View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Lunch Report - Let's Make Two in a Row 7-DEC-17 

Post Lunch Report - Let's Make Two in a Row 7-DEC-17
Ok, let’s make it two in a row!

Lunch today is leftover beef stew I made Tuesday. It is loaded with “vegetables”: potatoes, parsnips, zucchini, celery, onions, garlic, and sweet peppers. I slow cooked all day in the crock pot. It should be even better today. I’ll wash it down with a blood orange Dasani.

G&L Topic

I was excited to see G&L role out a new six stringer this year, the Doheny. I’ve always kind of liked to offset type bodies of Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Mustangs, Duo Sonics… – so I was happy to see Jazz style body being added to the offering. Being very impressed with G&L’s MFD pickups, I was most excited about the idea of an MFD Jazz pickup. When it rolled out I started thinking of different combinations:

Fullerton Red, mint pickguard, black pickup covers, DFV, ebony fingerboard, white block inlays, matching headstock…

Clear green, 3-ply black pickguard, parchment pickup covers, DFV, ebony fingerboard, white block inlays, black headstock…

Fumble’s combination is pretty sweet too: Big Flake Green, matching HS, Rosewood big block inlays , DFV, Locking tuners and quartersawn, mint guard and white pickups and knobs on Empress. I’ll be watching Facebook for that on Eric!

I’d like to hear your specs for a Doheny? How would you have it built?

There has also been some discussion of what people would like to see different about the Doheny. So people don’t like the name, I actually kind of like the name. Others want a logo decal, I agree I think all models should come with a model decal and logo delete should be an option.

For me, the biggest change I’d like to see is the bridge type. I’d like something with the extended string length behind the saddles such as the Mastery Bridge. More stable than a vintage Jazzmaster, but with the added harmonics from the extended string length. But then G&L is not alone here, Suhr uses a Gotoh 510 tremolo unit. G&L offers the Saddle-Lock for a hardtail version. Similarly, Suhr offers a version with a TonePros tune-o-matic bridge with strings that pass through the body.
Some other small things I’d like to see:

1. I’d prefer the pickup selector on the lower bout rather than the upper bout. I’m so used to it being below the strings that It seems more natural and comfortable to me to be on the lower bout. I noticed the new American Professional Jazzmaster has the selector on the upper bout and people complaining about this location for the swith.
2. I’d like to see aluminum pickguard options for the Dohney: gold anodized and white anodized. I always kind of like this look. I wouldn’t mind this for other models as well.
3. After having one of my guitars pop off the strap buttons (It wasn’t a G&L), and it landing on the cable where is plugged into the output jack, I’ve become of fan of having the output jack on the front of the guitar. I really like this on my SC-3. Aesthetically, I have become used to seeing it on the front on Jazzmasters, that I’d like to see it on the front of the Doheny.
So what is your list of tweaks you’d like to see on the Doheny?

Non G&L Topic

Any coffee fanatics out there? I’ve become a fan of one of our small local roasters Hansa Coffee especially their single origin coffees. I used to roast my own coffee beans, bit it was hard to get the roast just right with air roasters. The beans would really smoke, so I’d have to duct the roaster outside. Also the roasters would not last very long. I used to prefer a more dark roast, but have transitioned to lighter roast over the last few years. I find the Central American beans when roasted lighter have more acidity that lend a more fruity character to the coffee that makes it more enjoyable for me.

https://www.hansacoffee.com/

So if you’re a coffee fan, what are your favorite purveyors? What you’re your local gems?

Music Topic

My favorite band is Poi Dog Pondering. The founder, lead singer Frank Orrall is involved with many projects. One of them is Thievery Corporation. If your into World Music, then I think they are worth checking out. Here is studio session from KEXP.

phpBB [video]

If you had a pick one band that you recommend people check out, who would that be? Can me new or old, just someone that may not be well known.

Bonus Topic

Today is Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day in the United States. So thank you to those who have selected to serve their countries, putting their lives at risk to defend the people of their countries. Here is a hope of peace throughout the globe and increase in prosperity to enjoy that peace!

Cheers, Dan

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:24 am

Post Re: Lunch Report - Let's Make Two in a Row 7-DEC-17
Lunch is TBA, yesterday I made a great Quesadilla with some left over beef from dinner from the night before.It was good.

While I was happy to see a new guitar from G&L I wasn't too fired up about it. The Doheny is starting to grow on me however. It is great to see some new large MFD's with a PTB system. I don't have a red guitar either so if I was going to spec one out it I would go with CAR , mint guard and matching head stock, rosewood board ( or any of the new non maple fingerboards ) with block inlays and bound neck. Probably saddle lock although this seems to scream DFV to me.

I would like to see a model designation option, I think it looks too sparse as is. I have no problem with the input being on the front , come to think of it I prefer it.

I drink coffee every morning from a French Press, two and a half mugs and I'm good to go. I am a fan of a local brand called " Moja " I prefer their espresso roast but all of their varieties are really well done. Mostly I buy a big bag of Starbucks French roast beans from costco to stay economical. And I also have a Nespresso machine that we really like as well. Nice to make an Americano or have a quick shot when you don't want a full cup. I very rarely have coffee out but when I do there are a couple of places in town that make some great espresso machiato's .

I am really digging these guys , Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever from Australia . I stumbled upon them listening to Bagel Radio on Soma FM .

phpBB [video]

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:23 am

WitSok wrote:

Non G&L Topic

Any coffee fanatics out there? I’ve become a fan of one of our small local roasters Hansa Coffee especially their single origin coffees. I used to roast my own coffee beans, bit it was hard to get the roast just right with air roasters. The beans would really smoke, so I’d have to duct the roaster outside. Also the roasters would not last very long. I used to prefer a more dark roast, but have transitioned to lighter roast over the last few years. I find the Central American beans when roasted lighter have more acidity that lend a more fruity character to the coffee that makes it more enjoyable for me.

https://www.hansacoffee.com/

So if you’re a coffee fan, what are your favorite purveyors? What you’re your local gems?

Well, this is a local haunt of mine! The local cafe closest to me, Daisy's Artish Cafe, also serves Hansa Roasted Coffee.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:59 pm
Profile WWW

Lunch today is the same as yesterday. Visit Fred's Diner in Grayslake, IL. Open 4:30 am to 2pm

G&L Topic

I’d like to hear your specs for a Doheny? How would you have it built?

I'll say it again: Doheny "Thinline" style Semi-Hollow in Swamp Ash, top bound with rear belly cut- and a Mastery or Staytrem Bridge (although they don't offer it) otherwise with a DFV. Cream pickgaurd, black pup covers and knobs, and clear orange frost, Neck would be satin vintage tint Rosewood board and abalone blocks, color-matched headstock.

I have a lot vested in the genesis of the Dohney- I've been talking with Dave about this for about three years- including experimenting with variations on the Jazzmaster body shape. All things considered, I am very pleased with the result. That said, I would like to see them offer a traditional JM style bridge as a option, not unlike offering a Bigsby on an ASAT, the vibrato placed in the Jag or 'Modern Player Jazzmaster" position in relation to the bridge. I'd order one today if they did.

Non G&L Topic

Any coffee fanatics out there? YES

Second this motion: https://www.hansacoffee.com/ and any affiliate that sells their beans, like Daisy's Artish Cafe in Lake Villa, IL

Music Topic

If you had a pick one band that you recommend people check out, who would that be?

Mavis Staples remains relevant with two new albums in the past two years. She collaborates often with Jeff Tweedy of Wilco.

phpBB [video]

Bonus Topic

Today is Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day in the United States. So thank you to those who have selected to serve their countries, putting their lives at risk to defend the people of their countries. Here is a hope of peace throughout the globe and increase in prosperity to enjoy that peace!

phpBB [video]

AMEN!

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 pm
Profile WWW

Dan, you're on a roll!

Lunch today was 10 minutes of cafeteria solitude, some pasta/marinara and meatballs.
I saw a great tee shirt at peach festival this past summer: "legalize marinara". I want one! :happy0007:
One of my favorite quotes of all time: "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" (Bluto, Animal House) :shocked003:
Not to make fun of what should be a somber remembrance for us, though. :cry:

Though I think the Doheny is very nice looking, it doesn't inspire me to buy. I always associated jazzmaster/jaguars with elvis costello, and the early 90's grunge thing, and although I found these artists to be very inspiring, I never craved that style of guitar.
I've actually been craving the other kind of offset, a firebird, by the other "G______" company, but I haven't pulled that trigger yet, have been researching them a bit.

I love coffee. When the folgers runs out, we grind up Jamaican beans that a bass player buddy of mine always brings back from Bob Marley-ville every time he goes. I'm actually going down there in February with him. I played a couple reggae gigs with him this past summer, once using my SC-2, and once the Skyhawk. I've gotta say, the SC-2 was a great reggae guitar! You could argue that you can play reggae on anything, but the tones and feel from the SC-2 were right where they should be. And people were coming up to me asking, "what the heck is that?" There's Marley mojo in the '83 SC-2.

The other coffee we like is from Cafe Dumond in N'awlins. We always bring a can back when we go down the bayou.

Re: recommended artists, I'll suggest 2:
1. Sonny Landreth, best slide player in the world IMHO, from...N'awlins. just saw him in Annapolis this year, new live record out, if you haven't heard him, do check him out. Magical music.
2. Umphrey's Mcgee. Jake Cinninger plays an s-500 and a comanche, sometimes a modded legacy. Their live shows are jaw dropping. New studio album coming out in January too. The only band I've ever seen more than 10 times.
Regards...

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Dan, thanks for the second helping!
[url]https://flic.kr/p/HkhtZx]Image[/url[/url]

Lunch was a sandwich, chips and cookie from a meeting tray at the office. Not my meeting but hey they had extra food. :evilgrin:

The Doheny is growing on me. If I went for one maybe bright yellow with matching headstock, white covers, saddle lock, maple neck/ white block markers, no pickguard and find a way to put "Doheny" on the headstock.

Not a coffee fan but a BIG tea drinker. Have tried and drink all the regulars from Lipton, Tzao, Cellestial Seasonings, Twinings, loose teas etc., but have been a fan of Davidson's tea for a long time. Order on line and they have a huge variety.

My band recommendations would be Marillion for the prog fans, and like john o - Umphrey's McGee is a killer jam band. Live shows for both bands are phenomenal, see when in your area.

Marillion - scroll down for US Dates, I have tix for Atlanta show and will probably go to another somewhere
http://www.marillion.com/tour/

Umphrees McGee - will have to arrange a trip to where they are playing
https://www.pollstar.com/artist/umphreys-mcgee-3050

Have been to Pearl Harbor a few times and met a group of surviving soldiers a few years back. Seeing the memorial and talking with the soldiers left a permanent memory in my brain. Very grateful for all our service men and women do. :thumbup:

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Thievery Corporation has been one of my most favorite bands for probably over 10 years now. I have a Pandora station built on the band, and from that I've discovered a number of other bands. But Thievery Corporation is still the most interesting of them since it incorporates Raggae, Middle Eastern, and just about anything you can think of. One band (actually just one guy) that I discovered some years ago is Yonder Boi from somewhere in Eastern Europe. The album "Shallow and Profound" is my favorite. When I first heard pieces from the record I couldn't even find where to buy it until I found it on iTunes for download.

Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever sounds good. Reminds me a bit of the Cure with The song that was posted.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]