New G&L member.. question..

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:10 am

Hope this works, (first post) just picked up a 94 ASAT Classic. First , I thought this was a cherry burst, but now thinking it's a tabacco burst. Any confirmation?. The thing was a little boogered up. Some owner put in a Fender middle pickup, but the guy I bought it from put it back to original, except for the route, which I'm thinking of blocking, and of course an extra hole in the control plate. I have a plate ordered, and new saddles. I will have to make a pickguard to fit to cover the extra holes put in from aftermarket guards. Or I have thought about planing the top down, put a drop top on, maybe quilted maple, (and refinish the whole body) but think I'll leave it for now.
Anywho, love this site!, and the guitar!

Thanks
JP

Re: New G&L member.. question..

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:00 am

Pereyra wrote:Image

Hope this works, (first post) just picked up a 94 ASAT Classic. First , I thought this was a cherry burst, but now thinking it's a tabacco burst. Any confirmation?. The thing was a little boogered up. Some owner put in a Fender middle pickup, but the guy I bought it from put it back to original, except for the route, which I'm thinking of blocking, and of course an extra hole in the control plate. I have a plate ordered, and new saddles. I will have to make a pickguard to fit to cover the extra holes put in from aftermarket guards. Or I have thought about planing the top down, put a drop top on, maybe quilted maple, (and refinish the whole body) but think I'll leave it for now.
Anywho, love this site!, and the guitar!

Thanks
JP

Welcome! :greet:

Please see this post as it will help you navigate our GbL website and G&LDP forum: Welcome! Read This First.

It look's like Cherryburst to me, as the burst looks redder than the TB of that time frame, which was more toward a brownish tone.
However, it might just be how your photo shows on my Mac laptop.

The body is a nice piece of Swamp Ash, just too bad the previous owner hacked at it. :BadIdea:
I notice that you registered (edited existing entry) and indicate the body it Alder.

When you have decided on what you want to do in on this guitar's body, then post some photos of the project in The Project Page sub-forum.

:sign0011:

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks Craig! Yes, I originally thought it was ash, since most others seem to be, but I figured through reading posts, as it is a standard finish, it would be Alder. It is a bit more reddish than the photo shows. The Cherryburst I've seen pics of seemed to have a lot more color sprayed. Do you think it matters if I leave the routed cavity open, or block it with some maple or something. I don't plan to use it, but it will be covered with pickguard. The guy also flipped the contols to make it easier for access volume for swells, makes some sense I guess.
Also, I had some thoughts of routing it out to a semi hollow, which would of course require a drop top. I have built basses with Koa drop tops, so it wouldn't be my first attempt. I also build Ukuleles full time (if you can call it that).

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Actually, I have to restate my opinion on the color. It's fairly close on my laptop, it may actually be a little browner in reality. I touched up a few chips near screw holes, and 'Sedona red' was pretty close however, so...? Maybe the amber laquer gives it a brownish hue.

JP