View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 ASAT classic replacement neck 

Post ASAT classic replacement neck
Hello,

I need to replace my ASAT classic neck because the truss rod doesn't turn anymore...

I would like to know if a telecaster-like neck (standard telecaster neck) would fit my G&L body.

Sorry I can't find the answer in the G&L official website

Thank you

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:38 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: ASAT classic replacement neck
It's my understanding that a Fender neck will not fit the G&L's neck pocket. Your best bet is to find a used one on Ebay, or other sales venue. The 3-bolt models are slightly narrower at the heal so you'll want to match 3-bolt to 3-bolt. Otherwise, the factory will replace the neck but it might be approaching the $500 mark at this point.
Has your guitar been looked at by a professional guitar tech? Perhaps there is something that can be done with the existing truss-rod. Note: One should always loosen the truss-rod nut a bit first, before attempting to remove bow by tightening. If the trussrod nut isn't frozen, or the truss-rod broken inside the neck somewhere, I'd put a lot of effort into making that neck work. Good luck.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:34 am

thanks for your quick answer ;)

I checked on ebay, but it's hard to find the exact model I want.
Fortunately I have a 4 bolt model.

I'm thinking about a warmoth neck, but i'm not sure it's gonna fit neither. I emailed them, now I'm waiting for an answer.
Wait and see...

And yes, a professionnel checked my guitar, he just confirmed my fears about my truss rod, which was frozen from the time I received the guitar.
(I custom ordered it, but I live in France, so maybe my asat didn't like the fly :cry: )

Unfortunately, I've tried everything with the truss rod...

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:30 pm
Profile WWW

How long have you had the guitar? How soon after you received the guitar did you try to adjust the truss-rod? I'm just curious. I mean, when one buys a used guitar, one usually tests the truss-rod for proper movement. However, with a new guitar, one might wait a bit longer, especially if the guitar comes nicely set up. Did you report it to G&L as soon as you ran into problems?
BTW: With the price of factory replaced necks what it is today, you'd probably be better off buying another used ASAT Classic and keep or sell the extra parts. That would get you a neck relatively quickly, and you could probably recoup a lot of the guitar's cost by selling the parts, especially in Europe, eh? You might even find you like the "parts" guitar better and decide to sell the one with the bad neck. Good luck.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:54 pm

This was a custom ordered.
I received my guitar in november 2008, but I didn't know very much about guitar adjustments at this time...
But I was suspecting the problem from the beginning, but I wasn't sure.
I brought it to first guitar pro but he didn't see the problem but I still wasn't satisfied by my guitar settings.
To sum up, I think the problem was present from the beginning but I realized it too late...
And I didn't send the warranty card...I regret it very much...I don't know how much the neck repair will cost!!

And about your last idea, why not, but I think It's gonna be difficult to sell a G&L body, even more in Europe (because there are very few G&L guitars in europe!)

I've contacted Warmoth : their neck don't fit G&L bodies, and they won't make me a special neck...
I'm waiting musickraft and G&L answers...

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

djyne wrote:
This was a custom ordered.
I received my guitar in november 2008, but I didn't know very much about guitar adjustments at this time...
But I was suspecting the problem from the beginning, but I wasn't sure.
I brought it to first guitar pro but he didn't see the problem but I still wasn't satisfied by my guitar settings.
To sum up, I think the problem was present from the beginning but I realized it too late...
And I didn't send the warranty card...I regret it very much...I don't know how much the neck repair will cost!!

And about your last idea, why not, but I think It's gonna be difficult to sell a G&L body, even more in Europe (because there are very few G&L guitars in europe!)

I've contacted Warmoth : their neck don't fit G&L bodies, and they won't make me a special neck...
I'm waiting musickraft and G&L answers...

If you retained the purchase receipt for the guitar you should be okay to get this fixed under the 10 year warranty (USA models) or the 2 year warranty (Tribute models).

Have you contacted the G&L Distributor for your area to make arrangements for repair? That is what G&L has listed as the procedure in their Support page on their main website.

Hope this helps.

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:11 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
If you retained the purchase receipt for the guitar you should be okay to get this fixed under the 10 year warranty (USA models) or the 2 year warranty (Tribute models).

You think so? you would relieve me...but I only have the email receipt, and of course the serial number on my neck. With this you think it's gonna be alright?

I custom ordered it in us 1 year and a half ago, so it should be ok.

I haven't contacted the G&L Distributor of my area because they don't distribute US G&L guitars...but maybe should I? (that's why I ordered directly from the us...)

Thanks again for your help, I don't feel alone with my problem anymore ;) , and maybe this thread will be helpful for others

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

djyne wrote:
Quote:

You think so? you would relieve me...but I only have the email receipt, and of course the serial number on my neck. With this you think it's gonna be alright?

I custom ordered it in us 1 year and a half ago, so it should be ok.

I haven't contacted the G&L Distributor of my area because they don't distribute US G&L guitars...but maybe should I? (that's why I ordered directly from the us...)

Thanks again for your help, I don't feel alone with my problem anymore ;) , and maybe this thread will be helpful for others

You should contact the G&L dealer you purchased it from and work with them to get it taken care of under warranty.
Let us know how it works out.

Hoping that it can be resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:54 am
Profile WWW

I did.

Their answer :

Quote:
Hi. If the guitar is still under warranty, you will need to contact G&L directly. We cannot provide replacement parts or repair services. Did you send in your warranty card when you got the guitar? Thanks,

I told them I didn't send back the warranty card and since no email back...

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

djyne wrote:
I did.

Their answer :

Quote:
Hi. If the guitar is still under warranty, you will need to contact G&L directly. We cannot provide replacement parts or repair services. Did you send in your warranty card when you got the guitar? Thanks,

Please send me email with the dealer's name, your contact information and I will try and help get this resolved.
My email address is craig@guitarsbyleo.com.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:23 pm
Profile WWW

djyne wrote:
I did.

Their answer :

Quote:

I believe that the dealer is giving you a load of bull. Virtually every warranty card I've ever seen states that your warranty coverage is not effected by not sending it in. I suggest you look on yours to verify this. If similar verbiage is there, you might want to alert your dealer to this fact. Having a receipt to establish a date of purchase, and that you are the original owner, should be all you need for warranty coverage. I suspect that these guys just don't want to deal with it and figured that most people don't send in warranty cards. It was a convenient, and seemingly credible way of blowing you off. That's what I'd surmise anyway.

It's great that Craig is trying to get you some help with your issue. Good luck.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Unfortunately I don't have this card anymore...
but if I remember correctly it was specified that my warranty coverage is not effected by not sending it in.
But as I said, I do have the email with my order, I hope it will be enought to have my warranty

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:53 pm
Profile WWW

Just to keep you informed, my neck will be replace, under warranty, thanks to Craig and Steve!! thanks to G&L!
As I said to steve, to prevent any problem, my next G&L (I want a fullerton red legacy ;) ) will be ordered in France (but I hope there won't be any problem...) ;)

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 am
Profile WWW

djyne wrote:
Just to keep you informed, my neck will be replace, under warranty, thanks to Craig and Steve!! thanks to G&L!

Excellent. Congratulations. Those G&L folks are a pretty good bunch.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Yes they are! :happy0065:

I'll tell you when the guitar will be adjust with the new neck.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:59 am
Profile WWW

Hi,

ok 1 month and a half later, my guitar is adjusted!
It was no longer than Steve told me at first to build the neck, but it's ok now.
I love this guitar...especially with the new 12"radius neck!
I find it even more beautiful with the new neck...

Here's my old neck and its sick trussrod, no comment

http://www3.snapfish.fr/snapfishfr/slideshow/AlbumID=5357989011/PictureID=138766657011/a=4591406011_4591406011/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/

And that's my axe with its new neck :

http://www3.snapfish.fr/snapfishfr/slideshow/AlbumID=5357989011/PictureID=138769904011/a=4591406011_4591406011/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/

http://www3.snapfish.fr/snapfishfr/slideshow/AlbumID=5357989011/PictureID=138769907011/a=4591406011_4591406011/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/

Very good guitar...

Thanks again to you for helping ;)

Last edited by djyne on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:14 pm
Profile WWW

Hoping to get the same sort of service here,
Congrats on the new gat :)

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]