View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Solamente pickups??? 

Post Solamente pickups???
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Alnico bridge pickup in The Solamente versus the bridge pickup in the ASAT Classic Alnico bridge pickup? I read on the site that The Solamente has a specially designed pickup but it doesn't elaborate.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Post Re: Solamente pickups???
Astein2006 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Alnico bridge pickup in The Solamente versus the bridge pickup in the ASAT Classic Alnico bridge pickup? I read on the site that The Solamente has a specially designed pickup but it doesn't elaborate.

Someone else may have more info, but I think the bridge pickups on Solamente models may have a custom wind. This coupled to the 0.0033 mF cap in series with the pup, shifts the resonant peak to a more desirable range. I know that in designing the Solamente, Paul Gagon (the VP of engineering who designed the circuit) experimented with various cap values and winding combinations. I don't have any numbers but I'd suspect that the if the bridge pickup (whether Alnico or MFD) from a Solamente does have a custom wind, that means it will have a different impedance value than other pickups from similar guitars.

Not sure that helps much, but that's all I got.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:00 am
Profile WWW

Astein2006 wrote:

The DC-R readings for the bridge pickup on my Solamente Alnico, ASAT Classic Alnico, and ASAT Classic 'S' Alnico are all around 6.85kΩ. I don't think there is a fundamental difference between the pickups. However, the Solamente (Alnico) does have a special tone circuit since you'd still have the 3-way selector with pup without tone stack if pointing towards the bridge, involve the tone knob when in the center, and custom capacitor (I believe 330 nF or .00033μF) in parallel to the pickup when pointing towards the neck. This makes the Solamente (Alnico) its own, very distinct entity in the G&L line-up.

- Jos

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:57 pm
Profile WWW

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Astein2006 wrote:

The DC-R readings for the bridge pickup on my Solamente Alnico, ASAT Classic Alnico, and ASAT Classic 'S' Alnico are all around 6.85kΩ. I don't think there is a fundamental difference between the pickups. However, the Solamente (Alnico) does have a special tone circuit since you'd still have the 3-way selector with pup without tone stack if pointing towards the bridge, involve the tone knob when in the center, and custom capacitor (I believe 330 nF or .00033μF) in parallel to the pickup when pointing towards the neck. This makes the Solamente (Alnico) its own, very distinct entity in the G&L line-up.

- Jos

Just the person I want to talk to. Which is your favorite and why? I love the idea of a one pickup T style guitar ala the Esquire. But I want a G&L because I used to have one back in 1987 and foolishly traded it away. Was a huge regret. Now the time has come. I already have a Stratocaster and I want a T style and it has to be a G&L to replace my old one. I am really jonesing for the Solamente. Not only that it looks cool but I love the biting sound a bridge pickup gets. I play anything from Tom Petty to the Stones and the Beatles, plus my own originals. Can you tell me your feelings between the Solamente Alnico and ASAT Classic Alnico in terms of tone. I can't find one YT vid on the Solamente or even the ASAT Classic Alnico, not the Alnico S. also how do you feel about the 6 saddle ashtray style bridge in terms of how it affects tone and intonation capability. This of course is compared to the 3 saddle bridge. If you have experience with those. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:26 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:

- Jos

I don't know what I was thinking when I said that the cap was in series. Thanks for straightening that out.

I went back to re-read G&L's Solamente overview, and I'm surprised that the the pickup is so similar to others, given what Paul says about pairing the cap and a custom wound pickup in the design process:
Paul Gagon: Verbatim wrote:
We just wanted that 3rd position on the selector switch to be a very cool, usable tone, so we went with a single-stage resonant-peak shift. I've modified old Esquires that way for thirty-something years, so I knew exactly where I wanted to start. The difference is that for the Solamente, I could specify both the pickup winds and the cap value as pair[sic].

Later in the same article he writes:
Paul Gagon: Verbatim wrote:
The combination of this cap value and the custom-spec bridge pickup produces a sweet, throaty midrange voice that is sure to delight Leo fans everywhere.

I took that as indicative of a unique wind for the Solamente pup - which I would have expected to express itself in a unique multi-meter reading. Perhaps I am missing something?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:47 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
I can't find one YT vid on the Solamente or even the ASAT Classic Alnico, not the Alnico S.

The Classic S with the expander function should give you all the same tones as the Classic. Here is a review by Nick Jaffe, I think he always does a nice job with his demos.

phpBB [video]

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:20 am

Does anyone here have any preferences of the MFD vs the Alnico pickups? Especially in the bridge poistion?

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:21 am
Site Admin

Astein2006 wrote:

I checked with Spencer at the factory and he confirmed the Solamente pickups are the same as the AC and ACA bridge pickups.
See: http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38.

Hope this helps.
:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:34 am
Profile WWW

Craig wrote:
Astein2006 wrote:

I checked with Spencer at the factory and he confirmed the Solamente pickups are the same as the AC and ACA bridge pickups.

Hope this helps.

Craig - thanks for the clarity on that point. I think I was misreading Paul. He did say that in the design process he tested several wind/cap combinations, but when he speaks about the circuit that was actually implemented in the Solamente - he only mentions the cap value. I bet the circuits he designed with the paired cap/winds were the best - but just not feasible from the production perspective. Adding a non-standard capacitor cost pennies - adding a non standard custom wrap pickup (just to fine tune a resonant peak wave a wee bit more... well, that's not cost effective. Still - a part of me just likes the best solution even if it isn't cost effective.

Thanks again Craig.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:39 pm
Profile WWW

Craig wrote:
Astein2006 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Hey Craig thanks for the info. I'm a bit confused though because the G&L site says The Solamente model has a specially designed pickup. Or am I mis reading what it's saying....

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Astein2006 wrote:
Hey Craig thanks for the info. I'm a bit confused though because the G&L site says The Solamente model has a specially designed pickup. Or am I mis reading what it's saying....

I had the same confusion.

On the G&L site, in the marketing info for the Solamente - Paul Gagon, the engineer who designed the circuit for the third switch position, described the difference between similar work he had done on other projects and his work on the Solamente laying in the fact that he was able to specify as a pair, the cap value and a custom wind on the Solamente's pickup.

The confusion stems from why they include this in their marketing info, if it never made it into the final product.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:49 am
Profile WWW

DanDoulogos wrote:
Astein2006 wrote:

On the G&L site, in the marketing info for the Solamente - Paul Gagon, the engineer who designed the circuit for the third switch position, described the difference between similar work he had done on other projects and his work on the Solamente laying in the fact that he was able to specify as a pair, the cap value and a custom wind on the Solamente's pickup.

The confusion stems from why they include this in their marketing info, if it never made it into the final product.

Ok. I guess it's just a marketing oversight like you pointed out. I'm sure it still sounds fantastic. I can't find one sound source or video for the Solamente. Do you know of any?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:03 am

Astein2006 wrote:
Ok. I guess it's just a marketing oversight like you pointed out. I'm sure it still sounds fantastic. I can't find one sound source or video for the Solamente. Do you know of any?

I haven't seen/heard any clips. I expect it sounds a similar to ASAT Classic played in the Bridge only position.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

DanDoulogos wrote:
Astein2006 wrote:

When I get back from Chicago in a couple of days, I will check my notes from conversations with Paul about these pickups. I hope to be able to clarify this soon. I do remember that there were no spec write up when these models first came out and I updated the pickup list based upon my conversations with Paul before G&L added the Spec pages to the main website.

Stay tuned.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am
Profile WWW

Craig wrote:
DanDoulogos wrote:
Astein2006 wrote:

When I get back from Chicago in a couple of days, I will check my notes from conversations with Paul about these pickups. I hope to be able to clarify this soon. I do remember that there were no spec write up when these models first came out and I updated the pickup list based upon my conversations with Paul before G&L added the Spec pages to the main website.

Stay tuned.

Thank you! Will be interested to know if the Solamente pickup is exactly the same as the ASAT Classic

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:05 pm
Site Admin

Astein2006 wrote:
Craig wrote:
DanDoulogos wrote:
Astein2006 wrote:

Stay tuned.

Thank you! Will be interested to know if the Solamente pickup is exactly the same as the ASAT Classic

I already confirmed that with Spencer, see my previous post.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 pm
Profile WWW

Craig wrote:
Astein2006 wrote:
Craig wrote:
DanDoulogos wrote:
Astein2006 wrote:

Stay tuned.

I already confirmed that with Spencer, see my previous post.

Oh yes. Sorry got lost in the posts :(

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]