Lunch Report Tuesday 3/2/10

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:39 am

Todays lunch is going to be a chicken sandwich and a soda.
Thanks for the coments on the 1938 restore. To answer a question asked about how I came to doing repair & refinishing. I was 17. Just out of high school. 1971.
I was given an ultimatum by my folks to either cut my hair or leave home. Being young and dumb I said I'll see you later. Thrown out in the real world I learned to survive. I lied that I was was an experienced fork lift driver and worked for Ethan Allen furniture. Seeing as how I busted up a lot of furniture it led me spending time in the refinishing/repair department. Little did I know this simple twist of fate would become my livelihood. Now 38 years later it seems surreal I have done well and am greatful to have a trade I love, as it never felt like working. I have been self employed since 1981. I'm a lucky dog!

I was at the S. Carolina guitar show and had the pleasure to meet Will Ray, Jamie d and 1954 Bassman. Jaystrings had his collection of CP Thorton's. They drew a lot of interest. Truly are guitars taken to the extreme level, I consider them pieces of art. I met several folks. One was a young guy that makes Owen's Guitars. Great guy with an incredable collection of aged woods. I connected with his work, truly beautifull. Saw an incredable amout of vintage guitars.

Todays questions..
Do you enjoy your job? What do you do?

How long have you been doing it?

If you could do anything else, what would you enjoy?

Have you been to a guitar show? Where? What did you enjoy about it the most?

Have a good day!
John :BadPC:
Will doing his thing. :happy0065: Nice guy!

Lunch Reply

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:26 am

Hey,

I went to Spartanburg too. Met John and Jay. Hated to miss Will Ray.

Only a couple G&Ls. Mint Broadcaster for $3500. YIKES.

Today's questions..

IT. Somewhat slow due to the economy. Malware and virus removal jobs keep my lights on.

10 years full time this fall.

Attending community college for Web Technology courses.
Prep for CIW Certs.

Attend CLT and Spartanburg every year.
Went to Dallas and Austin years ago when they were first starting up.
Also attended the Dallas Steel Guitar Show. Great players.
The MASGA, Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Show, is next month in my home town.
Good times with great players.

Enjoy looking at the vintage pieces. Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices.

jamie

Re: Lunch Report Tuesday 3/2/10

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:30 am

Hey John,

Again a couple of great pics! Must be nice to ru into such affable people like Mr Ray.

I have been a software developer for the last give and take 10 years. Worked for 3 companies, a middle-sized one for 9 years, the big one here in the Seattle neighborhood for about 1.5 years, and now for a gaming company. I have loved every day of it, some more and some less. In the gaming company I work for now, most employees (if not about all) could all have been my kids! Quite an exciting environment where the young whippersnapper keep you on your toes!

But my initial dream was to become a full-tenured professor in (nuclear) physics. That's why I got my PhD, that why I dabbled in post-doctoral positions for so many years. But both my wife and I really like it here up in Seattle. And my first position in the software industry was really close to what I had been doing as a scientist. Working on a product that, as it turns out, was about a decade ahead of its time was great and challenging. And now working with young kids and teach them the ropes of the business comes pretty close too to what I envisioned 20 years ago. But if you ask me what I still once in a while dream of ...

Unfortunately, never have been to a guitar show. But now I have picked up collecting in a more serious way (ASAT #12, a Jorgenson Sig is on the way), it is about time.

John, you have a good day too.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:38 am

I'm a project manager for IT type projects. In a previous life, I performed the same function for software development. I like project management because most of the time, you are dealing with people more than you are the technologies. It sounds contrary, but it is the people that get things done so when you are able to motivate them and make them more efficient, project outcomes are usually successful.

I've not gone to a lot of guitar shows, mainly because they don't have a lot of them around here. And, usually I don't have the cash to buy something. Had I known you guys were going to be there, I would have made an effort to attend.

RickT

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:42 am

I practice law part time, and I'm a full-time Mr. Mom. In addition to handling a small handful of legal matters at any give time for friends and family, I shop, I cook, I do laundry, take kids to their activities, practices, games, etc. After spending many years commuting to long days chained to a desk in a high-pressure office environment, I'm loving my life. I have the dot-com meltdown and a (very) ill-advised law firm merger to thank. Sometimes things really do work out for the best!

I've been practicing law since the late '80s, and doing mostly the daddy thing since 2002.

I'd think I'd like to cook.

Never been to one, but I'm not that far from where PRS guitars are made. I think I'd like to visit their operation in the Annapolis area.

Have a good day! You too, Woodfixer! - ed

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:32 am

I do in fact enjoy my job. I'm a middle school teacher in South Central LA and have been doing so for the past six years. I have seen a lot of teachers and administrators come and go, but I like where I am right now. I have a good group of colleagues and a decent group of students. Every day is different and I ain't tired of it yet. Not sure if I'll do this forever, but for now I am fine.

That's a good question. Probably something working with my hands and creating something. Not sure exactly what though.

I've been to the Marin Guitar Show near San Francisco a few times and the Santa Monica Guitar show down here. The best part for me is usually seeing the Buffalo Bros. booth and then checking out all of the vintage gear. I can't say that I would have many other opportunities to play a '57 Strat or a '59 Les Paul. Each time I have been to a show, I have been sorely tempted to spend some major $$$. Each time though, I was able to walk away.

Lates,

Connor

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:45 am

[quote="Woodfixer"]
Todays questions..

I'm an architect by trade and love the work, but the economy has forced me to lay rather low the last couple of years. Hence, my more than usual presence on the G&LDP. Although, work has been picking up.

Architecture for about 18 years now (started late). I played music for a living the first 20 years of my adult life.

Well, I guess I am doing something else to fill in the gaps, and that's playing music. I'd gladly play and travel more if the pay was better.

I attended the Arlington Guitar Show last fall, and it was my very first. Of course, all of the guitars were great to see - I even ended up buying one later as a result - but I enjoyed meeting some GbL folks the most. Great fun!

JP

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:04 pm

I work in IT support for a county library system and I have been doing this for the past 16 years.

I enjoy my work and have up to now enjoyed the "stability" of a local gov't job, but that may change in the next few months with a bleak budget outlook for our county.

If I could do something else, I think I would like to play bass for a living, if that's possible in my area.

I would probably have to give lots of lessons to make it on the sparse nature of gigs in this economy.

I have been to a guitar show,it was held in Gathersburg MD at the Montgomery County fairgrounds about 8 years ago. I enjoyed being able to play so many different instruments and I was able to buy some hard to find parts for some of my restoration projects.

I also enjoyed not have to pay sales tax on items bought at the show! I think I got a tortoise shell guard for my Jazz bass at that show. :elguitar054:

Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:06 pm

I am a Regional Manager for a large Japanese Electronics Company. I work out of my house (headquarters is 2000 miles away). Been doing this for 20 years +.

Traveling sucks, but I get to go into all kinds of cool places, and meet some pretty interesting people. Generally, I really like my job.

If I could do something else, I would like to own a nice bar / restaurant.

I have been to our local Del Mar show, but it was tiny. Only Buffalo Bros was interesting.

Good questions Woody!

Gary G :sign0011:

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Hmm...perhaps an uncomfortable subject for me, but I'll give it a whirl.

I've been a real estate agent since 1986. It has its moments, although now isn't so much one of them. I got my real estate broker's license last year in order to be totally independent in my real estate dealings. It's a slow start, mostly due to personal inertia, sidetracking, divorce, windsurfing, guitar, etc. I truly was one who saw the writing on the walls in the real estate market back in the mid-2000's, when the disturbing trend of zero down loans, etc., became the rule, rather than the exception. If a R.E. professional didn't see this coming, they weren't paying attention, or attended too many "believe and receive" seminars. I did help many clients make good decisions, or at least make a marginal decision based on what has proven to be, and what should have been more common, prescience. If I don't sleep well at night, it isn't due to my having given people bad, and self-serving, advice.

My mistake (If I wanted to be a heavy real estate hitter) was in not cultivating relationships with the banks that would be foreclosing on the properties where people went in virtually upside down. I knew better, but didn't want to be as busy at that probably would have made me. There are a few people making a lot of money in real estate today. They are the ones who acted on their belief about the health of the market.

Do I enjoy selling real estate? Truthfully, not so much. I got into it because I truly wanted to make my own hours. Many years my personalized work ethic works out well. Some years it does not. I don't get any deep satisfaction in selling something that someone else made, and no real tangible value is created. Do I like giving people honest, professional service? Nice people, yes. Others, well, I owe it to them to give them good representation. Fortunately, most of the people I've represented are in the "nice" category.

If I had it all to do over again, whatever the "it" was that I did, I'd probably finish a 4 year degree, go to law school, and be an attorney. Contracts, more than people skills, are strong point in real estate. I think I've got the verbosity thing down. :o

Note: I once went for an interview for a job with an advertising company (1988'ish ?), as I was told (still am) that I have a flair for such things. They asked if I new "Mac". I didn't. They went "Next!". I do believe that not pursuing that type of career was one of my big mistakes. :fighting0030: self

I've been to one guitar show in my life. It was at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in Santa Monica, CA. It was a vintage guitar show. I met Tim Page there and bought myself a leather Buffalo Bro's guitar strap and T-shirt, along with a "bootleg-ish" Beatles DVD. It was in '06 or '07, so the recession wasn't yet upon us. Therefore, the prices of guitars completely blew my mind. They're still pretty high, but seem to have come down a bit.

Isn't time really just a process of elimination?

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:36 pm

I am a Sr. Electrical Engineer for a large power company and I very much enjoy my job. I deal with "smart" equipment inside substations. I'm sort of like an IT guy. You may have heard about "Smart Grid" buzzing in the media....well, I'm right smack dab in the middle of it.

I've been doing this for almost 8 years. I have changed engineering jobs a few times within the company.

Doing anything with music, building amps or guitars, archaeology, or if I could be on Mythbusters or Junkyard Wars or something similar

Back in 2008, I went to the Dallas Guitar Show. It is the only guitar show I have attended. I really liked meeting people (the G&LDPers and G&L factory folks andPaul Reed Smith) and seeing many rare guitars that I would not have seen otherwise. Jamming at Brian's house with the G&LDP gang after the show really took the cake though...
Last edited by Kodor on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm retired, but I used to conduct leadership and customer service seminars primarily. Occasionally, we would do some customer satisfaction research and organizational climate research projects for manufacturing, banks, sales & sales support operations, etc. I'm luvin retirement, but if I had to go back into the workforce [which COULD happen to any retiree in this economy], I think I'd want to continue the consulting path I was on. IF not that, I'd like to teach middle school, like Anglewood does.... a business or math curriculum if at all possible.

I've been to the Dallas guitar show once and to guitar shows in North & South Carolina several times. It is THE best way to see lots of guitars you'll never see anywhere else. Some you will even be able to fondle and play. And thanks to good ole American spirit of competition, you can get some very decent prices. Yard sale or friend-to-friend prices? No, but good prices considering that much of the risk is taken out of the purchase. And you'll be dealing with people who sell for a living and have a darn good idea what a guitar or amp is worth and can explain many of it's good points. You'll see the good, the bad, and the VERY ugly - but it just makes your confidence in your purchase better. I've come away with everything from a parlor guitar, to an ASAT Classic, to a Fuchs ODS 30 amp at guitars shows - and been thrilled with all the purchases down the road. I'd have to drive a thouseand miles to find as many guitars in stores as I'd find at a good guitar show.

AND.... guitar shows are a good place to meet professional musicians - well known and lesser known. Ole Helleman had a caravan of admirers following him around last Saturday at the Spartanburg Guitar Show. Right behind him can ole Tootie Hogan, who has done world tours with Roberta Flack and many well know acts, has played many well-known venues like Madison Square Garden, and has appeared on the Tonite Show with Johnny Carson. One of his jammin' buddy friends is ole Kevin Eubanks on the Tonite Show with Jay Leno. Will & Tootie both came to my booth and played some awesome stuff for the gathering crowds. And, ole Woodfixer got to meet Jamie D.....

Then he got to meet Helleman

After that, Helleman tore up my SC-3 Reissue that I got from RickT.

You just don't get all that packed into just any ole day. Worth the $9 cover charge.

Nice work, Woody

Jay

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:11 pm

I do like my job. I'm a programmer/web developer for a design magazine:

http://bit.ly/19Muh9

I've been there for almost 13 years.

I'd gladly retire early and spend the rest of my days playing music (Irish sessions, bands, whatever) and would love to live extreme rural with an organic garden patch big enough to provide for most of the year's veggies. Yes, retiring early would be very good!

Never. Big, noisy places with lots of stuff for sale are not really my thing.

Peace...

GDub

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:14 pm

Hey - it was great seeing John, Jay, Jamie and everyone else at the Spartanburg Guitar Show. Pretty fun, especially when you can hang with friends.

I'm a full time musician, so I'm doing my dream job I guess. Been doing it my whole life. Guess I'm lucky. If I could do anything else, I think I'd like to be in the movie business making films.

I go to a fair number of guitar shows when I can, kinda as a reality check on where guitar prices are.

WR

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Woodfixer wrote:Todays questions..

I absolutely love my job, but it's more about where I work and who I work with than what I do. I've been in industrial sales for 30+ years (welding industry for the last 20) and I've worked for some of the biggest asswipes in the USA, and some of the best bosses a guy could ask for. I'm glad I landed here as I head toward the end of my working life.

I'm not sure what else I'd want to do, to be honest. Playing music would be cool, but at some point it would become a job instead of a hobby, and that would stink.

I've been to a couple guitar shows. The Detroit Guitar Show is a complete joke. I've gone with Deuce and Milo multiple times over the years, and I always swear the last time would be the last time, if you know what I mean. I'm holding firm from now on - I'll never donate another $10 to walk around that poor excuse for a show. I hit the Columbus Guitar Show with Milo one year. It wasn't bad, but it pales in comparison to the big shows.

Ches

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Do you enjoy your job?
Most days.

What do you do?
As little as possible for the most return. :twisted:

Since they took off the security ankle bracelet. :P

Either own a bicycle shop or get Darth to pay me while I spend my days putting G&L stickers on cars in parking
lots.

Only two. 1995 Indianapolis and 1999 Atlanta. I liked the immediate gratification aspect of so many great guitars within reach. Wish I could have made it to Spartenburg, sounds like a great time.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:10 pm

I am a General Contractor. I enjoy what I do, except the paperwork and dealing with the local government building department. If I could do something else it would be guitar building. I love to do it!
Nice job this week....
A

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:32 pm

Greetings Mr. Fixer...

"Todays questions..
Do you enjoy your job? What do you do?"

Sure, my job is pretty cool. I program, set-up, and operate CNC machinery. Started working in shops in '87 as a gopher/shop hand and worked up the ladder. Only been at my current gig for a few months now after taking a few years off doing the Mr. Mom thing. Only just now getting my chops back at work. But as they say, 'It's just like riding a bike'...

"If you could do anything else, what would you enjoy?"

I'd rather be playing my geetar, but that only provides a couple tanks of gas and a few cases of Blatz a month, and I don't think the wife and kids would like living in a van down by the river.

"Have you been to a guitar show? Where? What did you enjoy about it the most?"

No, actually. one of these days I'll have to hit one of the biggies....

More Later...
BW