Lunch Report Monday March 1

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:24 am

Thanks Sam for the LR nominaion. It has been a long time since I had the honor.

Lunch today is a egg and sausage sandwich on a hoagie.

I guess I'll bore you with some pics of a 1938 Kalamazoo L31 carved archtop I just restored for a Lynn. A very good singer that plays an Autoharp.
Gibson offered this line during the other depression.I replaced the frets and dressed them down very low. Recut a nut. Action wanted way low.
Refinished with less black on the top as I prefer this look, repaired holes and binding, glued up top that was loose, new Golden Age vintage style tuners from Stew Mac that are almost identical to the originals.
Added a ebony Benedetto pickguard. I love this guitar as a relic of its day but can't compare to a modern acoustic. They have little value, up to aprox. $1500.
By far the oldest guitar I have ever worked on. It has a gorgeous arch lines on top and back. Very easy to play, short scale.

Questions for the day..

What is the oldest guitar you've owned or have played?

How did it sound compared to todays guitars?

What oldie do you wish you had?

Next up review of South Carolina show.

Now I have to figure out whats for dinner..

John :music002:

Hey Craig why isn't there a image upload function? :PCrevenge:

Re: Lunch Report Monday March 1

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:17 am

Hey John,

Yet another example of your talent!!

Questions for the day..

Late 60's Musicmaster, my first electric guitar.

Neat little guitar but nowhere near current G&L's.

Just because the are standards, a 50's Broadcaster and a pre war Martin D-28.

Great start. :happy0065:

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:19 am

Nice job on the old Gibson.

An old sunburst is very difficult to match and your did a great job.

The oldest guitar I have played is my 1936 Cathedranola, a psuedo resonator guitar.

It needs some work so I don't remember it's tone right now.

Bill

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 am

Great work on Lynn's ole Kalamazoo, there Mr. Woodfixer! Not only did I see it before AND after in person, I played it also. The difference in playability was even greater than the difference in appearance. It actually does play and sound good now; whereas, it hardly played at all and didn't sound good before. Frankly, it was useless before.

I did see several ole Kalamazoo guitars at the guitar show yesterday. Most looked their age and had some crazing going on in the finishes. The cleanest one was a refinish and it was priced at $1100. The most relic'd looking one was priced at $2250. So, there ya are. I didn't play either one...... but there was a certain Guild parlor geetar that had my eye.

Thisrefinish work Woodfixer has done for me: a SC-3 version 3 [with pickguard], an '86 ASAT, and a modded SC-3 version 2 [no pickguard]. Like new... and better.

The oldest guitar I've played was Lynn's Kalamazoo. The oldest guitar I've owned is a '71 SG [still have]. I prefer the older axes and really don't mind the finish rubbed off or a weathered & worn look. My fave players are all 80s models: ASAT, SC-2, S-500, Skyhawk, & an employee guitar that is something between a SC-2 & a G200. They all have some stuff going on with their finishes and fingerboards. Luv 'em, luv 'em, luv 'em!!

Great start, dude.

Jay

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:57 am

Nice restoration on the Gibson especially fixing the hole in the upper bout. Things like that are the reason I don't work on acoustic guitars. The oldest guitar I have is my dad's Washburn parlor guitar the he bought in a pawn shop many years ago. Looking forward to your reports here on the new look forum.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:21 pm

What is the oldest guitar you've owned or have played? How did it sound compared to todays guitars?

The oldest guitar I own is a 1957 Gibson J-50. I just recently had the top and headstock repaired. The top had some cracks and was poorly refinished by the original owner, but I found a guy that did a heck of a job. It sounds like the classic Gibson Jumbo sound...beautiful.

The oldest guitar I've played is an early 1940's Martin D-17 that belongs to Homer Bailes of the famous Bailes Brothers (Grand Ole Opry, and co-founders of the Louisiana Hayride). Bro. Homer was our preacher back home in North Louisiana. He mainly played fiddle, but he also played guitar. The Martin was in great shape (well-taken care of) and it has the classic Martin Dreadnought sound.

1959 Les Paul, 1951 Telecaster, 1957 Strat, and throw in a 1969 GTO Judge while you're at it.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:42 pm

John,

Excellent restoration. Could go for an acoustic archtop.

'Course at the Spartanburg Gtr Show, wanted one of everythang.

Had a 50s Epiphone hollow body.
"Tin" headstock logo.
Think it may have had P90s when new. Previous owner had installed hummers.
Owned it back in the late 70s/early 80s.
Traded it off for something, but don't remember.

jamie

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:04 pm

The oldest I have owned was a '67 Gibson LG-0, unfortunately I just couldn't bond with the skinny neck that it had. Other than that, I know for sure that I played a '52 Gibson J-45, boy was that sweet!

The LG was OK, but the J-45 was heavenly. I am of the opinion that old wood does sound great, but that isn't the only factor.

A pretty standard list I guess: '59 Les Paul, '51 Broadcaster, '57 Strat, also add in a '56 single cut Les Paul Jr. Good Start for the new page!

Lates,

Connor

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:28 pm

Woodfixer wrote:Questions for the day..

Nice work on the old Gibson!

The oldest guitar I've ever owned is a second body style SC-3. The oldest I've ever played is probably an old acoustic, but the one I remember is a 1950-something Strat. I don't know if I'd say I "played" it. I held it and strummed a few chords is all, then handed it back to the owner. Since I didn't plug it in, I'd say it sounded like every other unplugged Strat I've ever played!

If I was to wish for an oldie, I'd wish for a 1959 Les Paul. Then I'd sell that beast!

Nice start to the week!
Ches

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:27 pm

As others have commented, that's a GREAT restoration job! I envy your talent and skill. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who might like to hear a bit about how you developed your interested and skill in restoring wood, instruments, etc. My dad wasn't handy, and as a consequence, I'm pretty worthless with tools....

I'm curious as to whether the Gibby project was one that made sense strictly from an economic standpoint. It seems to me that the time and materials you invested might well be worth more than the instrument.......

The oldest guitar I own is a 1975 Yamaha FG-170 acoustic. The oldest I've played may just be a '57 Strat. That guitar was cool to hold, but in truth couldn't hold a candle to my Legacy in terms of design and build quality.

Nice start! - ed

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:52 pm

:clap: :clap:

Nice work on the old Gibson, woodfixer. It looks like you really brought that one back. I've never played anything that old but would like to someday.

The oldest guitar I've played is probably my circa '75 Alvarez 5056 acoustic. It's got great tone. Mellow and deep, something I'm sure comes from aging. It stands to reason, as I too am getting mellower and deeper in my old age, perhaps even a little cooler :ugeek: (So says I.).