asat owner

Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:57 am

hello there.
I have purchased a second hand asat last year. This forum was a very nice source of information about this rare bird. A 25 years old lady in perfect condition. I really like it and wanted to share a pic of her with you.
I wanted also to know if the body is really maple!? :?: The other option was swamp ash, according to the registry.
Thanks you.

Re: asat owner

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:31 am

she's a real beauty !! ..... I got my first ASAT used also , mines only 15 years old

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:59 am

chle wrote:hello there.
I have purchased a second hand asat last year. This forum was a very nice source of information about this rare bird. A 25 years old lady in perfect condition. I really like it and wanted to share a pic of her with you.
I wanted also to know if the body is really maple!? :?: The other option was swamp ash, according to the registry.
Thanks you.

Looks like maple to me.

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Oh, that's maple alright! Beautiful ASAT III you have there. They are some fine guitars. Congrats :happy0065:

- Jos

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:14 pm

How common was it in those days to have exposed grain maple bodies? My impression is that they were using maple at the time primarily due to its lower cost and the specimens they generally used did not necessarily look that good, so most were painted opaque. Is this correct?

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks you for your answers.
Yes it's a fine guitar. My first G&L! The neck is amazing, a thin C shape. Probably the best neck i have ever tried But the guitar weights really heaavvvyy!

I was looking for a used classic S or a nashville... or a tele with a strat neck pickup or why not an offset guitar... And found this one and fell in love at first sight. I dont know why! I bought it to a guy who got it from his guitar teacher a long time ago. I feel very lucky and honored because these vintage Asat are very rare in Europe.

Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Welcome to the forum. Great looking Asat III.-- Darwin

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi chle,

Welcome to the forum and that is one great looker. Now I must say, to assure body wood type, set up and sound check it should be sent my way as soon as possible! :evilgrin:

Very cool ASAT III, share more pics and come around often.

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:38 pm

suave eddie wrote:How common was it in those days to have exposed grain maple bodies? My impression is that they were using maple at the time primarily due to its lower cost and the specimens they generally used did not necessarily look that good, so most were painted opaque. Is this correct?

Pretty common. I have an ASAT III in Cherryburst where you see the maple underneath. If you go to the G&L section of Greg Gagliano's GGJaguar web site, you can find a fair number of SC-3s, ASATs, and other models with maple body and transparent finish.

- Jos

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:45 pm

I agree, looks like maple to me. Grain is tighter and not as pronounced as ash. I'm no expert, but I think having "Leo Fender" signature on the headstock makes it even more rare and desirable, as far as a collector would be concerned. How does she sound? The ASAT III I have (much newer issue) sounds fantastic, and in particular a well voiced tone control. Very even treble roll off, allowing for a wide variety of very useful sounds. (Yeah, I know, it reads like ad copy but its still true)

Congrats on the acquisition. Must be ASAT III night.