View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 ASAT Deluxe Owners pics 

Post ASAT Deluxe Owners pics
Hey if you have an asat deluxe, lets post some pics of em.... along with anything special or custom you might have on them.
I'm sure there are some pretty sick looking axes out there.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Post Re: ASAT Deluxe Owners pics
Seriously? Nobody's got an asat deluxe? Or nobody has a camera? :crazy:

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:18 pm

I have an ASAT special coming, but the deluxe wasn't for me. I have a few humbucker equipped guitars, and I do not look to single cuts for my humbucker rocking goodness. I really don't see it being that popular of a model variation.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:08 pm

Lefty Deluxe owner here ...

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:09 pm

Just got it a week ago

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:26 pm

I love that 'Elvis Las Vegas' special TIm, nicely named too. There was one just like that for sale here a week ago but it had chrome covered pickups in it. I would have bought it but the guy was asking a ridiculous price (AUS$3000!!!). I gotta get a gold sparkle guitar one day

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Southpaw.....I've always loved that top on that guitar!

Even though I've posted this a few times before, here's mine:

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:47 pm

sirmyghin wrote:
I have an ASAT special coming, but the deluxe wasn't for me. I have a few humbucker equipped guitars, and I do not look to single cuts for my humbucker rocking goodness. I really don't see it being that popular of a model variation.

Ive played single coil and ssh setups for years, but with the coil split ability on this guitar, it has endless options of tone. imho.......

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:43 am

Ransomx wrote:
sirmyghin wrote:

Ive played single coil and ssh setups for years, but with the coil split ability on this guitar, it has endless options of tone. imho.......

Thing is a split humbucker will get you close, but it is no single coil either way. Some can get some decent quack/bite, but it is still not all the way there. I play an H-H C66, and use a whole lot of coil splitting when I play. Both for sound, and intensity control purposes.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:45 am

Here's mine. Also did major mods. Switched pups - now have Dimarzio Air Norton in neck and Dimarzio Evolution in bridge, added a 4 way switch and added extra switch to allow separate coil split for neck or bridge. Think Deluxe, Bluesboy, ASAT, HB and more all rolled into one! :banana:

The AirNorton gives a very nice split sound and the Evolution takes distortion more to the Steve Vai sound I want from this guitar. All in all this can do close all I want ('cept for a WR Z coil tone) :rolleyes:

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:49 pm

This is the newest member of the family, I have had it for about a month--done nothing except change the strings. Played through my current favorite amp, silverface deluxe reverb, the bridge pick (humbucker) sound is fantastic. The bridge pickup is ho-hum, so there definitely may be some mods in my future. But need to play with pickup height first. Other thoughts on that?

And I agree with a lot of the other posters, a splitter is a cool effect, but a killer single coil guitar it doesn't make. I have experience now with the stock seymores on this deluxe and the G&L's on my '81 F-100 (which is my favorite guitar period). Plus most of these deluxes are mahogany guitars with maple tops; which is, the experts tell me, ideal humbucker wood.

My excitement is getting the best of me, here is another beauty to add to the list. (I didn't take this picture, this is one of the ones that sold me this darn thing on ebay! lol.)

Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:21 am
Site Admin

Steve Grom recently sent me this photo of an ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow they had done. It's an all Mahogany body
with a Clear Orange finish. This color takes on a whole different look over the mahogany.
The all mahogany body is an option that can be ordered. An ASAT Deluxe comes standard
with a mahogany body, but a figured maple top. This one just has a mahogany body.

I do like the Clear Orange on Mahogany :thumbup:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:49 am
Profile WWW

sickbutnottired wrote:
And I agree with a lot of the other posters, a splitter is a cool effect, but a killer single coil guitar it doesn't make. I have experience now with the stock seymores on this deluxe and the G&L's on my '81 F-100 (which is my favorite guitar period). Plus most of these deluxes are mahogany guitars with maple tops; which is, the experts tell me, ideal humbucker wood.

Confession here: I actually bypassed the splitter switch altogether on my Deluxe. Not to sound brash, but I've always felt that using a single coil in a humbucker sounds horrible. Of course, that's just my opinion while meaning no offense to others, but if I want the single-coil sound, I just pick up my Tele or ASAT Classic.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:57 am

Jim P wrote:
Confession here: I actually bypassed the splitter switch altogether on my Deluxe. Not to sound brash, but I've always felt that using a single coil in a humbucker sounds horrible. Of course, that's just my opinion while meaning no offense to others, but if I want the single-coil sound, I just pick up my Tele or ASAT Classic.

I agree, and it's not crazy to bypass the switch at all. Well, I mostly agree, I don't think the sound is horrible, it's just not good. By that I mean its not something you want to build around. I am currently using it some in my main band, we have two serious guitar players, and i like to toggle to the single when passing the lead to him or playing intricate lines behind. Just kind of a different effect, not really a 'single coil' sound, per say. Did you think there was tonal improvement taking the switch out of the circuit, over playing in humbucker mode?

That semi hollow of yours is a beauty, by the way.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:26 pm

[quote="Ransomx"]Hey if you have an asat deluxe, lets post some pics of em.... along with anything special or custom you might have on them.
I'm sure there are some pretty sick looking axes out there.
/quote]

No MOP dots on the fretboard with that finish is just so damn tasty. You don't have a full frontal shot do you?

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:29 pm

sickbutnottired wrote:
I agree, and it's not crazy to bypass the switch at all. Well, I mostly agree, I don't think the sound is horrible, it's just not good. By that I mean its not something you want to build around.......... Did you think there was tonal improvement taking the switch out of the circuit, over playing in humbucker mode?

Thanks for the nice comment about the guitar!

Regarding the notion of splitting the humbuckers, I'm sure that "horrible" wasn't the correct word for me to use -sorry about that - but this concept has never worked for me. Back in the 80s I did a few Warmoth guitar builds where I thought that splitting the coils of humbuckers would be a novel idea, but I quickly found that this resulted in rather drastic volume and balance variances when combining two pickups unless I had a volume control for each pickup. When I ran just one pickup while set in the single-coil mode, the pickup just sounded flat and dry to me. In other words, it just didn't sound very musical, IMO. I'll have to admit that for one build I did incorporate two volume controls as well as having a master tone control, and the effect of having one pickup in the single-coil mode while blending it with a humbucker was actually quite nice in many respects. Still, while the "gearhead" in me wanted to make it work in the long haul, I've since opted for simplicity. Believe me, I fully understand the notion of finding that perfect instrument that can do it all, and while the notion of splitting pickups and combining pickups as well as wiring them in various combinations in order to achieve all of the ultimate tones available, I've essentially found that good guitars just do what they do, and they do that well. In most cases, I've just found that they usually do some things better than others and that it's usually best not to mess around with them too much. In the case of my Deluxe, I just feel that it sounds best with using only the two humbuckers. BTW, I love the sound of this guitar. It has become my "go-to" axe for playing clean and Dumble-like jazz tones all the way to Santana. I kind of like to think of it as a cross between a Gibson ES-335 and a Les Paul.

Regarding any "tonal improvement" with bypassing the mini-toggle switch, I would have to say that there wasn't any improvement that I could tell. After all, as long as two humbuckers are wired so that they make a direct connection to the output jack without any caps or any other item interfering within the signal chain, it really shouldn't make any difference. Beside the notion of not caring much for the single-coil mode, I only bypassed the switch because I didn't care to accidentally hit the switch when playing live, only to find that my guitar wasn't sounding quite right.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:08 am

sickbutnottired wrote:
No MOP dots on the fretboard with that finish is just so damn tasty. You don't have a full frontal shot do you?

It Actually looks alot deeper and more...Black in person. the flash does something to the appearance of the wood......

Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:45 am

My 99 Deluxe. My slider set up w/ 12's.

Not the greatest pics but she's green and mean..

mark

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:07 am

I use the splitter switch, playing my rhythm parts in the single coil mode; then hitting the humbucker more for leads. It's a nice boost in volume, and the thicker fatter tone is perfect for soloing.

Bill

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:13 am

This beauty is shipping my way tomorrow....can't wait.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Jim P wrote:
sickbutnottired wrote:
I agree, and it's not crazy to bypass the switch at all. Well, I mostly agree, I don't think the sound is horrible, it's just not good. By that I mean its not something you want to build around.......... Did you think there was tonal improvement taking the switch out of the circuit, over playing in humbucker mode?

Thanks for the nice comment about the guitar!

Regarding the notion of splitting the humbuckers, I'm sure that "horrible" wasn't the correct word for me to use -sorry about that - but this concept has never worked for me. Back in the 80s I did a few Warmoth guitar builds where I thought that splitting the coils of humbuckers would be a novel idea, but I quickly found that this resulted in rather drastic volume and balance variances when combining two pickups unless I had a volume control for each pickup. When I ran just one pickup while set in the single-coil mode, the pickup just sounded flat and dry to me. In other words, it just didn't sound very musical, IMO. I'll have to admit that for one build I did incorporate two volume controls as well as having a master tone control, and the effect of having one pickup in the single-coil mode while blending it with a humbucker was actually quite nice in many respects. Still, while the "gearhead" in me wanted to make it work in the long haul, I've since opted for simplicity. Believe me, I fully understand the notion of finding that perfect instrument that can do it all, and while the notion of splitting pickups and combining pickups as well as wiring them in various combinations in order to achieve all of the ultimate tones available, I've essentially found that good guitars just do what they do, and they do that well. In most cases, I've just found that they usually do some things better than others and that it's usually best not to mess around with them too much. In the case of my Deluxe, I just feel that it sounds best with using only the two humbuckers. BTW, I love the sound of this guitar. It has become my "go-to" axe for playing clean and Dumble-like jazz tones all the way to Santana. I kind of like to think of it as a cross between a Gibson ES-335 and a Les Paul.

Regarding any "tonal improvement" with bypassing the mini-toggle switch, I would have to say that there wasn't any improvement that I could tell. After all, as long as two humbuckers are wired so that they make a direct connection to the output jack without any caps or any other item interfering within the signal chain, it really shouldn't make any difference. Beside the notion of not caring much for the single-coil mode, I only bypassed the switch because I didn't care to accidentally hit the switch when playing live, only to find that my guitar wasn't sounding quite right.

Thanks for you thoughts. Yea, I love the the sound of mine as well. I have made quite a bit of improvement to the neck pickup of sound just changing the pickup height. Indeed, i didn't expect you would hear a difference, as the switches are pretty good quality.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:32 am

Ransomx wrote:
sickbutnottired wrote:

It Actually looks alot deeper and more...Black in person. the flash does something to the appearance of the wood......

Thanks! I really like that. My deluxe looks pretty dark as well, but it changes a ton in different light.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:37 am

Let's see if mine will show up..... This thing is AMAZING! Special stuff: The body and top are both alder.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:47 pm

jazzrat wrote:
This beauty is shipping my way tomorrow....can't wait.

Nice one ! Congrats. I was wondering who snagged that one.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Quote:
Nice one ! Congrats. I was wondering who snagged that one.

Yup, it's me.
I really wanted a sunburst with a rosewood board but the price got to the point that I had to jump.
Looking forward to it.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]