Warped neck and warranty info?

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Hello,

I purchased a 2015 Legacy Tribute used less than a year ago and I noticed that the neck is slightly warped. The guitar has not been exposed to any extreme temperatures.

I tried to find out if this was covered under any warranty since it's less than 3 years old, but it looks like the link to the warranty details no longer works since the site redesign.

If anyone has any info on whether this would be covered, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Re: Warped neck and warranty info?

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:22 pm

can you describe the "warp", or better yet, provide pictures?
have you tried truss rod adjustment?

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:22 pm

oldcactus wrote:Hello,

I purchased a 2015 Legacy Tribute used less than a year ago and I noticed that the neck is slightly warped. The guitar has not been exposed to any extreme temperatures.

I tried to find out if this was covered under any warranty since it's less than 3 years old, but it looks like the link to the warranty details no longer works since the site redesign.

If anyone has any info on whether this would be covered, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Tribute Warranty is for two years and is not transferable. Since your bought it used, I suggest contacting G&L's Customer Service department. call (714)897-6766 extension 156 or
send an email repairs@glguitars.com.

Hope this helps.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks for the replies and update re: warranty.

I got a reply from the repairs department and they asked me to ship it to them to have it looked at. The truss rod has been checked, and I noticed the warping when I took it in recently to have the pickups swapped out.

Not a great picture, but it's all I have on my at the moment. https://i.imgur.com/Yu3i4fL.jpg

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:56 pm

That's a warp right there...yup.

Hope things work out. Keep us posted.

Tom

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:44 pm

My god that's a pretty extreme warp! So sorry for your trouble! I've had some bad G&L luck myself this past year!

They're generally really helpful so I hope they can work with you somehow.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

The repairs department was very helpful and said they could replace the neck, but it's going to cost $200 + whatever I have to spend to ship it to them. That seems like kind of a lot of money for a guitar with an MSRP of $600 and has a warped neck after less than three years.

I put out an inquiry to a Musikraft asking about pricing for a replacement neck. My train of thought on that is if I'm going to spend close to $300 on a new neck, maybe I should get an upgrade instead of another G&L neck which warped in the first place.

If the G&L option is the cheapest/easiest, then I guess that's what I'll do.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:07 am

oldcactus wrote:Thanks all for the replies.

The repairs department was very helpful and said they could replace the neck, but it's going to cost $200 + whatever I have to spend to ship it to them. That seems like kind of a lot of money for a guitar with an MSRP of $600 and has a warped neck after less than three years.

I put out an inquiry to a Musikraft asking about pricing for a replacement neck. My train of thought on that is if I'm going to spend close to $300 on a new neck, maybe I should get an upgrade instead of another G&L neck which warped in the first place.

G&L necks warping is not a common problem , your the first I've heard with a Tribute neck warped .... My 2000 Comanche with Birdseye maple neck twisted , I upgraded to a Quarter sawn neck ands stainless steel frets for about 600.00 on a used 750.00 dollar Comanche so I know how you feel , there also a seller on epay that goes by Gibson??? that sells G&L parts , might be able to grab a used Tribute neck from here

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 pm

There is an unfinished Tribute Legacy neck on Reverb right now. It has frets but no other hardware. The neck is not even drilled for attaching to the body but it;s only $35.00

You could get a good luthier to swap it out and set it up for a decent price most likely. Just search "G&L Parts" and it should come up.

Tom

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 pm

200 is a STEAL for a new bolt on from G&L., especially if it's pleked.

I'd go for it in a second.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:12 am

neutralomen wrote:200 is a STEAL for a new bolt on from G&L., especially if it's pleked.

I'd go for it in a second.

Tribute necks are not Plek'd.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:39 pm

some of them are! Some go through the california factory and get pleked. They'll advertise as such.

https://reverb.com/item/7081485-g-l-tribute-legacy-gloss-plek-d

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, and it wasn't plek'd by G&L

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 pm

neutralomen wrote:some of them are! Some go through the california factory and get pleked. They'll advertise as such.

https://reverb.com/item/7081485-g-l-tribute-legacy-gloss-plek-d

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, and it wasn't plek'd by G&L

Look at Norman Music Center’s website and you will see that they have a Plek machine and they
Plek some of the Tributes they sell apparently at no extra cost.

Most of the Tribute Instruments do go through the G&L factory for inspection and final setup before they are shipped to dealers, but they are not Plek’d at the G&L factory.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:16 pm

oldcactus wrote:Thanks all for the replies.

With what kind of neck would they be replacing it? The same one or a better one (USA)? Given the circumstances, I think I'd lobby for a good price for a USA neck, assuming it would fit.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks for the help and the replies.

Long story short, G&L took care of it and the customer service I received has been incredible.

Customer for life.