was the same way for me, and after working with it a while, I could get some great clean sounds from it. The G-Dec is harder, but not impossible to master.

Will Ray

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:14 pm

I , like Will, have an early model.I would also concur with Will that most of the pre-sets on it are way to dirty and useless.
I have a couple of em I do use (chicago stlyle is good, and Bakersfield also) .I like the backing track function for a quickie practice as it is easy to set and break.
I like the rythem section stuff and it does record but not for a full twelve bars.I think it cycles at the tenth bar? (which is kinda awkward)
The thing I have found most it the most useful for is for instructional usage as it allows two guitars to be plugged in at same time and makes for a quick set-up for lesons.
Plus, it allows the instructor to be in control of tones and volume.
Very useful for this!

The newer models have been upgraded and I believe the Sample/Record functions have been enhanced quite a bit.Plus, now able to make tones and download from fender on-line if i understand correctly.

Cheap enough that I didnt mind the lack of real tone.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:27 am

helle-man wrote:I don't to imply that it's that hard to get a good clean sound from the G-Dec, just that you don't have any readily available clean sounds out of the box. I believe once you work and find a nice clean sound, it'll save it.

The POD was the same way for me, and after working with it a while, I could get some great clean sounds from it. The G-Dec is harder, but not impossible to master.

Will Ray

vinnyk wrote:I , like Will, have an early model.I would also concur with Will that most of the pre-sets on it are way to dirty and useless.
I have a couple of em I do use (chicago stlyle is good, and Bakersfield also) .I like the backing track function for a quickie practice as it is easy to set and break.
I like the rythem section stuff and it does record but not for a full twelve bars.I think it cycles at the tenth bar? (which is kinda awkward)
The thing I have found most it the most useful for is for instructional usage as it allows two guitars to be plugged in at same time and makes for a quick set-up for lessons.
Plus, it allows the instructor to be in control of tones and volume.
Very useful for this!

The newer models have been upgraded and I believe the Sample/Record functions have been enhanced quite a bit.Plus, now able to make tones and download from fender on-line if i understand correctly.

Cheap enough that I didnt mind the lack of real tone.

Thanks for the info guys. I don't need great tone, just something that isn't a total buzz kill to get ideas down with and work on things in detail. I think I will pack up a guitar one of these days and head to my local shop and get the sales guy to give me an overview.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:26 am

I've never tried it, but I was interested to try it :D

Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:30 pm

sickbutnottired wrote:I have been thinking about this as well. This is a little embarrassing, but I wrote a 'waltz' not long ago. I didn't notice until I played it for the bass player that my waltz was not at all a waltz, but was in straight 4/4. I had a goofy 1/4 1/8 1/8 1/4 1/8 1/8 measure going.

So couple that with the fact that I am getting limited at volume practice in, because of work and kids--I want to find a way to do some headphone/low volume practice. I was thinking the G-Dec might be an option, but I don't want to have to work with it a ton to get a clean sound....

Sounds like fun, good thing you have a bass player, we are a helpful lot. No experience with the amps, but if you want good clean sounds I might know an amp or 2, hows the pockets doing :lol: . Supersonics are nice, this one might even be a great deal imo.
http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-SUPERSONIC-B ... 19c7344adc

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:48 pm

My 2 cents worth.... I just could not get happy with my G-DEC Jr. I found none of the sounds very good and some just totally worthless. Like you, I originally thought the rhythm and bass loops would be cool to practice with. Ended up selling it on CL for a small lo$$. Now I use a DigiTech JamMan Solo Compact Loop Pedal that has a built in rhythm track. If that's not enough rhythm for you, you might want to consider a simple drum machine like the Zoom MRT- they can be had pretty cheaply on eBay. Count on your existing amp for tone and add the accompaniment separately. You'll likely save money and enjoy the sound better too.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:09 am

LKJ wrote:My 2 cents worth.... I just could not get happy with my G-DEC Jr. I found none of the sounds very good and some just totally worthless. Like you, I originally thought the rhythm and bass loops would be cool to practice with. Ended up selling it on CL for a small lo$$. Now I use a DigiTech JamMan Solo Compact Loop Pedal that has a built in rhythm track. If that's not enough rhythm for you, you might want to consider a simple drum machine like the Zoom MRT- they can be had pretty cheaply on eBay. Count on your existing amp for tone and add the accompaniment separately. You'll likely save money and enjoy the sound better too.

I can echo LKJ's views on the G-DEC. I've got the next model up from the Junior. The old-style model, not the latest version. I haven't used it since I bought my Fender Blues Junior though, but still think I might find the rhythm accompaniments of some value. Maybe not. I'll probably end up selling it eventually. Pity. It had a lot of potential which I couldn't get out of it. I'm happy with the Fender Blues Junior though. It's stock. Unmodded, apart from a standby switch which I bought from BillM and fitted myself. I'll check out LKJ's recommendation for the DigiTech JamMan Solo Compact Loop Pedal.

Cheers. Bill

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:28 am

I have a GDEC Exec (the original GDEC, but encased in flamed maple...or something approximating maple). I used it with headphones as a practice amp for a while, but eventually grew tired of the two usable presets (I didn't have the patience or time to screw with it). Now my 9yo son uses it as his practice amp. He plays the snot out of it.

The best part about it was the headphone out. Second best was having some sort of rhythm track to jam along with. The 8" speaker is OK, but a lot of people upgraded them (there used to be a GDEC forum; maybe it's still active, dunno). Another trick was to stuff the cabinet with polyfil.