No votes
subsilver 2
No votes

Total votes : 0

Lunch Report, Monday March 8, 2010

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:28 am

A good day to you all,

What's for lunch?:
Don't know yet. Ordinarily it is Thai Monday, but I have taken the day off so hopefully I can take my wife out for lunch after her massage shift ends. Might still be Thai though.

Funny that the same picture got me into 'trouble' again. RickT nominated me in November last year when he saw what Woodfixer called my 'harem'. Well, thanks for the nod Woodfixer John. And a shout-out to our photographer in residence, Griff! You're registered but I haven't seen you yet on the new forum. What's up?

For those that don't know me, I am a PhD physicist, now software developer in the Seattle area working for PopCap Games. I have been playing guitar for 3/4 of my life and have seriously started to collect ASAT models for about a year and a half. Absolute closet-rocker/geek.

At first, I wanted to stick to G&L guitars for the whole week. But after reading some remarks that appeared on the new forum, the geek in me decided to hijack this Monday for something completely different. There haven't been too many people who have moved over from the old to the new; currently there are 154 registered members. In part this constitutes a much needed clean-up. But it also seems that some folks have a hard time with the transition. Many of you may know this stuff and be :roll:, but I think and hope that for many it will be new. Hopefully, this post will help. But be forewarned, it will be dry :ugeek:

So here is the Question of the Day:
What tips and tricks can you offer to our brethren such that we can ease their transition and involvement?
What would you discourage them to do?

First, I like to collect some data. So there is a poll at the top, asking you what style you are using. It'll be up for 5 days, so you have ample time to do some testing and than make your choice. The rest of this post is in essence a FAQ on how to use this forum and I hope that with all of your input, we can create a document that Craig might be willing to give its own place on the site.

Q- What do I get with each of these styles?

I have looked at 4 different aspects:
  1. Are there easy links that allow me to quickly read unread posts? Some styles show links in the upper right corner including a "First unread post" link on all pages. Some only show these links on the "Board Index" page.
  2. Is there a legend to explain the icons used? Some styles show a legend at the bottom that tell you what each icon means.
  3. Where is the author column? Some styles have it to the left and some to the right. For those that are to the right, some pictures in posts may seem to be cropped. And there is no scroll bar showing up at the bottom to indicate that. Your only remedy is to resize the whole browser window. For the styles with the authors on the left, a scroll bar will show up at the bottom, indicating there is more content outside the right border of your browser.
  4. Is there an icon that indicates whether you contributed to the topic? All style have variations on icons that indicate that you contributed to the topic. I have seen dots at 11 o'clock and stars at 2 o'clock, depending on the style.

Here is the matrix (I tried to build a table here but wasn't successful since HTML is not rendered on this forum. Anybody knows how to do that using BBCodes?):

1. AcidTechGreen: links: all pages, icon legend: yes, author on: left, contribution icon: yes
  2. proDark : links: only Board Index, icon legend: no , author on: right, contribution icon: yes
  3. prosilver : links: only Board Index, icon legend: no , author on: right, contribution icon: yes
  4. subsilver 2 : links: all pages, icon legend: yes, author on: left, contribution icon: yes

Q- How can I set this style?

Find the "User Control Panel" link in the top part of your page. Then select the "Board Preferences" tab. There you will find a "My board style" entry with a drop-down list to the right. Select your style and hit the "Submit" button. Wait for your page to refresh (or force it to) and voila!

Q- I would like to edit a previous contribution. Can I do that?

Yes, use the "Edit" button you'll see when you view your contribution. To quickly get to your contribution, use the "View your posts" link you'll find in the upper part of the page, either left or right depending on style.

Q- Can I delete my post?

Yes, the cross icon visible when you view your post allows you to delete the post. But be aware that other people may already have reacted to your post. This will disable the delete feature.

Q- How can I include the source of a quote I want to include?

When you include a quote the following tags appear when you press the BBCode button for quote:
Code:
[quote][/quote]
You can attribute the author by simply changing the first tag in the following way:
Code:
[quote="author in quotes"][/quote]

Q- I want to work some longer on my contribution. Can I save it?

Yes you can. There is a "Save" button next to the "Submit" button. After it has been saved, this is how your retrieve it: First select "New topic". Now there will be an additional "Load" button,. When you click that a list will open at the top of your page with all your drafts. Hit the "Load draft" button of the one you want to continue. Note that if the same post is saved several times, there will be multiple entries in the list. Just choose the latest, or revert to an earlier version isf so wanted.

Q- How can I avoid becoming next weeks Lunch Reporter?

Well, do not register and I cannot send you a mail! But then again, you won't be able to contribute to the forum either. So come on board and try it. Especially the AcidTechGreen style will work like your 'methadon' to ease you into a new habit ;-)

Tomorrow back to :elguitar054:!
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Lunch Report, Monday March 8, 2010

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:38 am

Mmmmm....thai!
There's a couple of really good Thai restaurants here in Baton Rouge. Might have to hit the buffet at the Thai Kitchen for lunch tommorow. They have these spare ribs that are killer.

I think a lot of folks just haven't transitioned over to the new site. I think some folks just haven't taken the time to register for this new site. I see most of the old guard here, but there are a few regulars that I'm not seeing. I hope they make their way over here eventually.

I don't really visit the forums as much as I used too. Been really busy at work, and I just don't have the free time to hit the forums regularly.
I like the new site though. The change has been needed for a while now. Much cleaner, easier interface (and I can EDIT posts!!!!!) :happy0065:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:04 pm

I voted for the Acid Green.
Good pointers on how to use the site.
What I dig a lot is the little face guys.
I find these really funny :BadPC: :searching: :scared0016:
My favorite is :PCrevenge: feel this way sometimes, I'm a chicken pecker typer.
Love Thai food!
John

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Woodfixer wrote: I'm a chicken pecker typer.

Chicken pecker..... :happy0007:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Woodpecker wrote:I'm a chicken pecker typer.

That makes 2 of us then! It provides an unending source of entertainment for my colleagues. It always light up the mood when they can razz me on my typing skills. But 2 things I would like to mention:
  1. in the software profession it is is not the typing that is the problem but rather the ID10T error (pronounced as I D 10 T) and EBKAC (i.e. "Problem between keyboard and chair") :sign0002:
  2. And dang it, I wrote my thesis that way and I'm sticking to it ;)

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:09 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
So here is the Question of the Day:
What tips and tricks can you offer to our brethren such that we can ease their transition and involvement?
What would you discourage them to do?

My tips are:

- Read the board FAQ
- Read the G&LDP Guidelines
- Post questions and suggestions on the G&LDP forum & guitarsbyleo.com site Discussion forum
- Take the time and try each of the four Styles. Then choose the one you like best.
- Visit your User Control Panel and see all the settings which allow you to customize your Style.
- Check out the Search feature-it is quite extensive and customizable.

I guess I would discourage members who are not familiar with this type of forum environment not to pre-judge
this change from G&LDP V1.0 to G&LDP V2.0. Try out all the options and views.

First, I like to collect some data. So there is a poll at the top, asking you what style you are using. It'll be up for 5 days, so you have ample time to do some testing and than make your choice. The rest of this post is in essence a FAQ on how to use this forum and I hope that with all of your input, we can create a document that Craig might be willing to give its own place on the site.

Sure, that would be great. I'll add it as a Sticky in the G&LDP forum & guitarsbyleo.com site Discussion forum.

Q- What do I get with each of these styles?

I have looked at 4 different aspects:
  1. Are there easy links that allow me to quickly read unread posts? Some styles show links in the upper right corner including a "First unread post" link. Some don't.

They all have the links when you are in the Board index. AcidTech Green and subsilver2 have them in all views.

Here is the matrix (I tried to build a table here but wasn't successful since HTML is not rendered on this forum. Anybody knows how to do that using BBCodes?):

I'll look and see if there are any table building BBCodes.

1. AcidTechGreen: links: yes, icon legend: yes, author on: left, contribution icon: yes
  2. proDark : links: no, icon legend: no , author on: right, contribution icon: yes
  3. prosilver : links: no, icon legend: no , author on: right, contribution icon: yes
  4. subsilver 2 : links: yes, icon legend: yes, author on: left, contribution icon: yes

Again, the proDark and prosilver Styles have links, but only in the Board index view.

Q- Can I delete my post?

Yes, the cross icon visible when you view your post allows you to delete the post. But be aware that other people may already have reacted to your post and these responses now hang in a kind of vacuum.

Actually, if someone posts a reply to your post, you will not be able to delete it, and that option will not be shown.
From FAQ: Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied.

Q- How can I avoid becoming next weeks Lunch Reporter?

Well, do not register and I cannot send you a mail! But then again, you won't be able to contribute to the forum either. So come on board and try it. Especially the AcidTechGreen style will work like your 'methadon' to ease you into a new habit ;-)

While I realize you are not serious, but there has been a lot of confusion about Lunch Reporter nominations. The correct way
of doing it is to post the nomination a day or two before your term is up. Should that nominee not be able to perform the LR duties, they are supposed to choose an alternate by posting an alternate nomination. So, one can gracefully decline the nomination and provide an alternate.

Good start
:thumbup:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
I'm a chicken pecker typer.

I have the opposite problem: I type like a mo-fo. I can do it blindfolded. Typing was the best course I ever took in my life. My problem is I can't play guitar worth a damn. I'll make you a deal: I'll type out your thoughts if you can play the music swirling around in my head that I'll never be able to express. Well? - ed

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:00 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:I'm a chicken pecker typer.

"Woodpecker"?! Where did that come from? Must have been some Freudian slip on my side. Sorry John (Woodfixer), there was no pun intended :oops: But reading it again ...

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm

willross wrote:The green looks good and you can use some of the "old" images too... phpBB was a good choice. It's been around long enough to be "stable". So now maybe promote it by sponsoring another forum-designed guitar.

Cheers,
Will

Great suggestion. I'll take a G&LDP green Legacy with matching headstock, black crinkle hardware with two big MFD's and a single coil MFD in the middle position. 8-) :rolleyes: 8-) :rolleyes:

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:12 pm

I updated my LR with the corrections suggested by Craig on which styles show links where, and when you can and cannot delete a message. Thanks Craig! Much appreciated!

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm sure that all of your suggestions would be very helpful but it's so much of it is Greek to me. If it ain't intuitive, it ain't gonna happen, quickly anyway. I'll muddle through though.

BTW: The acid trip green is sort of cool to look at for a short time :shocked028: , and is reminiscent of the long lost green board, but I find the silver/blue/grey much easier on the eyes. :crazy: 8-)

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:11 pm

I'm using the Acid Tech Green just for old times sake.

You guys seem to have covered all of the hints.

I would rec. that all board members get a free image hosting account from one of the various sites that host pictures.

That way you can share you best G&L shots.