View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Lefty Legacy - any interest? 

Post Lefty Legacy - any interest?
All,

I have an option to acquire a lefty mid-90s Legacy. The serial # is G037706 - it's not registered here. The guitar is in decent shape: no dings I could see, but some "paint" marks in 3-4 places and the usual scratches. Otherwise, it appears to be in great shape.

The downside: there's no case and the pickups may have been replaced. The middle pickup is a Lace Sensor. The bridge and neck pickups are alnico with staggered pole pieces. Do G&L alnico pickups have staggered pole pieces? (All my G&Ls have MFD pickups.)

I came across this guitar yesterday and glossed over it because I'm not a lefty. After seeing a recent post here about a lefty NGD, I thought perhaps I could "flip" this guitar, so I went back to take a closer look.

I would have to sell the guitar for at least $900 to make it worth my while. What do you think? Any lefties out there, please weigh in. Of course, if there's any interest, I will go back and give it a thorough going-over and post photos. It's a "sparkly" black with a white pearloid pickguard, maple fretboard and locking tuners (with the hole in the top of the post).

Thanks!

Mike

Tue May 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Post Re: Lefty Legacy - any interest?
Just leave it for the lefties, you can buy and flip as many right handed guitars as you want but southpaws don't get bargains all that often.

Tue May 16, 2017 10:56 pm

My thinking was that there are ~ 12 lefty Legacies on eBay and Reverb as of today - ~ 8 are Tributes - and that this site seems to have a fair # of members with GAS and, honestly, they'll never find this guitar unless they live in Portland, Oregon. I haven't already bought the guitar and tried to sell it online because it's not a true G&L - it has at least one after-market pickup - and if I can't sell it here then I would have a difficult time selling it at all.

Finally, I would not be making much money off of flipping it after deducting for the value of my time in having to pack it up and ship it, and Paypal fees. There are lefty guitarists here and they might be interested in acquiring another G&L with the intention of making it a project guitar. These old G&Ls are hard to find and someone might be interested.

Mike

Wed May 17, 2017 12:40 am

The G&L Alnico pickups are not staggered. All three pickups have been changed. Walk away, you are not likely to get $900 for it.

Wed May 17, 2017 3:40 am

blargfromouterspace wrote:
Just leave it for the lefties, you can buy and flip as many right handed guitars as you want but southpaws don't get bargains all that often.

THIS THIS THIS!!! Please don't be one of those guys who tries to go all Hendrix by flipping a lefty. Righties literally have their pick of ANY guitar out there. We lefties don't have that luxury.

http://www.reddit.com/r/leftyguitarists

Wed May 17, 2017 3:37 pm
Profile WWW

I meant "flip" in the sense of "flipping" a house, that is, that I would turn around and sell it. I thought that since there are a number of lefties on this site, someone might be interested in a lefty Legacy, even if the pickups are not original.

Wed May 17, 2017 8:21 pm
Site Admin

This post does not belong in this Forum, it should have been posted in the Marketplace Forum.
However, it would not have been approved until you register this guitar and post photos of it.

I will be removing this thread on Friday, so make sure to review the forum rules before posting further:

Welcome! Read This First
New GbL Marketplace Guidelines

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Wed May 17, 2017 9:52 pm
Profile WWW

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not actually selling anything at this time. I have access to a lefty Legacy and before I try to sell it here I want to gauge whether there's any interest. I can't do that in the marketplace because it's not possible to post replies there.

Also, I can't register it here because I don't own it, nor do I have possession of it.

Wed May 17, 2017 11:02 pm

A legacy in that condition would most likely not sell for $900. Hell I bought a Bluesboy in excellent condition from Reverb for $700 with case. G&Ls just don't have that good of resale value compared to other brands.

I would probably post a few pics & leave contact info for the place selling it. Maybe one of us lefties would be interested in pursuing it from there.

http://www.reddit.com/r/leftyguitarists

Thu May 18, 2017 2:40 pm
Profile WWW

I second what Nubs had to say.

In situations like this, other forum members have posted the deal itself (in the PSA area) so that if anyone was interested in the deal, they could follow it up themselves.

Without intending to be a suck up, I do admire the way Craig handled this. I'm sure Mike wasn't so much trying to sell a guitar, as testing the waters - but functionally speaking, looking for someone willing to commit to buying a guitar from you, is close enough to trying to sell one that Craig made the right call. But instead of removing it abruptly, he gave a grace period and an explanation of why it would be removed.

Fri May 19, 2017 7:09 am
Profile WWW

It's not my guitar and I would have to buy it. I'm not willing to buy it if there's no market. I wouldn't be making much of a profit on it anyway, so my intentions had a "public service" component, in that I suspect that there aren't many lefty G&L in the aftermarket, no one not living in Portland, Oregon will have any chance of acquiring the gutar and there seem to be a fair number of lefties here. Also, the marketplace entries are "locked";, at least for me, so there's no possibility of having a discussion there.

Fri May 19, 2017 4:53 pm
Site Admin

themikeaustin wrote:
It's not my guitar and I would have to buy it. I'm not willing to buy it if there's no market. I wouldn't be making much of a profit on it anyway, so my intentions had a "public service" component, in that I suspect that there aren't many lefty G&L in the aftermarket, no one not living in Portland, Oregon will have any chance of acquiring the gutar and there seem to be a fair number of lefties here. Also, the marketplace entries are "locked";, at least for me, so there's no possibility of having a discussion there.

The reason Marketplace posts are locked is to require potential buyers and sellers to privately communicate either via PM or EM. Again, read the New GbL Marketplace Guidelines for this and other details.

themikeaustin wrote:
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not actually selling anything at this time. I have access to a lefty Legacy and before I try to sell it here I want to gauge whether there's any interest. I can't do that in the marketplace because it's not possible to post replies there.

Also, I can't register it here because I don't own it, nor do I have possession of it.

You do not have to own the instrument to register it in our G&L Registry.
From the Registry F.A.Q.:
Quote:
Do I have to actually own the Instrument to submit it?
No. On the Instrument submittal form there is a question that asks whether you own the Instrument - simply select "No", and the submittal will be added anonymously. Any G&L® Instruments are fair game as long as you can get a serial number and model. This includes Instruments you see on the Internet, at shops, at your cousin's friend's mother's house, whatever.

So, if you decide to post it in the Marketplace, please read and follow the GbL Marketplace Guidelines and then submit it as a PSA or Ad.

I have decided to lock this thread, instead of removing it.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sun May 21, 2017 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]