Lunch Report Wednesday 3/3/10

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:13 am

Lunch is a Mexican burrito and a coke. :sick:

I have really enjoyed reading all your replies. What a smart diverse bunch.:clap:

-Jamie _D in IT, does malware and virus removal.
-yowhatsshakin is a software developer, has a PhD, and is a scientist.
-RickT is a project manager for IT type projects. In a previous life, software development.
-zapcosongs is practicing law since the late '80s, and doing the daddy thing since 2002.
-willross music guy, media producer, fitness equipment manufacturer and health club partner.
-Anglewood is a middle school teacher in South Central LA for the past six years.
-Jim P an Architecture 18 years. I played music for a living the first 20 years of my adult life
-bassman is in IT support for a county library system and I has been doing this 16 years.
-Legasat is a Regional Manager for a large Japanese Electronics Company. 20+ years.
-MrRoundel has been a real estate agent since 1986. Enjoys windsurfing & guitars.
-Kodor Sr. Electrical Engineer for a large power company "smart" equipment inside substations.
-Ches in industrial sales for 30+ years (welding industry for the last 20) Ramping up to retiring
-GDub a programmer/web developer for a design magazine: 13 years..
-sam As little as possible for the most return. Since they took off the security ankle bracelet
-Jaystrings Retired, conducted leadership and customer service seminars, satisfaction research and organizational climate research projects for manufacturing, banks, sales support operations.---Retired? My ass, I'm tired just thinking bout all the things he does...Producer at Electric City Playhouse, Vice President ECP, spot light operator, photographer, bass/guitar player, song writers guild, writers guild, Tai Chi, T-shirt design, traveler, Ambassador of G&L, author - Living With Gas, He sold a ship load of his book at the S.C. Guitar Show. Great guy, lucky to have as a friend.
-helle-man a full time musician, doing his dream job. Been doing it his whole life.---This Will Ray guy has it all figured out, lucky buzard..living the life the rest of us dream of ! Phenomenal guitar burner. We all already know all about his extraordinary skill. Also super nice down to earth guy.
-Tim Buffalo Bros Self explanatory.Writer for humor columns.
-yoeleven a General Contractor. I enjoy what I do, except the paperwork and dealing with the local government building department.
-Ledergeist does program, set-up, and operate CNC machinery.

There you have it. Folks that make the big wheel turn. :happy0007:

Todays Questions,
So you've seen the new beta format here. Whats your opinion on it?

Anything you don't like about it?

I wish there was an upload option for pics. I do like the avatars.

What other sights do you like or hang at?

Any you would Recommend?

Any Facebook users ? I know of several here as friends now.

My first experience with snow...sure beats hurricanes! Out my front door.Image

Have a G&L day, :cheers:
John :music002:

Re: Lunch Report Wednesday 3/3/10

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:45 am

I like the new format but I must confess I miss the old Grren and Black. Kinda like I miss a certain 1947 GMC truck I used to have. I wouldn't want to drive it everyday but but it was fun!
Not much snow this year....but here is our place in Dec '08.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 am

John,

Is your snow pic from yesterday's flurries?

We had approx 4" yesterday, but it has melted, 46F here.

Todays Questions,

Nice!

No.

Dittos.

BABP for bass discussion.

jamie

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:04 am

Todays Questions,

So you've seen the new beta format here. Whats your opinion on it? :BadIdea: (Kidding)

It's o.k. It will take some getting used to though. While the old green-board was perhaps a bit antiquated, so might I be. It was comfortable, but so are many other things in life that have the tendency to change. That IS life.

This format is certainly more like others I've been to, so it's not totally foreign to me. I do like the choice of emoticons. :BadPC:

Nothing comes to mind right away.

I haven't tried to load a photo yet. I guess I'll find out how soon. I haven't used an avatar yet either.

I do a bit of Facebook hanging out. I have remade long gone high school friendships through Facebook. I believe that this is the big plus with Facebook. In today's world, it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to honorable, genuine people. When you grow up in a common area, with common interests, environments, etc., you got to know people better, and I believe, easier. Once you back out the early teenage hormone-charged egos from the memories, you realize that you knew a lot of good folks. At least that's the way it's been with me and Facebook.

Any you would Recommend?

Facebook for the reasons mentioned.

I enjoy going to a the BMW automobile enthusiasts boards. Roadfly.com in particular. I couldn't afford to keep my '99 Bimmer if it wasn't for all of the great information shared between the shade-tree mechanics and other enthusiasts. I'm on the edge of selling it as it is. Next job, motor mounts and steering rack boot. BMW's drive beautifully. Some even look good. However, after 100K miles, they're a constant work in progress. If you don't work on your own car at all, you'd be best to lease a Bimmer if you must have one. I seriously doubt that anyone buys these cars at the end of their lease anymore. But I digress.

I just signed up for the Acoustic Guitar Forum. It looks like it'll be a good one. I had just A/B'd my Taylor 710ce with my Alvarez-Yairi 84C and was amazed at how much more sustain the Taylor had. It looks like I'll be keeping the Taylor in addition to its "replacement" (Yairi). I'm wondering if it has to do with the individual saddle setup that the Yairi has, not allowing sympathetic (?) vibrations and overtones from the other strings. Even next to my non-Yairi Alvarez, the DY84C doesn't have the sustain. Beautiful guitar though, with good tone and clarity.

See above comment.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:21 am

yoeleven wrote:I like the new format but I must confess I miss the old Grren and Black.

I hope these instructions work.
1. Go to ucp.php
2. Select "Board preferences" (should be on the left side)
3. You'll likely be on the "Edit global settings" page. If so, find the "My board style:" options and select "AcidTech Green".

-Brock

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:37 am

Woodfixer wrote:Todays Questions,

I'll withhold judgment for the time being --- still getting used to it.

Woodfixer wrote:Anything you don't like about it?

Yes. As this is a relatively small group of G&Lers, it seemed to make a great deal more sense to have one page for all posts. If you weren't interested in a particular topic, it was easy enough to maybe take a quick gander and then move on. As it is now, you have all these headings and subheadings which I think unnecessarily segregates the posts. Too bad.

Woodfixer wrote:What other sights do you like or hang at?

For guitar stuff, I like the Telecaster forum (TDPRI), even though I don't really play my thinline anymore. That is indeed a BIG group, so this "forum" format works well there.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:00 pm

I have to post a quick response today.

I like the new format.

I changed to the Green setting that Brock recommended just for old times sake.LOL

I like some snow but we got hammered in Wash DC this year. We have a snow total of approx. 56 inches for this winter and everyone has had enough!

I haven't tried to post a picture yet. Maybe I will post one later this week.

Have a good day, everybody.

-bassman

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Brock wrote: I hope these instructions work.
1. Go to ucp.php
2. Select "Board preferences" (should be on the left side)
3. You'll likely be on the "Edit global settings" page. If so, find the "My board style:" options and select "AcidTech Green".

-Brock

Thanks brutha....that helps a bit!

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Todays Questions,

Still getting used to it but it seems OK. This site doesn't get a whole lot of traffic so it is kind of tedious having to go back and forth to check postings under the other headings.

What other sights do you like or hang at? Any you would Recommend?

I have an account on FB but don't do much with it. Post a picture every now and then. It was nice to get in touch with some old friends. Other than that I'm not hitting any thing else on a regular basis these days.

My first experience with snow...sure beats hurricanes! Out my front door.

We just had our 3rd or maybe 4th snowstorm here in north GA yesterday. Probably be gone by tomorrow but its kind of rare to get so many storms in 1 year around these parts. But I love it. Been here almost 20 years and still miss the winters.

Jeff
Last edited by repoman on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm

I think it will still take a little bit of getting used to, but overall it is looking pretty good. The addition of the acid green skin was a definite plus. A bit more refined and more in the spirit of the older board.

I think like anything else it will just take a little while to gain steam. So far so good I guess, I'm just getting used to another set of forum functions.

The Les Paul Forum and ADVRider.com are the only other forums I really pay attention to.

Any you would Recommend?

See Above.

I've been on Facebook for a while but I don't check it that often. I mainly use it to keep in touch with folks from back home or college.

Nice snow pics, we haven't had that around here in I don't know when. Probably a good thing after seeing how well SoCal folks drive in the rain. :shock:

Lates,

Connor

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

New format? Love it! Love it!

Couldn't ever find anything in the old forum so I didn't go there as much as other forums that I like. I'll be here much more often.

I think others will migrate once they get used to it and the see the traffic swinging this way. Great Job!

Hazy

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Todays Questions,
I like most of it but still like the simplicity of the old one. maybe just holding on to what's comfortable. Acid is a great color.

seems to be more steps to get to the marketplace and registry, and I don't know how to (or if you can) build reply to previous LR replies, or if you can only post at the end. :confused0007:
These little guys are fun however!

only lurk at tdpri and boogie board

Any Facebook users ?
Not for me.

Thanks John

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Hey John,

I love this new format and by using AcidGreen I can keep my withdrawal symptoms in check. And yes, I am a Facebook user but only because I work on the so-called back-end for a fairly popular Facebook game by the name of Bejeweled Blitz. I need it to test my stuff. Otherwise I try to stay away from it.

This are some sweet pictures. Today in the local Seattle Times was a big piece that in the Northwest we are short on snow and may expect water shortages this summer. Guess we have to put the Vancouver trick into action and truck the snow from your place to over here ;)

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:36 pm

sam wrote:Anything you don't like about it?
...or if you can only post at the end. :confused0007:
These little guys are fun however!

Thanks John

You can only post at the end...but you can use quotes to show a direct reply. :greet:

Hazy

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks Hazy,

I will use that in the future. Still stuck in "the old days" I liked the visible stream of comments, but this will soon become second nature. I am the lowest common denominator on the computer totem pole anyway. :whome:

Thanks again, I'll get the hang of it soon fer sure.

Cya,
Sam

Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:01 am

yowhatsshakin Thats quite a harem you got there.. :shock:

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:12 am

Woodfixer wrote:yowhatsshakin Thats quite a harem you got there.. :shock:

Oops...

Hazy
Last edited by hazy on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:50 am

Woodfixer wrote:yowhatsshakin Thats quite a harem you got there.. :shock:

And that picture needs some serious updating. ASAT model #12 is on its way, due for arrival tomorrow. A John Jorgenson Signature. I will post pics when available.