Information on MIJ G&L Tribute ASAT classic

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:17 pm

hey guys I got myself a MIJ G&L asat classic. I tried finding some info on this guitar but to no avail. Only thing I know is they were only made for a short period of time. Anyone able to shed more light?

Re: Information on MIJ G&L Tribute ASAT classic

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:42 am

Recvently, I've seen a MIJ Asat Classic Premium, and I didn't know there were MIJ ASAT:

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:45 am

al89 wrote:hey guys I got myself a MIJ G&L asat classic. I tried finding some info on this guitar but to no avail. Only thing I know is they were only made for a short period of time. Anyone able to shed more light?

The Made in Japan G&L Tribute Series are still in production and are made only for sale in Japan.
We don't have much information here because they rarely are seen outside of Japan. This post has
about all the information we have on the GbL: help identifying my ASAT!.

The serial number indicates that it was built in October of 2006.

Please do add this guitar to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:20 am

So the G&L tribute Japan and G&L premium are both different line of production in Japan?

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:39 pm

sweet guitar !!

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:26 pm

That burst is really well done.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:29 pm

Wow, I gotta search one out

Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:37 pm

Yeah, it's really expectional! I upgraded the pots to CTS, added a RS guitarworks cap and the tone blew me off! I played it against my cousin's fender American deluxe and boy it held right against it head to head tonally.

But I would like to confirm if the pups were really Fullerton made? And is the body ash, alder or basswood?

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:45 am

Craig wrote:
al89 wrote:hey guys I got myself a MIJ G&L asat classic. I tried finding some info on this guitar but to no avail. Only thing I know is they were only made for a short period of time. Anyone able to shed more light?

The Made in Japan G&L Tribute Series are still in production and are made only for sale in Japan.
We don't have much information here because they rarely are seen outside of Japan. This post has
about all the information we have on the GbL: help identifying my ASAT!.

The serial number indicates that it was built in October of 2006.

Please do add this guitar to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

Here is some follow up on this:

As I understand it, the Japan G&L Tribute Series production stopped sometime in late 2016.

I asked Dave McLaren in January 2017 about it and he replied:

Hi Craig,

Happy New Year to you too!

At present there is no production in Japan as the range is being reevaluated by our new Japan distributor which officially began December 1st.
It may be a few months before more is known.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

Today, I did another follow up on this with Dave to find out if Tribute Series production has started up again in Japan.
Here is his reply:

Hi Craig,

It has not. For now the distributor is focusing on Fullerton and Indonesia Tribute.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:05 pm

There's one of these for sale in my corner of the globe. So you didn't seem to get a whole lot of information on this, but you're happy with it? Can you compare it to any other Tributes or any USA G&Ls? And to anyone on the list, are the MIJ Tributes considered better guitars than Tributes made elsewhere?